Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

"Go back to your own country"

On 27 Nov 2016 at 2:06pm Pedro73 wrote:
A 73-year-old pensioner visitor to Lewes from the continent, I was exercising a local friend's small dog a few days ago on the playing fields behind Tesco, when a large lurcher stole our tennis ball and promptly sat down to chew it to bits. His lady owner said: "Don't try and take it - he'll bite you - he'd bite us too." During the 10 minutes I stood talking with the woman and partner, they admitted that training sessions had failed to change their pet's behaviour and they normally carried a spare ball to replace those he grabbed. Eventually, with the ball deflated, the dog lost interest and dropped it. When i asked why they didn't walk him on a lead, the man replied: "If you don't like it here, go back to your own country." I elected not to tell him I was Lewes born, bred and educated.
On 27 Nov 2016 at 4:50pm Unlucky wrote:
Doesn't say a lot just beacuse you were born bred and educated in lewes
On 27 Nov 2016 at 5:53pm @Unlucky wrote:
It says exactly what he said it says, he was born, bred and educated here. What more than that do you want? I would of loved to have heard that conversation, it would of ended in a different way that's for sure, I would of taken the ball off the dog and if it had bit me I would of kicked its arse, followed by that of the owners. If you're dog behaves like this, think on, muzzle your dog and put a lead in it... Before you meet someone like me at the park.
On 27 Nov 2016 at 5:55pm Gerty wrote:
Is that you dave?
On 27 Nov 2016 at 6:37pm george wrote:
A visiting French friend of mine - who used to live here - was told the same thing on Bonfire after he apologised to a woman for accidentally bumping into her.
There really are some unpleasant morons here.
On 27 Nov 2016 at 7:00pm Golly gosh wrote:
Never experienced that in lewes, I'm sure you get some of that especially after the brexit result all over the country but luckily few and far between here
On 27 Nov 2016 at 7:33pm Ally wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that you experienced that Pedro. Please rest assured that people like this are in the minority. Although being born, bred and educated in Lewes you will already know that. To be honest, if they are the type of people to be so irresponsible and negligent with their dog then they are going to be the exact same type of people who are downright rude and ill mannered.
They sound vile.
I bet they wouldn't have dared to say that to a 6 foot muscly younger man.
I love the response from '@Unlucky'. I wish that dog owner had bumped in to him at the back of Tesco's instead of you.
On 27 Nov 2016 at 9:08pm Shouty wrote:
Yes, it's very unusual to hear comments like that. Unless it's about people from London of course because it's fine to tell them to go back where they came from........ In fact, if you replace the word DFL with black or Irish you could almost imagine that you're back in the 1950s.
On 27 Nov 2016 at 9:54pm Local wrote:
Of? OF?? It's have. Not of. Deary me...
On 27 Nov 2016 at 10:53pm Clifford wrote:
An Italian friend, when it was his turn to buy a round, went to the bar in the Royal Oak and tried - in his not very good by comprehensible English - to order the drinks. The barman took the piss out of his accent. I said, 'Let's leave' and have never been back to the pub since. So, Yes, Lewes has some backward people.
On 28 Nov 2016 at 6:02am Foreigner wrote:
I lived in Lewes for 10 years after coming up from Brighton - after having the temerity to ask my neighbour nicely to stop letting her dog poo in the street, including shared access areas and my garden she told me 'I was born and bred in Lewes and I have the right to let my dog cr@p wherever I want it to' 500k for a bog standard semi does not always make for civilised people....
On 28 Nov 2016 at 6:51am Pedro73 wrote:
Unlucky, I should have been more explicit - I implied , by reminding Forum readers of my Lewes connection, that I had the same right as the problem dog's owners to use a public space. If a dog misbehaves, it's generally the owner's that need educating - not the animal.
On 28 Nov 2016 at 9:26am @Unlucky wrote:
Thanks for correcting me, but you're wrong.
It's "of" not "have" as the meaning in that sentence is "of course".
"would *of course* ended" and "would *of course* taken ", therefore it is "of" not "have".
Please also note my use of the word "have" on the line above "loved to have heard".
On 28 Nov 2016 at 9:31am Kinja wrote:
Back to the 70s how wonderful. Freedom of speech and all that

On 28 Nov 2016 at 9:52am Clean wrote:
Take yer drugs back and all
On 28 Nov 2016 at 9:54am Pedro73 wrote:
Unlucky: Where did that come from? Get a life, my friend, get a life.....
On 28 Nov 2016 at 11:25am Tom Pain wrote:
I would guess that Pedro at the age of 73 has learned that there are some very unpleasant people in the world. They will do and say unpleasant things. One of them is to pick on someone of any minority whatsoever, racial,sexual,social or political. That's life,avoid them whenever possible. They enjoy causing dissent and division and one of their techniques is criticism,the more veiled the better. I hope that Pedro would never stoop to that level. P.S. I don't believe he really exists.
On 28 Nov 2016 at 1:07pm Bloody Wog wrote:
Some very thin skinned people about.
Sticks and stones…
On 28 Nov 2016 at 1:18pm local too wrote:
@unlucky don't be a dunce all your life. Local is right.
"........I would HAVE loved to have heard that conversation, it would HAVE ended in a different way that's for sure, I would HAVE taken the ball off the dog and if it had bit me I would of kicked its arse....."
On 28 Nov 2016 at 1:42pm @Local too wrote:
Don't correct people when you have no clue what you're talking about.
"........I would OF COURSE loved to have heard that conversation, it would OF COURSE ended in a different way that's for sure, I would OF COURSE taken the ball off the dog and if it had bit me I would OF COURSE kicked its arse....."
On 28 Nov 2016 at 1:51pm Erm..... wrote:
Should still have the word 'have' in there even after pretending the word 'course' was invisibly typed. I believe you are talking cr@p Unlucky!
On 28 Nov 2016 at 2:09pm @Unlucky wrote:
Whilst I admit I was lazy in my typing, you are missing the point of what I am saying. You assumed I meant "have" as I have now said several times, I did not. I meant "of course".
"........I would, OF COURSE, loved to have heard that conversation, it would, OF COURSE, ended in a different way that's for sure, I would, OF COURSE, taken the ball off the dog and if it had bit me I would, OF COURSE, kicked its arse....."
"would" can indeed be followed by "of", it is not "should" which is followed by "have".
Please also note @Unlucky is NOT Unlucky (different posters).
On 28 Nov 2016 at 2:28pm Bert wrote:
There are some massive liars on here.
Some of this stuff should be under the title Things That Never Happened
On 28 Nov 2016 at 2:48pm your a tuff nut wrote:
@unlucky ,,and if I was watching ,I would of kicked your arse !
On 28 Nov 2016 at 3:29pm @Chuff nut wrote:
"Of course you would have" sweet heart x
On 28 Nov 2016 at 3:35pm Erm... wrote:
You meant "you're a tuff nut" not "your a tuff nut"?
And it's "would have kicked your arse"!
On 28 Nov 2016 at 3:39pm Pedro73 wrote:
Come on Guys! Show a little respect. I really don't want my thread hijacked for an unfocussed debate on the whys and wherefores of the English language. Let's focus on the essentials: walking a potentially dangerous dog in a public place without a muzzle or restrained by a lead poses a threat not only to adults and other dogs, but small children.
The dog is not to blame. It's behaviour was entirely due to the failure of the owners to train their pet. Striking out verbally at someone whom they think is a foreigner was just sub-conscious recognition that he hadn't a leg to stand upon.

On 28 Nov 2016 at 4:30pm your're a tuff nut wrote:
@unlucky chuff nut ,,I will next time I see you ! ok honky tonks !
On 28 Nov 2016 at 4:35pm @Pedro73 wrote:
A pensioner who says "guys"?
Yeah all right
#thingsthatneverhappened
On 28 Nov 2016 at 5:17pm Erm........ wrote:
Sorry Unlucky, it still doesn't make sense even when you have filled in your imaginary words. I'm wondering whether you imagined any other words that aren't included in your last message, because at the moment you are just making yourself look even stupider!
On 28 Nov 2016 at 6:12pm pedro73 wrote:
Yes, Tom Pain, I do exist! I am a Belgian pensioner, since I've lived there most of my adult life. And, I am 73. In English, I use also expressions like "you guys" and "whatever" or "I'm good, " which didn't really have the meanings they have today when in the 1960s I attended the former Lewes County Secondary School for Boys in Mountfield Road.

On 28 Nov 2016 at 8:39pm Unlucky wrote:
@erm.......
Was that meant for me or @Unlucky

On 29 Nov 2016 at 9:04am Pedro73 wrote:
You mean there are two Unlucky people in Lewes? Sorry. I meant the @Unlucky. Peace.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 1:25pm Curious wrote:
Pedro73 are you pedro's dad? Because if you are you should be ashamed of yourself, he has a terrible drug habit you know
On 29 Nov 2016 at 11:29pm Happy dog owner wrote:
Pedro, are you saying you were basically throwing a tennis ball for your dog and another dog saw the fun and joined in but wouldn't give you your ball back? And you blame the owner? Get a grip pal. In fact I suggest you do go back to your own country, as I'm sure you probably think you own it, I lose many a ball to other dogs and actually enjoy watching them enjoy theirselves. Are you not just a bitter old man?

On 2 Dec 2016 at 8:05pm Pedro73 wrote:
Happy Dog Owner appears to have a comprehension problem with plain English apart from being overtly racist. I'm a dog lover, but not enthusiastic about dog owners knowingly letting their animal loose in public when they admit it would bite them if they approached it, let alone anyone else. Even someone with your restricted mental capacity must surely understand that? And yes, I'm leaving for Belgium shortly, but will be back since I'm comforted by the fact that people like you are a very small minority in Lewes, the town in which I grew up and was educated before seeking broader horizons.

On 2 Dec 2016 at 9:00pm Dingbat wrote:

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes Castle from below 61:132
Lewes Castle from below

That's going to blight a lot of people's view across the Ouse. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy