Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Giving up smoking....

On 2 Dec 2008 at 7:11pm Lauren wrote:
Why is it when you give up smoking you feel so ill. It's only been a week and i've got a stinking cold and ache all over! Come on FA and all you other giver uppers, any tips? would it be worth taking some vitamins?

On 2 Dec 2008 at 7:15pm Nullfy wrote:
You might have had the cold and aches anyway. I don't think there are any tips. If you want to stop smoking, stick with it. If you want to keep smoking and try again another time, have a cigarette. Nobody will think any less of you.

On 2 Dec 2008 at 7:28pm Chav wrote:
Can you lot stop giving up for gods sake. I keep having to go out side the boozer on me own. And when I'm coffin me guts up, it would be nice to have someone else doin it too so I don't look stupid. Long live fags and booze!

On 2 Dec 2008 at 7:53pm walter wrote:
Hey Chav my Dad will come with you, but you'll have to wheel him out cos he's got no legs anymore cos the insides of them fell apart and he had to go to hospital about 3 times to have bits taken off him because of fags. Or my Auntie, she's gone blind, but she'll no doubt know you cos she can sniff you out.

On 2 Dec 2008 at 7:59pm MC wrote:
I found eating it helped.

On 2 Dec 2008 at 8:06pm FA wrote:
lauren....it's all the toxins coming out of your system and the fact that you're probably having nicotine withdrawal symptoms...which, im reliably informed, can be as bad as going cold turkey with Heroin !!!
This will be no consolation to you at all Lauren but ive never been so ill or been to the doctors as many times in my life as i have in the past 5 years....i was almost on first name terms with the quacks at one point !!!
Keep going Lauren and good luck hun....you know where i am if you need a natter

On 2 Dec 2008 at 8:30pm Lauren wrote:
Thanks sweetheart x

On 2 Dec 2008 at 8:45pm Chav wrote:
No legs eh walter? Tell you what then, if he don't want a whole fag, I could take him out for a drag.

On 2 Dec 2008 at 8:58pm zola wrote:
Lauren,if it's any consolation,I have given up giving up.'Til tomorrow anyway.
If you have managed a week,good on you.But I agree with the comment about forever being ill since you give up.We must keep these threads going cos I need all the encouragement I can get at the moment...
What methods have you tried? I have tried willpower (Ha!!) patches and gum,and Alan Carr.
I have hypnotherapy to go,probably colonic irrigation...And all my family have given up,so I can't even blame them....
Again,comments and ideas welcome.
Except you Chav.Kissy Kiss.....

On 2 Dec 2008 at 8:58pm zola wrote:
Lauren,if it's any consolation,I have given up giving up.'Til tomorrow anyway.
If you have managed a week,good on you.But I agree with the comment about forever being ill since you give up.We must keep these threads going cos I need all the encouragement I can get at the moment...
What methods have you tried? I have tried willpower (Ha!!) patches and gum,and Alan Carr.
I have hypnotherapy to go,probably colonic irrigation...And all my family have given up,so I can't even blame them....
Again,comments and ideas welcome.
Except you Chav.Kissy Kiss.....

On 2 Dec 2008 at 9:10pm Lopster wrote:
hypochondriac - it must be this bird-flu we've heard so much about - a far weaker strain than man-flu which really is nasty and knocks you for six

On 2 Dec 2008 at 9:19pm rene wrote:
My friends husband was a very very heavy smoker and had hypnotherpy how may sessions i don't know,but its been well over a year now.I use to smoke and i never said i was going to give up i just said ok lets see how long i can go with out a fag and as the hours turned to days and so fourth its been about 17 years now.Tend to agree wiv earlier thread u may have just picked up a cold anyway so just go with the flow and try to not beat yourself up if u have a fag .

On 2 Dec 2008 at 9:58pm Angry of Lewes (Retd) wrote:
I've actually just started smoking again recently in a bid to stand up for the individual's freedom of speech and right of choice - feel it so unfair that this ban was introduced in such a draconian fashion - what is wrong with pubs offerring dedicated smoking rooms for example - shame that so often smoker's should stand out in the rain, so I go out and join my mates for a fag - and very sociable they are too - I ponce loads of fags and never need to buy any - they are so grateful for the company that they flash their own for me - I would buy me own but can't get Senior Service anymore

On 2 Dec 2008 at 9:59pm Chav wrote:
Oh yeah, and Walter, if your auntie is fit, can you tell her I look like Brad Pit please.

On 3 Dec 2008 at 8:26am lauren wrote:
Hi Zola, good for trying to kick it. All you can do is take one day at a time. Im actually doing it with will power, so far so good, maybe i should have tried patches but never mind im this far so hayho. Stick with it girl :-)

On 3 Dec 2008 at 8:53am sashimi wrote:
Lauren, the first week is the worst and if you've got over that you've beaten the physical addiction. The psychological addiction takes longer and is manifested through all those daft excuses for starting again tomorrow. Be stronmg. Choose any system you think might help, but in the end it is down to how determined you are to beat this vile and expensive habit that's killing you. Lots of luck!

On 3 Dec 2008 at 11:10am lauren wrote:
Thanks Sashimi :-)

On 3 Dec 2008 at 7:59pm expat wrote:
Just think of those cat bum hole mouths in the future girls, that should be enough to put you off!

On 3 Dec 2008 at 10:45pm lauren wrote:
That is so true Expat, i'll be now looking for them LOL

On 4 Dec 2008 at 5:32pm pikelet wrote:
Well done for giving up, lauren and I'm sure you'll feel better as soon as the nicotine gets out of your system.
Although of "feeling better", I think it can be a somewhat over-egged benefit of giving up smoking. Sure, if you have galloping emphysema things can only get better without a fag. But the only real difference I've noticed is that my legs give way more quickly than my lungs.
Smoking is a grubby, unhealthy and expensive habit - which are good enough reasons to pack it in. Expecting a massive turnaround on the feeling better front depends on rather more than smoking. IMHO.

On 4 Dec 2008 at 10:16pm Lauren wrote:
I must admit my biggest worry is that i put on weight. Im fortunate enough to have never been over weight except for when i had my children, and now giving up smoking the weight thing is starting to worry me as everyone i've spoken to that has given up says they gained between 1 and 2 stone easy.

On 5 Dec 2008 at 1:54pm zola wrote:
So Lauren,How's it going??

On 5 Dec 2008 at 5:07pm Lauren wrote:
Hi, its going well, just over a week but eating alot of sweets. Need to get down the gym to burn of these extra calories. Im not going to lie, i have had a couple of cigs over the week but that seems to be working for me, rather than going cold turkey. I seem to want one around 9pm so if im only having one a day and eventually that will just stop i'll be happy. My chest is really suffering due to asthma and giving up, bloody chest infection but it will be worth it. How are you doing? x

On 5 Dec 2008 at 8:59pm zola wrote:
I ain't doing very well.My baccy packet which I bought tonight had a picture of sperm on it,saying sperm count is reduced due to smoking...Give me a picture of a diseased lung,that will (maybe) do more good.
Good for you.I admire anyone who can give up the evil weed.but it is such a part of my life.We must stay in touch.I need the gym too...Which one do you use? X

On 6 Dec 2008 at 8:33am Free wrote:
A good forum to join is www.no-smoking-forum.com
A good bunch of people all in the same boat. Helped me big time. I'm 2 years a non smoker now, thanks to that site

On 6 Dec 2008 at 12:30pm zola wrote:
Thanks for that Free....Just joined. I am determined to give up.I have to.
The forum looks great.
And did you put my favourite pic up Webby? Thanks to you too.

On 12 Jan 2009 at 10:49pm Fredrik wrote:
Lauren wrote "Why is it when you give up smoking you feel so ill. It's only been a week and i've got a stinking cold and ache all over!". The chances your cold is seasonal. But the reason you feel bad when try to give up smoking is because your body is trying to tell you not to stop smoking. It's not like giving up heroin it's more like cutting down on food! You body gets rasied energy levels from smoking tobacco, if you quit your body is deprived of this energy and so it can leave you feeling tired at times and wanting to eat more.

On 14 Feb 2009 at 11:16pm grant wrote:
hi all given up today been just less then 24 hours now started at one am finding it so hard lol anyone got any tips

9 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau Sepp Blatter 26:132
Cliffe Tableau Sepp Blatter

The elected government is taking the correct attitude towards the BBC: by-pass it. By communicating directly through social media... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams