Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Geography of Bonfire Societies

3
7
On 9 Nov 2017 at 9:27am Paolo wrote:
Very unsure of myself here and don't want to provoke controversy but does the following roughly apply, without being set in stone?
BOROUGH=Nevill (NW Wallands?)
COMMERCIAL SQUARE=Landport and Pells, SE Wallands
WATERLOO=Malling and Waterloo Place
SOUTH ST=South St and East of River
SOUTHOVER=Southover i.e. South of High St
CLIFFE=East of River, Cuilfail (thinking of memorial to 17 martyrs)
This is a genuine question not intended to stir up any intersocietal tension!
10
8
On 9 Nov 2017 at 9:37am Paolo wrote:
And what about Winterbourne and Cranedown and Houndean?
7
11
On 9 Nov 2017 at 9:39am Nobby wrote:
Pretty much, although Malling is a mixture of all societies.
7
6
On 9 Nov 2017 at 1:10pm Oberon wrote:
That used to be the case once upon a time but members tend to come from all over these days. There are aq lot of Cliffe members in Landport and Malling, lots of Southover up in Wallands and most of the remaining Borough membership live outside of Lewes altogether now, mainly in Ringmer.
6
5
On 9 Nov 2017 at 2:10pm Curious wrote:
What schools do most of the society members go to?
4
 
On 9 Nov 2017 at 2:24pm Great Tit wrote:
By my reckoning...
Commercial sq = pells/northern Castle area
Waterloo = NE town centre (school hill, north St, East St, Market St etc)
Southover = southover high street, priory Street and connecting streets
South Street = south Street and small ones leading off it
Cliffe = rest of cliffe as well as old malling
Borough = anything West of where Keere st joins high street
20th century suburbs were built after Bonfire organised into societies so hard to argue they belong to certain ones, but they seem to get put with ones they're most adjacent to (eg landport w/ commercial)
7
4
On 9 Nov 2017 at 2:52pm The people wrote:
Donít forget that Cliffe had their Bonfire at Malling for many years.
3
8
On 9 Nov 2017 at 5:34pm When was... wrote:
...the last time Cliffe had a firesite in Cliffe?
9
10
On 9 Nov 2017 at 6:14pm Boris wrote:
Surely Southover come from London.
1
3
On 9 Nov 2017 at 7:01pm Buzzard wrote:
Nevill is Nevill.
2
4
On 9 Nov 2017 at 7:47pm Old Malling wrote:
Cliffe had a strong following in Malling because their fire site was here. Waterloo had their fire on the other side of the river before they moved to the Cliffe side. Iím not sure whether any other societies have changed fire sites in recent years. Did South Street used to be somewhere else?
 
4
On 10 Nov 2017 at 6:44pm And thats a fact wrote:
The Bonfire Societies of Lewes 1800-1913 a study in nominal record linkage by Jim Etherington it will answer all your questions its full of facts and thats a fact, it is also as boring as hell and completely irrelevant to today's societies memberships & geographical residency and that another fact
3
1
On 11 Nov 2017 at 10:10pm DrunkenBishop wrote:
Boris, how dare you say we come from London... It's Islington actually
3
3
On 11 Nov 2017 at 10:16pm DrunkenBishop wrote:
...and while I'm at it.. so called 'Boris'...
We don't "Come from London" damn fool... We are ..each and every one of us "Down From London"... Get it right man!


23 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Closet and Botts window 28:132
Closet and Botts window

You've read the puff pieces to attract the investors. Now read the spec.for the vaccine if you're interested, it's your life. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington