Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Garden scent

On 25 Jul 2016 at 7:58pm Townie wrote:
Stick my head out in the garden awaiting the glorious smell of honeysuckle, night scented stock and tobacco plants and I get the delightful smell of raw sewage that the farmer is obviously spreading on his field.
Now i'm a big fan of "live and let live" but this is repulsive,
On 25 Jul 2016 at 8:03pm Old Malling wrote:
Glad you noticed it too. I though I'd trodden in something....
On 25 Jul 2016 at 8:09pm Farmer Giles wrote:
What do you mean? "Raw Sewage"?
On 25 Jul 2016 at 8:14pm Townie wrote:
Untreated human s**t Farmer Giles. Not rocket science is it.
On 25 Jul 2016 at 8:47pm big jobs wrote:
you need to live in my after my old woman had a clear out.
On 25 Jul 2016 at 9:12pm Jennifer wrote:
Isn't there a law about creating a nuisance? Surely there are lots of other fields that could be used, not near our house or yours for that matter?
On 25 Jul 2016 at 9:25pm Will's Whiff wrote:
It's a bit ripe over Nevill too. Now the wind has dropped, it's hanging around like a, um, bad smell. It wasn't too bad earlier but now it's getting right up my nose.
On 25 Jul 2016 at 9:43pm Fred2016 wrote:
You lot need to remember that Lewes is surrounded by the Countryside. If you do not like it here just go away, soon i hope.........
On 26 Jul 2016 at 1:39am Jennifer wrote:
No need to insult me 'Fred'. My family and I probably spend a lot more money in and around this town than you do, and money is what you have to throw at a problem to change it into something acceptable.
On 26 Jul 2016 at 7:24am Harry wrote:
I used to live on the coast and frequently used to hear people complaining about seagull noise. There's a simple solution to this. Don't live on the coast.
In the countryside the same general principle applies.
And as for Jennifer's query about a nuisance law, I look forward to hearing her case that growing crops should be classed as a nuisance.
On 26 Jul 2016 at 7:24am Fred2016 wrote:
Jennifer.....it's not about money, you have proved you don't understand the real issue here........
On 26 Jul 2016 at 7:39am fifi wrote:
The farmers are muck spreading and its an annual occurrence . Usually its the livestock bedding taken out of barns and muck heaps and used as a fertiliser on the fields . Think the smell has gone today .
On 26 Jul 2016 at 7:46am + wrote:
In Lewes we are not that near the sea, yet we still have seagulls nesting on our roofs and squawking from 5.00 am onwards. Let's have a cull.
On 26 Jul 2016 at 7:48am and the relevance is? wrote:
Who cares that you think you spend more more money than others. Does that make you a better person, very clearly not.
On 26 Jul 2016 at 8:23am Earl of Lewes wrote:
@Fred2016 - Jennifer is just winding you up. She/he has been on here before and is one of the more convincing trolls.
On 26 Jul 2016 at 1:23pm Dung v Shyte wrote:
Dung is a not unpleasant smell. Human waste from the sewage farm settlement tanks is NOT. AFAIK sewage can be "drilled" underground - like a underground plough. But our farmers can spread it and it saves them money. It's all on the www if you fancy a look. Kind regurds.
On 26 Jul 2016 at 4:29pm @Dung v Shyte wrote:
So Dung is "not" and Human waste is "NOT".
Surely they're the same (I mean the SAME) thing?
On 26 Jul 2016 at 4:52pm not unpleasant wrote:
or pleasant ( in a country way) but H.w is NOT pleasant in any way. One comes from ruminating grass eaters, the other from meat/ curry/ fast food/ fat eaters. So as far as feces go they are not unlike each other. But for example a not unblack dog's poo will smell worse than a black and white cow's because the dog is a meat eater. It is not unlikely to find dog's poo in a field but in lesser quantities than cows'.
On 26 Jul 2016 at 5:35pm Southover wrote:
Sewage sludge has to be treated before being applied to farmland nowadays (under the 'safe sludge matrix' and the Sludge in Use in Agriculture Regulations 1989). The smell you describe is likely to be cattle slurry.
On 26 Jul 2016 at 5:42pm Fred2016 wrote:
I think we've cleaned up on this one. Let's move on.......
On 26 Jul 2016 at 5:59pm Sherlock No Sh*t wrote:
How can you describe a smell on a forum ? Have we got a smello app Webbo. I'll bet it's human and not cattle slurry.
On 26 Jul 2016 at 6:14pm Farmer Giles wrote:
So ... fifi and Southover are right. It's not human waste.

On 26 Jul 2016 at 7:41pm Nobby Stiles wrote:
But it might be.
On 26 Jul 2016 at 9:37pm Southover wrote:
Raw (untreated) cattle and human sludges smell similar - H2S and mercaptans - most unpleasant. The local sewerage undertaker treats sewage sludge by mesophillic anaerobic digestion followed by water extraction by centrifuge resulting in a soil like material with a tar like smell - quite different.
On 26 Jul 2016 at 11:18pm Local wrote:
Is Southover the returning Southover Queen?? Starting to give off that familiar smell, me thinks....

On 26 Jul 2016 at 11:21pm Local wrote:
Is Southover the returning Southover Queen? Starting to give off a familiar smell, me thinks.....

On 26 Jul 2016 at 11:33pm Ali wrote:
Didn't David and Ruth buy an anaerobic digester for Brookfield some years ago?
On 27 Jul 2016 at 6:47am Merde captain wrote:
There be a smell o' BS here.

On 27 Jul 2016 at 7:51am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think David & Ruth considered it, but didn't go ahead.
There is one in the area though - can't recall if it's on the estate land or at Home Farm.

On 27 Jul 2016 at 9:58pm Peter Perfect wrote:
I love the smell of cow dung in the morning

7 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

What happened to my post made last night? Is there a curfew from 11 pm? What are the rules with this forum? Just tell me and... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
There are no ordinary moments
Dan