Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Game Over

On 6 Nov 2008 at 3:11am Mr Bone wrote:
sssssssshhhhhhhh. !!!!!!!!!!!! No probs tonight? or did someone do something?

On 6 Nov 2008 at 8:32am SHS wrote:
New breakfast-time display happening right now - deafening! We need more of this!!

On 6 Nov 2008 at 8:53am Load of cobblers wrote:
Why have firework at 8:30 on a dreary 6TH OF NOVEMBER....that's just plain stupidity.....
Less cars parked outside my house last night, glad it rained.
Some twat left their cat outside as the Waterloo fireworks were going off.
BAN THEM! (Fireworks and cats)

On 6 Nov 2008 at 9:16am juju wrote:
Cobblers, the reason behind fireworks at this time in the morning is that the firesites have to be cleared of any unspent shells, this would be the safest way possible, while we are all safe in our homes eating breakfast the boys and girls of bonfire are cleaning up after a long night, just because the 5th is over does not mean the work is finished.

On 6 Nov 2008 at 10:06am Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Great evening.
I went to CSBS for final prayers to pay tribute to Paul Wheeler. It was lovely to see Paul's family and friends give him an appropriate final send-off.
Although I'm a Cliffe member, CSBS made me feel most welcome - thanks to all.

On 6 Nov 2008 at 11:00am Cliffebimbo wrote:
Weren't the police pleasant this year. Most of them seemed happy to be here and they did not intrude or take over, they just let us get on with things. I didn't hear the tannoy once which was great as I find it an embarrassment. Hope the same lot come again next year!

On 6 Nov 2008 at 11:45am Smiler wrote:
Yes the police did a great job and the restrictions on the bridge were a lot less severe than last year too.

On 6 Nov 2008 at 2:09pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
I'm convinced that part of (male) police training includes personal grooming and deportment. I think many of the police officers always look incredibly horny or am I just irretrievably sad?
Many of the officers on the streets were from Hampshire and they too provided "eye candy"!!!!!

On 6 Nov 2008 at 3:19pm Rookie wrote:
It was a good night at CSBS and I hardly noticed the rain. There was a lovely blond WPC in the high street but she was immune to even my wit and charm.

On 6 Nov 2008 at 3:29pm SHS wrote:
Some young blonde nurses are surely needed to loiter on the streets, in case anyone gets hurt (not off topic as it's all about bangs).

On 6 Nov 2008 at 3:43pm Frak wrote:
Spinster, not sure I noticed any 'horny' policemen, but then I wasn't looking at their truncheons.
On another note, amazed by how clean the streets were when i left for work at 7 this morning considering how filthy they were at midnight. Someone does a good job there.

On 6 Nov 2008 at 3:56pm Frak wrote:
On the police comment, was wondering why there were so many police type things featured on the various tableaux?

On 6 Nov 2008 at 3:59pm sylvia wrote:
The massive clean-up is done by LDC who work through the night and I believe don't charge the bonfire societies a penny !

On 6 Nov 2008 at 4:01pm Local wrote:
I'm never slow to slag off LDC, but the clean-up is always magnificent. But then that's because it's done by the workers, not the councillors.

On 6 Nov 2008 at 8:13pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
Because last year the police were overbearing, rude and out to make arrests.

On 6 Nov 2008 at 8:23pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
'personal grooming ' and a uniform fetish can only mean one thing Spinster. What they get up to in those vans is anyones guess. Therefore, Fag Hag of the Parish shall be your new name.

On 6 Nov 2008 at 9:36pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
That's not very nice Tooth Fairy.
I think that the police are nice - the ones I've met all entered into the force in order to help the public and to ensure that the UK is a nice/safe place to live.
But, as with other jobs involving working with feral Brits, people become isolated from the pleasant people in society and are left bewildered about this "green and pleasant land".

On 6 Nov 2008 at 9:47pm expat wrote:
I'll support everything you've said Spinster, I have personal experience!

On 6 Nov 2008 at 9:48pm Bod wrote:
Poor Police.... Just doing their jobs.
Shame that they can't be respected more for doing it. Do you have any idea how much tax payers money is wasted providing support for Lewes Bonfire Celebrations? Police men, women and vehicles probably make up 75% of it.
The bonfire societies should be ashamed of themselves. The police were not overbearing last year, they were fairly restrained in the face of a bunch of ignorant yobs trying to burn the town down!

On 6 Nov 2008 at 11:56pm DFL Detector wrote:
BOD alert.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 12:28am The Tooth Fairy wrote:
People join the force for three words only, 'Final Salary Pension'. And that is a pension to truly behold, paid for by......... oh yes, us.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 12:31am Lopster wrote:
well bod the taxpayers money paying to police Lewes is a fraction of what it must cost to police football matches...
and the vast majrity DO respect the Police
never seen ignorant yobs trying to burn Lewes down
not all police overbearing - saw a dozen this year quelling a few rookie droppers in the market street area though

On 7 Nov 2008 at 12:35am Lopster wrote:
"latest post" flag sent me up the thread - just in case though...

well bod the taxpayers money paying to police Lewes is a fraction of what it must cost to police football matches...
and the vast majrity DO respect the Police
never seen ignorant yobs trying to burn Lewes down
not all police overbearing - saw a dozen this year quelling a few rookie droppers in the market street area though

On 7 Nov 2008 at 12:49am geoff wrote:
The police were much better behaved this year, So well done them. I fail to see why anyone in a bonfire society should be blamed for Yobs. The main irritation to me, were vistors who stood right in front of me, ignoring the parade and trying to talk on a mobile. And people with umbrellas, who were directing more rain on everyone else around them, whilst blocking the view, instead of just wearing a hat. Victor Meldrew is alive and well.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 8:51am Lord landport wrote:
Just wondering if anyone from the bonfire council might read on here?
being Born and bred in Lewes I love Bonfire my only gripe is that I find it dangerous to take my little ones into the town on the 5th because of the Rookie throwing. (please wait before you burn me down) I love it and the bigger the bang the better but could we not have say from the Black horse to the bottle Neck a No Banger Zone. that way we could choose to be in the thick of it or enjoy the procession with our young ones in safety, saying that my dad's in his 80's still loves bonfire but we cant take him for same reason any thoughts.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 12:36pm Lopster wrote:
Have always taken my kids (including the unforgvable buggies a few years ago (but only when midweek and crowd numbers low(er))) - always been careful where I went with littl'uns though - to ensure an escape route (never needed it though I hasten to add) - but agree with you entirely M'Lud

On 7 Nov 2008 at 12:50pm FA wrote:
Cue all the cliffe people saying "it's our night, we can do what we f***ing well like. If you don't like it, dont bring the kids in"
That's the response we got when my nephew had a rookie thrown into his pushchair causing serious burns.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 1:36pm lord landport wrote:
Have to say FA I do expect that response from many people regarding Bonfire. It was only a suggestion and if the Bonfire council dont look at it thats there call. let the cliffe do as they wish they don't take part in the united Procession anyhow.
if people are that blinkered and say dont bring kids or the elderly why not add the racism card and not bring ...... well think you can see where this is going.
All I want is to bring my kids to bonfire be safe and enjoy it, letting them decide in years to come if they want to be Lewes Bonfire boys and which society is the best.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 1:50pm (ex) bonfire council bod wrote:
I am sorry to hear what happened to your nephew F.A, but when I was on the bonfire council it was made clear to all the societies that if fire works were going to be discharged then it must be with in the ranks. Bonfire night in Lewes is not designed for children, but if they do come then safety is every ones first objective. Young people and children are the life blood of the all bonfires societies and need to be looked after. As for the no banger zone, after the Cliffe incident you may get your wish not just the bottle neck but the whole of Lewes.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 1:53pm (ex) bonfire council bod wrote:
I am sorry to hear what happened to your nephew F.A, but when I was on the bonfire council it was made clear to all the societies that if fire works were going to be discharged then it must be with in the ranks. Bonfire night in Lewes is not designed for children, but if they do come then safety is every ones first objective. Young people and children are the life blood of the all bonfires societies and need to be looked after. As for the no banger zone, after the Cliffe incident you may get your wish not just the bottle neck but the whole of Lewes.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 3:14pm Enoch wrote:
Lord Landport, this is a reasonable idea but having tried to marshall smugglers it is very hard to get them to listen to reason and I don't think any society could guarantee that all their members would abide to the rules. Unfortunately every society has a small element of "oiks" who think that they have earned the right to do what they like because they turn up on the Fifth with their striped guernseys and have paid their membership - youv'e all seen they meandering around shouting Oggie Oggie drinking from cans and dropping bangers every two seconds - they are a pain in the ar$e and we don't want them.
I find the safest place for kids is in the processions but nowhere near the smugglers.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 3:20pm Bleeding Heart wrote:
I just don't understand how in years past, when the processions contained much more firework noise, that young children could safely watch the celebrations, but now, with increased safety etc, it is way too dangerous.
Oh, hang on, it's because we now live in a litigious society where parents are terrified of having their children experience anything that is even remotely dangerous so are content to wrap their offspring in cotton wool, thus creating a risk averse generation.
I do think buggies are a bad idea on the night, they amplify noise and also get in the way, especially in crowded areas, but there are plenty of places for young children to watch in safety where they will not be 'subjected' to too much noise.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 3:23pm CROSS wrote:
Well said Enoch a true cliffe member OR is it poterloo.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 3:26pm Enoch wrote:
Neither actually and I am not with your Society either.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 3:43pm CROSS wrote:
What ! your are not a member of the Tongue in Cheek Society?

On 8 Nov 2008 at 8:41am lord landport wrote:
thanks for some of the comments. from what enoch and ex bonfire council said I think before long it will be as said a no fireworks in the street rule
this will be a shame i do enjoy the bangers its part of bonfire. Nevill manage it very well I miss the rookies but I get to take my kids and parents in safety a fair compromise I feel.
If the societies want to get rid of the oiks as mentioned it cant be that hard can it. if each society made a rule about firework throwing and kicked anyone who broke that rule out and then circulated names etc to other societies within a few years these oiks wouldnt be able to take part.
lets face it it will be these people who make the powers that be ban all fireworks in the street including the poppies etc by the war memorial.
so why dont they act now before its too late?

before anyone shoots me down read myt first pirst about a no banger zone
say from the pelham to bottleneck. I dont want to stop banger throwing if done safely.

On 8 Nov 2008 at 2:59pm mr happy wrote:
I was watching the Cliffe from near Woolworths all evening. I must admit when I saw pushchairs I was a bit worried but in the first 2 processions there were very few bangs. During their grand there were hundreds so I think the best bet with small children is to stick to the early processions. Cant speak for the other societys but my children have always been in Cliffe ( now 19 an 17) and have been very safe in the procession. As someone else said on these threads you have to avoid dressing in smugglers.

On 8 Nov 2008 at 6:56pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I am very uncomfortable about pushchairs at bonfire events, especuially in processions, as I have seen at some of the smaller bonfire societies.
There's a good metre or so of road under a pushchair that you can't see, and if a rookie or a torch head rolled underneath, there'd be nothing you could do about until it was too late.

On 8 Nov 2008 at 8:57pm Jumpin Jack wrote:
And,
1. A pushchair is highly flammable
2. Children are usually strapped into them (hampering any emergency exit)
3. Rookies etc go off at ground level so the noise and pressure would be intensified to someone/a child at ground level.
If a child cannot walk unaided in an adult procession, I do not think they should be in one. There are plenty of childrens processions.

On 10 Nov 2008 at 11:52am Ed Can Do wrote:
As someone who drops quite a lot of rookies in the processions (Although not a smuggler), I personally always look around to make sure there are no kids nearby when I drop one and make sure the rest of our lot do too. The level of rookie dropping does tend to escalate throughout the night and hardly any are let off early on so I agree that if you have young kids it's advisable to just watch the earlier processions rather than the more boisterous later ones.
There's no way there'll ever be a no bangers in the street rule, it would just get ignored and the police would be faced with trying to arrest several thousand people in one night. Why do you think they backed down on a ban last year? Because it was logistically unworkable.
A no-banger zone is a nice idea perhaps but again, pretty unworkable. If nothing else it will be seen as an attempt to make the evening more "Accessible" which isn't really what the majority of bonfire boys want.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Did the culture of self-aggrandising 'grief' begin with Lady Di's death or has it always been around. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell