Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Fruit and veg shops

On 18 Sep 2012 at 2:16pm Scurvy girl wrote:
Can anyone give me some ideas about where to go for affordable, local fruit and veg in or near Lewes? I find supermarket produce really tasteless, which is unsurprising considering how far it's already travelled before it goes home with me, but I can't get along with the local veg box schemes - I want to buy what I want when I want it, not eat what they've decided to supply me with on a day of their choosing. Seems like there's a real lack of proper fruit and veg shops in Lewes (I don't count Bill's on account of the prices and the dwindling amount of anything usefully edible in there). I do use the farmers' market and the Friday market, but obviously they're not there all the time, and actually the Friday market in particular isn't really a reliable source for most things. Can anyone recommend somewhere or do I just have to grow my own? I'm happy to go a bit further afield, but can't afford to pay silly money when I get there. Ta.

On 18 Sep 2012 at 2:23pm TDA wrote:
It would be great to have a normal F&V shop around. Think the nearest may be in Brighton...
On 18 Sep 2012 at 2:42pm Fruity wrote:
There is one on Western Road, next to the butchers and the pottery shop.
Just down from the black horse.
Not sure on how good it is!
On 18 Sep 2012 at 3:26pm Southover Queen wrote:
There's Middle Farm which has a lot of fresh produce, at least some of which is locally produced. There's also the farm shop at Spring Barn on the C7, although I haven't been there for several months so I don't know how that's developed. There's a new farm shop out near Offham, isn't there? Anyone know whether they sell fruit and veg?
On 18 Sep 2012 at 4:18pm Deelite wrote:
The Offham shop does some veg but not a great deal. Their meat and pies are great though.

On 18 Sep 2012 at 4:29pm Southover Queen wrote:
Thanks Deelite. I shall investigate.
On 18 Sep 2012 at 5:28pm jrsussex wrote:
Scurvy Girl - You set us posters a very difficult task for assistance. Supermarkets are out, veg boxes are also out as is Bill's, farmers and Friday markets are out (Friday not being reliable) and of course Lewes does not have an established F & V retail outlet. Prepared to go further afield but not to pay silly money. Would love to help but I feel you have cloaed most, if not all, the doors.
On 18 Sep 2012 at 5:29pm Townie wrote:
I find it absolutely absurd that this town has 18 + hairdressers yet only one fruit and veg shop

On 18 Sep 2012 at 5:35pm bongo wrote:
I use Claremont Fruiterers in Seaford. Quite cheap, and has lovely apples and plums in stock. Spuds are less than half of supermarket prices.
My job takes me that way two or three times a day, so it's easy for me to stop & shop at Claremont. We really do need at least a couple more fruit & veg shops in Lewes town centre.
On 18 Sep 2012 at 5:36pm bongo wrote:
I use Claremont Fruiterers in Seaford. Quite cheap, and has lovely apples and plums in stock. Spuds are less than half of supermarket prices.
My job takes me that way two or three times a day, so it's easy for me to stop & shop at Claremont. We really do need at least a couple more fruit & veg shops in Lewes town centre.
On 18 Sep 2012 at 5:39pm bongo wrote:
LOL!! I've gone a duplicated myself! Hey, Mr Webbo - can you sort me out please?
:-)
On 18 Sep 2012 at 5:55pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Claremont Fruiterers deserves a double mention though, Bongo! Excellent quality, although the choice is a tad limited. And it's easy to park outside.
The farm shop at Falmer isn't bad and wasn't crazy prices last time I stopped there.
I agree with you about the meat and pies at the Offham farm shop, Deelite -the pies especially are fab.

On 18 Sep 2012 at 6:52pm Yaffle wrote:
I am still absolutely flabbergasted that the centre of Lewes has neither a decent fruit and veg shop nor a good bakers. I've been to fall smaller and less 'foodie' towns which have both.

On 18 Sep 2012 at 7:00pm Southover Queen wrote:
High rents, sky high business council tax and several supermarkets in the immediate vicinity is a toxic combination, I suspect, Yaffle. Never forget that Bill's was a great greengrocer before the flood, but I imagine that if he hadn't found a great way of adding value he'd have closed his doors too.

(I make my own bread now...!)

On 18 Sep 2012 at 7:27pm Harold wrote:
The reason Bills was a good veg shop is because its the family trade, ie swanbough nurseries on kingston road and in fisher street as well as his own shop,
The shop in western road is very good with 20 mins free parking right outside, also the best butchers in town , highly praised by Wittingstll fella, what more do you want.
On 18 Sep 2012 at 9:16pm Rookie wrote:
I can vouch for Mrs Terry in Western Road

On 18 Sep 2012 at 9:21pm petitepois wrote:
Isfield has a new farm shop...not been there but might be worth investigating. Also Holmans Bridge Farm shop is delicious!! Def worth trying.
PS. There is a decent bakers in Ringmer...only up the hill! They are even starting to smile now
On 18 Sep 2012 at 9:43pm Scurvy girl wrote:
Cheers everyone - well, nearly everyone - for your suggestions, which have given me some starting points. Hadn't heard of Claremont Fruiterers, so I'll check that out next time I'm in that area. I've always been put off the St Anne's shops by the lack of parking, but maybe should take another look. (And before someone gets on my case about needing to drive, I'm shopping for a large family and can't carry my own bodyweight in food from there to my home without transport, nor have the time to shop in small quantities every day - sorry!) I'll check out some of the farm shops people have mentioned too, which may mean I can buy local F&V/meat/dairy produce all under one roof, which would be time-saving and greener. It's a shame Lewes seems to have lost so many independent food shops - an opportunity for someone, maybe. Anyway, thanks a lot, much obliged.

On 19 Sep 2012 at 7:02am Annabel wrote:
I know it's not always possible for everyone to manage a Friday morning, but the Friday Food Market in Market Tower has 5 local farmers supplying fruit & veg. So there is always a good selection and the prices are competitive, although obviously not with supermarkets!

On 19 Sep 2012 at 9:04am Fulovaknee wrote:
I love the veg at Tesco. £1 a bag. stab it, stick it in the microwave and 4 mins later you have a plate full of fresh, hot and tasty veg. What more do you want???

On 19 Sep 2012 at 9:57am TDA wrote:
Sadly it seems unless a new Lewes baker or F&V shop position themselves in the "organically-made artisan-craftsman low-food-miles locally-produced free-range" part of the market (ie. the rip-off customers end), they won't be able to pay the rent.
So in the meantime we've got Waitrose, Tescos or Aldi, farm shops which are miles away down a dual carriageway, or over-priced farmers' markets visiting once a week/month.
Pitiful. I just want to buy an apple. And not from Bills!

On 20 Sep 2012 at 4:47am Yaffle wrote:
SQ - I was in Ludlow a few weeks ago, a town not dissimilar from Lewes, with several supermarkets. Yet it has two fruit and veg shops bang in the centre of town. While I'm sure your points are correct, they don't explain why many other similar places to Lewes can sustain such shops.

Check it out here »

On 21 Sep 2012 at 2:33pm Cllr Edmunds wrote:
Lower business rates, probably, Yaffle.

On 12 Oct 2014 at 7:51pm Pennpincha wrote:
Feeling the need to correct some factual errors above. Several of the suppliers at the Friday market are in fact CHEAPER than local supermarkets. Chicken, sausages, mince, and much of the veg is equal or cheaper than what you'd find at Tescos. I wrote down all the unit prices from my tesco shopping bill and did comparisons and was extremely surprised!

13 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Through the Barbican 125:132
Through the Barbican

Talk about misappropriation! The Rockefeller report that TP referenced is available for all to read. It envisages future... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy