Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Forfars closed

On 2 Jan 2016 at 6:58pm David wrote:
I know the parent company was in trouble but as they do such a good trade I hoped the Cliffe branch would keep going. Now I see it closed, to be replaced by what will doubtless be yet another artisan bread outlet selling hand thrown sourdough whole meal and seed buns with goats cheese, rocket and onion marmalade for 8 a pop. So where are me and my kids going to get a steak slice, cheese straws or a cheese and onion pastry for Saturday lunch? Or a cream bun or bakewell tart to eat on the bridge? Where is the bird man going to get his brace of sausage rolls for that matter? We need a Greggs urgently, not another overpriced, over fancy bread maker.
On 2 Jan 2016 at 7:07pm supporter wrote:
about time products were rubbish.
On 2 Jan 2016 at 7:14pm bastian wrote:
rubbish, their greasy pies were top quality and I hope the new healthy option goes under to. Where can you get a breakfast pasty incluiding beans and sausage? Forfars sold what we wanted.
On 2 Jan 2016 at 7:56pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
If it sold what we wanted, Bastian, it would still be here.
On 2 Jan 2016 at 8:11pm Old Malling wrote:
I don't think that Forfars owned the Lewes branch (franchise). Not sure if the existing people are keeping it on and just giving it a refit / rebranding or whether somebody new is taking over. There's a chance that it might not change a great deal.
On 2 Jan 2016 at 9:34pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
Sorry that people might have lost their jobs, but I won't miss the smell of greasy, burnt cheese coming from their extractor fan.
On 2 Jan 2016 at 10:26pm sticky bun wrote:
Enjoyed their sticky buns. Bread a bit crap - can find the same at Tesco
On 2 Jan 2016 at 11:46pm Jennifer wrote:
All of the shops between Boots and the Cliffe bridge, I can do without. Even Holland & Barrett are duplicated more intelligently in Cliffe High Street, and Waterstone's isn't a real bookseller. We have passed our first anniversary here and are proud to be in a premium town that has relinquished a relic of mediocrity. What's wrong with an artisan brasserie or a really lovely gift shop, not selling factory made products?
On 3 Jan 2016 at 12:03am Earl of Lewes wrote:
@Jennifer - Not all of us can afford artisan bread or handmade gifts, lovely as they may be. This 'premium town' used to be a working town with a social mix. Now it's turning into what sometimes feels like a gated community for the well off. Forfars catered for a market that is increasingly unrepresented in Lewes. Where can I now buy a bread roll for 40p?
On 3 Jan 2016 at 12:34am Mary wrote:
Like many things in Lewes, it would be good to have a middle way, something between over-priced artisan products which sometimes aren't brilliant and cheap but not always that good products. Does this high-end and low-end system, DFLs with more money who can take ownership of the town centre versus Locals who want things to not change too much really reflect people who live in Lewes? Brighton seems a bit more down to earth sometimes.
On 3 Jan 2016 at 5:12am Norker wrote:
@Jennifer. What on earth is an "artisan brassiere" made from coloured string perhaps?
On 3 Jan 2016 at 8:24am The Twister wrote:
If you like cheap , nasty tasteless bread you can still buy it in Tescos or Aldis, so what are you moaning about.
On 3 Jan 2016 at 10:03am Mavis wrote:
5.00 a loaf ! That goes rock hard after one day, I don't think so !! If anyone is that bothered, buy a bread maker !!
On 3 Jan 2016 at 10:03am Mavis wrote:
5.00 a loaf ! That goes rock hard after one day, I don't think so !! If anyone is that bothered, buy a bread maker !!
On 3 Jan 2016 at 10:37am Gullible Travellers wrote:
Lewes has been sinking for a while now. But it will rise up very soon as the new 'Little London'.
On 3 Jan 2016 at 11:15am TDA wrote:
Forfar did a cracking sourdough loaf for 2, which is half the price of other places in town.
If you like reasonably priced, tasty bread at least we can still go to Lewes Breadmakers in the Phoen.... oh.
On 3 Jan 2016 at 1:05pm Mrs Grumpy wrote:
I have tried some of this overpriced "artisan bread" in local shops. Crusts limp but impossibly chewy and inside nothing but air. What is so good about it?
On 3 Jan 2016 at 2:34pm Full of air wrote:
Mrs G.
Same as a Dfl
On 3 Jan 2016 at 4:22pm nibbleratlarge wrote:
Sign in the window. It's going to be called Bake Out. Opens on 12th Jan. Local-ish company that bought Forfars, re-opening most of the six under this name (I THINK). I don't know what sort of bakery the new one will be. I got this from asking counter staff - some of whom have been kept on from Forfars days.
On 3 Jan 2016 at 5:18pm Lopster wrote:
Still trying to comment on the insult "relinquished a relic of mediocrity"
Or is it a term of endearment?
Be interested to see the demographic make up of those living within, say a mile-and-a-half of the railway station.
More in need of social housing and welfare support than a stable for their race-horses I would imagine.
On 3 Jan 2016 at 7:48pm Maker wrote:
I assumed Jennifer was trolling as a dfl but maybe she is real. I don't eat bread anymore so I can't really get too excited about it but I have some sympathy for people who don't like change. Everything is getting rather posh.
On 3 Jan 2016 at 11:23pm Penelope wrote:
I spoke to one of the staff who was kept on from Forfars days. It will be called Bake Out and they will still sell a small selection of the old pasties alongside mainly new ranges of cakes and sandwiches. Seems like a much needed update as it was quite run down in the shop
On 4 Jan 2016 at 12:25am IMEYOU wrote:
As long as it does not turn into a Subway I will be Happy.
On 4 Jan 2016 at 10:41am London calling wrote:
I moved from London to Lewes a couple of years ago and I can't see how Lewes is posh? More like a country village, cozy, but nothing like London posh. Two very different places and that's great! When you move out of London you dont expext or want the same!

On 7 Jan 2016 at 2:11pm Zebedee wrote:
Hmm.. must go and have a look at it. Forfars was two companies trading under the same brand name. The one still trading is run by some of the original Forfar family (and other investors). I guess the Lewes shop must have been run by the other company. Personally I never liked much of the fare (although the bread was OK). The Newick and Ringmer bakeries are both much better and make trusty delicious pies and pasties. A shame that one of them didn't take over the Lewes shop.

On 11 Jul 2016 at 3:47pm tom wrote:
Lewes will never be 'little London', Brighton is called 'London by the Sea' - but not just because it has fancy bakeries, there's also a lot to do there too whereas Lewes is a (quite posh) quaint Sussex town. House prices and general cost of living in the area mean that inevitably shops like Forfars will be superseded by something more appealing to the locals. Seeing as the locals like their hessian bags and knitted sweaters then 'Bake Out' will survive. If you want a luke warm sausage roll with 5% actual meat content then I'm sure there's a Forfars or Greggs in a more chavvy part of Sussex.

On 25 Oct 2016 at 3:20pm VisitingWorker wrote:
As a visitor occasionally working in Lewes, there is nowhere to get a simple pastie or sausage roll. Costa offer their usual marmite stuff and a cafe up the end is ok but nothing special.
If the place was better supported with more sales then it would still be there so what else is there?
You can tell the tale of a town by the number of empty units or more appropriately in Lewes's case - the number of damn antiques shops!

10 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Barbican Lewes 7:132
Barbican Lewes

Which nonce art thou pausing for Nuncle? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone