Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Food waste

On 9 Nov 2015 at 2:05pm nevillman wrote:
A couple of months ago I wrote to the council about the binmen putting the food waste from the grey bin into the back of the bin lorry with all the general waste. Someone eventually contacted me and left a message saying that it was not put into the food waste compartment because it was loose rather than in one of the compostable bags. I had put a sheet of newspaper in the bottom of the bin. When this scheme was launched I am sure we were told that this was acceptable and I can't see any reason why I should have to go to the expense and trouble of buying and using compostable bags. I am still waiting for a response from the council. Anyone else had similar?
On 9 Nov 2015 at 6:43pm Tango wrote:
Er.. No I invest in the correct bags because they are cheap and I think recycling is important. So no problem. If you don't want to buy the bags just sling your waste in with everything else and hope for the best. Job done. You can then sell your unused bin on eBay as a handy household storage item.
On 9 Nov 2015 at 6:54pm and Cash wrote:
How are they going to recycle loose food slurry from the bin lorry. It's obvious what the compostable bags are for.
On 9 Nov 2015 at 9:55pm Rosiecheeks wrote:
I feed my chickens and geese with food leftovers and the stuff they don't like goes on the compost, job done!!!

On 9 Nov 2015 at 10:09pm GreenMan wrote:
Yes, in my street I have watched the binmen put the compost grey bin stuff straight into the back of the bin lorry - no sorting, AND they DID have compostable bags. so what the hell is the point of everyone sorting out their waste if this is what is going on? Is it because as I have been told that the waste incinerator needs more waste to burn and if our council doesn't provide it they get charged!?

On 10 Nov 2015 at 6:45pm Mr Farage wrote:
Isn't it an EU Directive, and you will comply. It's only money !!

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Bottleneck House 13:132
Bottleneck House

I would hazard a guess that:
a) very few people even notice
b) half of the very few that do think it's the work of a few... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa