Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Food in Lewes

On 28 Jun 2010 at 11:31am Friendofyours wrote:
I havent spent much time in Lewes but all I seem to see is Bill's (which im sure used to be better) and Bill's copy cats which is day time trade and the pizza places at night. I love coming to Lewes but would like some help on where to eat. Where do you guys eat and what type or restaurant would you want to have in Lewes if you could choose.

On 28 Jun 2010 at 11:42am whoflungdung wrote:
What types of food dom you like to eat. There's plety of India and Chinese, a couple of Thai, some Italian/pizza places and a general splattering of good pub food.
If i could choose a restaurant, it would be a burger king just to shut the NIMBY snobs up in Lewes.
On 28 Jun 2010 at 12:36pm StevieD wrote:
Hahaha, yes! Why shouldn't families in Lewes be able to go for a cheap & cheerful burger, just because the vocal minority demand that all food in Lewes must include locally sourced organic yoghurt or whatever. When my kids were young it was a treat to occasionally take them to BK or McD - so why not in Lewes???

On 28 Jun 2010 at 12:38pm Bills Visitor No More wrote:
Bills is RUBBISH. Have to admit, used to enjoy overpriced food in there but now the service is awful, food is late or doesn't arrive, staff don't give a sh*t about your business. We were regulars, not anymore. Made a complaint to the manager, when it was the young lad, got no response. Bill doesn't care anymore, he is too busy growing his empire. I shall spend my money on staying at home and cooking my own boiled eggs. Much more sensible.

On 28 Jun 2010 at 1:28pm MC wrote:
Lazzatis for me every time. Superb little restaurant. Always book upstairs or outside. Downstairs is only nice for larger parties.
www.lazzatis.co.uk
On 28 Jun 2010 at 5:02pm BOOM! wrote:
Now that would make my day, having a McDonalds in Lewes. Satisfy my near empty purse and my hungry tummy easily. I was hoping (rather naively) that what is now Baltica would turn into a McDonalds. oh well! Probably for the best ... my skinny jeans would be in the bin in no time.
I visit the Swan for pub grub sorts me out just fine!
On 28 Jun 2010 at 5:07pm Trevor wrote:
we need more choice,a proper Bistro would be good or a Mexican, Tapas, Moroccan, Fish etc...
we don't need another Italian, or Indian or fancy fruit and veg cafe.
On 28 Jun 2010 at 6:15pm Chuck wrote:
Love Prezzo, would like a KFC.
On 28 Jun 2010 at 8:07pm supporter wrote:
kfc would be wonderful.

On 28 Jun 2010 at 8:20pm Let's have..... wrote:
An Uncle Sams!!!!!! Local and very nice.

On 29 Jun 2010 at 12:20am Ed Can Do wrote:
Prezzo is always nice and Lazzattis is still ok, although I prefered it when it was smaller. The Beijing is a great Chinese and Shanaz a great Indian. Pub food at the Elly is always good and the Snowdrop is very nice indeed these days, it's probably there I eat out most often in Lewes now.

On 29 Jun 2010 at 6:55pm SG wrote:
The Snowdrop do really tasty food.
I used to love Doorsteps' for a good sandwich, so gutted they've closed.

On 29 Jun 2010 at 7:44pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think we need more choice and I'd like to see a good Tex-Mex and a decent Thai. The Pailin used to be wonderful but it changed hands a few years ago and went straight downhill.
Big fan of the Snowdrop though. The Swan is underrated for its food imo. Good pub grub and stacks of it.

On 29 Jun 2010 at 9:33pm Friendofyours wrote:
Thanks for all of you input, it seems like the majority want fast food outlets. Although i do love a good diner burger, ribs, chili etc. Sounds like bills is defiantly going downwards since the sell out..

On 29 Jun 2010 at 10:08pm A Bit Of Good News wrote:
The Chinese on Lansdown Place is currently being refitted and plans to open next month (as a Chinese).
But the Lewes Spice next door (that also closed down) is rumoured to become a wine bar.
On 30 Jun 2010 at 3:41am Jane wrote:
Avoid spice merchant if possible, not happy wiv ma last few visits at all

On 30 Jun 2010 at 12:14pm StevieD wrote:
Don't forget Chuala's (currently closed for refurbishment) - excellent and very different Indian food - probably my favourite food place in Lewes!
On 30 Jun 2010 at 12:17pm StevieD wrote:
...would still like to see a MacDonalds though, if only to wind up Transition Town Lewes and the rest of the Lewes chattering classes!
On 30 Jun 2010 at 3:03pm yumyum wrote:
No one has mentioned Pelham House hotel which does great 2 or 3 course lunches at reasonable prices (theresoften a voucher in viva lewes for a discuont as well). Pelham Arms does a great Sunday lunch. Lewes arms also good honest well priced food - and not typical pub grub, and the Kings Head is now serving gastro pub type meals (so I'm told).
Seasons - the veggie cafe on school hill is GREAT, even for a confirmed meat eater like myself.
Would like a French bistro/ wine bar type place - hope Lewes Spice tunrs into that. The Pailin Thai is poor value - very small portions and below average food.
On 30 Jun 2010 at 10:27pm Food is not just fuel. wrote:
Jees, I can't believe people on here are are saying they would love to have a McDonald's or a KFC in town. What a sad bunch. You need to learn about real food, not that sh!te.
Yum Yum's recommendations are good although I've not been impressed by Seasons (although it was a long time since I was last there). I've had much better vegetarian fayre.
Lazatti's (or Famiglia Lazatti's is it is now) is great, but my favourite waiter Lucas has now gone. Don't bother with the other Italian restaurants they're poor quality carbon copies of each other. ASK is particularly sh!te.
The Chinese that closed down next to the Landsdown appears to be re-opening as a burger place if the backlit menu stuck on the wall is anything to go by, but I think it is a Chinese person doing it up.
The King Head was taken over about 6 weeks ago and is (or was) being refurbished. We went in for a meal shortly after they took over. I thought it was overpriced for the portion size but I don't think they had got themselves properly organized at that point.
Its a shame we don't have anything to match Circa (or Circa Fish) when it was at its best (when Angela was Maitre d'). I had some truly fantastic meals there, but it lost its way a bit when it moved to Pelham House.
On 1 Jul 2010 at 8:53am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'm mystified by the desire for McD's etc as well. Why anyone would want one in town is beyond me. They're not even that cheap.
I really liked Circa when it was up the road and thought it was quite good value if you went early when the fixed menu was remarkably cheap.
I agree with you about all the Italian chains, only Lazatti's is really any cop imo.
I miss Giorgio's and Thackeray's that used to be down in the Cliffe.
On 1 Jul 2010 at 11:15am Uncle Sam wrote:
We can all say that food in McDonalds or Burger King is crap, but you have got to remember that there are many people living in Lewes that cannot afford to take their families to eat in places like Lazattis, Pelham House or any other 'proper' restaurant for that matter. Taking them to somewhere like McDonalds is second best, and the quality of the food might not be so good, but how many kids care about that, and at least it is relatively affordable (certainly much cheaper than Circa or Lazattis)
Furthermore, how many people would use a burger shop on their way home from the pub for example? Even those that would choose somewhere more up-market for a meal out. I Can't see anyone popping into Pelham House for a takeaway on the way home!
The detractors above must have used these establishments elsewhere to be able to say they are 'sh*t' or 'not even that cheap' (which is not even that true), so isn't it a bit hypocritical to say that other people should be denied the same - just because a few people are too snobby to want one defiling the streets of Lewes ?
On 1 Jul 2010 at 11:29am Down and Out wrote:
Bit self-righteous there, Uncle Sam. I don't see anyone objecting to Charcies, Effies, South Street or any of the other fast food joints. I've never had a better Doner than Charcies (in this country, at least) to be fair. I think a lot of people who would welcome an Uncle Sam's as they're a local (and quite decent) burger chain.
I think what most people who don't want McDs just want to avoid the 'Burgess Hill-isation' of Lewes, and I agree.

On 1 Jul 2010 at 12:23pm TAFKAPS wrote:
McD's would be good, especially as they now seem to be trying to be more ethical, with their sourcing of British Beef and their tasteful new restaurant scheme. Also the availability of salad and fruit and at a reasonable price. Just what Lewes needs for families on a budget in these expensive job cutting times.
On 1 Jul 2010 at 12:42pm StevieD wrote:
I'm with you there Uncle Sam. I don't much like McD etc, but why should it be a small elitist minority dictating what 'normal' Lewes folk can eat? "What a sad bunch. You need to learn about real food, not that sh!te" (says FINJF) just about sums up their attitude. Never heard of freedom of choice? "Circa when it was at its best when Angela was Maitre d'" my ar*e - this is the real world and most Lewes residents are ordinary people just wanting to get on with their lives without being patronised by a self-righteous elite telling us what and where we should eat.

On 1 Jul 2010 at 12:44pm Down and Out wrote:
Mrs D&O's cousin used to work in an abattoir up north. They sent the 'waste' to McD's factory after they'd processed all the decent meat and sent it to butchers. '100% Beef' means only that it was once some part of a cow. Call me fussy if you will, but it's not for me.
On 1 Jul 2010 at 12:57pm Uncle Sam wrote:
Not sure why you think I am being self rightious D&O, nor what point you are trying to make about Charcies, Effies etc..in relation to my post. Although I agree with what you say about the quality of these fast food outlets, including Uncle Sams, I can't see that any of these are places where you could go out and sit down to eat with your family.
The point I was trying to make was, it is generally the people with either no kids or grown up kids that can afford to go to 'proper restaurants' and criticise 'burger/fried chicken restaurants', as they assume that everyone in the town can afford to do the same. I bet there are a lot of people reading this who could not afford it, and I think a McD or a KFC or somethig similar down near Tesco somewhere would do a roaring trade.
On 1 Jul 2010 at 1:00pm Uncle Sam wrote:
Bit like the '100% lamb' doner kebabs in the Charcy eh D&O ! Ears, feet and testicular material all look the same when they are minced up and reconstituted.
On 1 Jul 2010 at 1:10pm Food is not fuel wrote:
Uncle Sam wot a load of rot!
Kids eat FREE at Lazattis Mon-Fri 5-6pm and Sat 3-6pm and Sun 12-6pm and you can get 2 pizzas for £9.95.
You say " the quality of the food might not be so good, but how many kids care about that" - obviously you don't give a rats ar$e what rubbish you put in to you kids mouths.
When we go to Lazatti's my 2-year old son's plate is always ends up empty because he scoffs the lot. We certainly get our money's worth.
On 1 Jul 2010 at 1:17pm Food is not just fuel wrote:
StevieD I don't give a toss if you want to eat sh!t sandwiches all day long, but perhaps once in a while you might want to go out an have a really good celebration meal. Circa was tip-top for this, so it is missed.
On 1 Jul 2010 at 1:20pm MaccyD wrote:
If you lot think that lazattis and all the other posh restaurants in this town serve up healthy, decent food, you really haven't got a clue. It's full of sugar, fats and salts and they use the cheapest cuts of meat (probably the stuff McD's reject)
The only difference is that they smother it in salt and fat busting sauces so you don't notice.
As for Down and out's cousin, are those rumours still doing the rounds after 30 years ?

On 1 Jul 2010 at 1:51pm StevieD wrote:
You're missing the point FINJF (deliberately I suspect) - the thread is about places to eat in Lewes, not just where to have a 'once in a while celebratory meal'. FYI I did take my wife to Circa's once some years ago for said celebratory meal (not sure if your mate the maitre d' was there then) - in our opinion the food was good but fussy, very overpriced and deliberately provocative; I seem to recall crocodile steak was involved? Still, it made a change from sh!t sandwiches, which is what you seem to think that people without your budget and exalted culinary standards like to eat. Just proves my earlier point ? there's a patronising minority in Lewes who like to think that they know what's best for the rest of us!

On 1 Jul 2010 at 2:21pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
You're right StevieD, it's called Transition Town Lewes.
On 1 Jul 2010 at 2:21pm MaccyD wrote:
The ironic thing is, if i go to McD's, which is about once or twice a year, i want sh1t, i want grease, i want fat driping off my chin and down my bestest primark t shirt, not poncy salads and healthy burgers.

On 1 Jul 2010 at 2:41pm BOOM! wrote:
... can we not have both a Mcdonalds, or similar, as well as Lazattis. Bit of variety never hurts
On 1 Jul 2010 at 2:52pm MaccyD wrote:
You would've thought so eh Boom. Trouble is, as mentioned above by SteveD, there's a few people in this town who think such establishments lower the tone of the place. be nice to have the choice though rather than being dictated to by the few NIMBY's who are so far up their own ar$es.
On 1 Jul 2010 at 3:12pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
In the Swan, the portions are massive and a main course is £6-8. they are more than happy to give you extra plates so you can share your meal with the kids. An adult meal is plenty for an adult of normal appetite and a child that hasn't got worms or Prader-Willi syndrome. I think 4 meals for 12 is bloody good value AND it's all good food, no nostril and eyeball burgers there.
The likes of KFC, McDs etc will just provide another source of litter and a place for louts to misbehave. We don't need it, and those who do can jump in their cars or on a bus or train and go to Newhaven, where their needs will be met in a charming retail development.
Why do we need a Macdonalds when we have the Charcoal Grill, which is so much better anyway?

On 1 Jul 2010 at 3:51pm FINJF wrote:
@StevieD
You've really got a chip on your shoulder.
The OP (Friendofyours) wasn't looking for fast food outlets. I recommended Lazatti's which isn't expensive at all. You should try it! That's the point!! But I was also saying that nothing in town matches Circa when it was at the top of its game. You seem to want to put a some kinds of hoity-toity spin on this. You're still fighting the class-war or something. Angela ("My mate" as you put it) was working in the Volunteer until recently.
If you want to be a lard-ass don't let me stop you. Go to Newhaven and knock yourself out. More fool you. But MaccyD's is not healthy food. We shouldn't be encouraging our kids to eat it. You need to take a trip to Italy and see how people eat there you might learn something.

On 1 Jul 2010 at 4:07pm MaccyD wrote:
ACT, whis is this "we" you talk about when you say "we don't need it" ???
You are everything that is wrong with this bloody town ACT,
As for McD's not being healthy, GOOD.
On 1 Jul 2010 at 4:11pm Down and Out wrote:
So anyone who expresses the opinion that they don't like a chain and would prefer not to see one in Lewes is an anti-choice up-their-own-arse fascist NIMBY. Right.
Interesting to note the desire of the true working class warrior to see Lewes with more anti-local profit-driven international corporations, isn't it? You can't beat more choice, can you? Let's start the campaign for a Yates's Wine Lodge, a Walkabout Inn and a Wetherspoons, because more choice is always better.

On 1 Jul 2010 at 4:12pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Well said Annette Curtain-Twitcher. For those who suggest we are(up our own a** **)for not wanting it in Lewes,I come from a long line of Lewesions. We stayed because we like it as it is. Others move here BECAUSE it is unique,unfettered by rubbish food outlets,being amongst many other good reasons for staying!

On 1 Jul 2010 at 4:27pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Not seen Prezzo mentioned. This is a great place to eat. Fo those who like burgers etc, they do a good quality version. From time to time there are 2 for 1 offers. Been here many times, never been disapointed. There are two terraces, great on these warm evenings. The crab cakes are great. Have been through the menu. No it"s not an expensive place to eat. Walk up there, save petrol.

On 1 Jul 2010 at 4:28pm MaccyD wrote:
ACT said "WE", not "I". As a result, ACT was talking on behalf of more than one person and this was not just ACT's opinion. I'd like to know who is this "WE" ?
Not too much to ask is it ?
Strange how people who express their opinions in favour of such outlets are classed as "lard-arse-fat-munching-litter-dropping-chavs"
See what i did there Down and out ?

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes Cathedral 63:132
Lewes Cathedral

Sweet Fanny Adams, Nev, what's it got to do with you? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare