Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Food Banks / Lewes

8
4
On 21 Mar 2018 at 10:40am Ann De Toumouthe wrote:
Hello hello
I have recently managed to move out from home and into a flat in Lewes. Hurrah! However the landlord and agency do not accept people on benefits as tenants. Because of this it means my rent with council tax is basically what I will earn each month (Why is Lewes rent/ council tax so much guys?!!). Iím still waiting to be paid and so with little other options and for the first time in my life I was forced into using a food bank this week. I feel a bit ashamed about this as I donít want to rely on the charity of others and I wondered if anyone could think of any odd little jobs I could do just to earn a bit more to help pay for things like food and the occasional train fare into work when itís too cold/ wet to cycle/ walk the 18mile round trip.
Anyway, any helpful advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you! X
18
7
On 21 Mar 2018 at 11:13am Forward Planning wrote:
If you can't afford it, why on earth did you do it.
(suspect this is the response you were fishing for ;-) )...
11
4
On 21 Mar 2018 at 11:24am Country Life wrote:
You've got to be trolling! Why would any sane person move to somewhere where you have no money for travel, food or utilities which is 9 miles from your workplace?
But if you're serious, I have some odd jobs, sure. What's your email address?
2
4
On 21 Mar 2018 at 12:12pm Ann Mc Clevesface wrote:
Look what happened to. me @Lewes
11
5
On 21 Mar 2018 at 12:38pm Clifford wrote:
Country Life wrote: 'You've got to be trolling! Why would any sane person move to somewhere where you have no money for travel, food or utilities which is 9 miles from your workplace?'

Maybe because you can have your benefit cut off if you refuse to take a job within 'reasonable' travelling distance? Do you know much about how stringent dole conditions are?
5
5
On 21 Mar 2018 at 12:49pm Arthur wrote:
Ah, but in this case, the OP isn't on benefits. Well, so they imply.....
9
10
On 21 Mar 2018 at 1:21pm Chaz wrote:
DWP says an hour each way is acceptable to travel to work.

Always surprised why landlords don't take people on benefits, at least that portion of their rent is pretty much guaranteed.
5
6
On 21 Mar 2018 at 1:34pm Country Life wrote:
@Clifford thanks for the detail regarding benefits, I have been out of work (many years ago) and back then if travel to a job was not within personal finances they used to give travel permits / grants to enable. The same may not be true now.
However if I were this person I wouldn't, in the same post as mentioning being on benefits publically request offers for (presumedly undeclared) cash in hand work?? It's not a serious post for me...
3
1
On 21 Mar 2018 at 3:29pm wanderer wrote:
surely you had to be advised by the citizens advice were they not able to advise?
you used to be able to claim housing council tax relief and be assisted with the cash being sent to you rather than the landlord also have you checked your on a single person rate for council tax ?
5
4
On 21 Mar 2018 at 4:32pm inthegutter wrote:
"However the landlord and agency do not accept people on benefits as tenants." isn't that illegal?
6
3
On 21 Mar 2018 at 6:28pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
It's not illegal at the moment, inthegutter, but someone took a discrimination case and won the initial case, but it is now going to the appeal court.
The basis of her case is that single parents are more likely to be reliant on benefits than others, and the vast majority of lone parents are women, therefore it is indirect discrimination.
I've thought for a long time that disabled people are discriminated against by landlords who refuse to accept tenants on benefits, I hope the case succeeds.
3
1
On 21 Mar 2018 at 7:11pm inthegutter wrote:
@ACT - thanks! that case must be what I was thinking of.
5
 
On 21 Mar 2018 at 10:37pm Fairmeadow wrote:
If you are on a low income and have high housing costs then you can claim Housing Benefit, and perhaps also Council Tax Relief, from Lewes District Council.
There is no requirement to inform your landlord that you have made an application. The Housing Benefit is paid to you (unless you request otherwise) and the Council Tax Relief is deducted from your monthly bill. You will need to be able to prove you pay rent, but your copy of your tenancy agreement is all that you need.
As with all means tested benefits, it is an offence not to declare all your income, including from cash in hand jobs.
Landlords have to pay higher home insurance bills if they take working age tenants who do not work. This, I assume, is based on claims experience. You will be asked about your employment by the landlord or agent before you are offered a tenancy. However, no problem with the insurance if you do work, but happen to have low earnings. Your landlord or agent will have asked about your earnings and considered whether you are likely to be able to cover your rent. They will have assumed you will claim Housing Benefit if you are entitled to it.
 
1
On 22 Mar 2018 at 11:05am Clifford wrote:
Country Life wrote: 'However if I were this person I wouldn't, in the same post as mentioning being on benefits publically request offers for (presumedly undeclared) cash in hand work?? It's not a serious post for me...'

I take your point Country Life.


23 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Anne of Cleves House 3:132
Anne of Cleves House

What happened to the direct train to Ashford? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy