Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Food Banks

On 12 Dec 2017 at 9:57am TheGardener wrote:
How can it be that certain people who rely on food bank handouts have money to spend on scratch cards?
I regularly see one such person buying a £5 scratchcard when they go to buy their fags and large bottle of coke.
Are scratchcards the whole reason food banks have to exist?
On 12 Dec 2017 at 10:06am The Greek wrote:
All 3 items are addictive, maybe start there.
On 12 Dec 2017 at 10:10am Bert wrote:
Scratchcards and The National Lottery is simply a tax on stupidity !! The poor usually pay it too.
On 12 Dec 2017 at 10:54am MG wrote:
For the same reason that betting shops with fixed odds terminals always target the poorest areas. Those who have least clutch at any thin hope, though the result is almost always deeper poverty and psychological damage.
On 12 Dec 2017 at 11:38am TheGardener wrote:
Well Iíd certainly like to win a million quid from a £5 scratch card but I canít afford to buy one. Simple. Or do I buy a scratch card knowing I can get free food to make up for the expense.
On 12 Dec 2017 at 12:01pm bored wrote:
@thegardener
Why are you following this person around? Bit weird mate.
On 12 Dec 2017 at 12:14pm Thegardener wrote:
No not weird, donít you see people you know in your local shop?
As a sometimes donor to Landport food bank, donít I have a right to be a bit miffed when I see someone making a fool of my generosity.
On 12 Dec 2017 at 12:37pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Thank God that most of us can go to a supermarket or shop and choose what to buy for my family, and have some compassion on those who, for whatever reason, can't.
There are worse villains in the world than poor people who use food banks and thereby save a few pounds for small luxuries, and you are a better person if you choose to donate to local food banks to help those who need to use them. There are plenty of people in Lewes who would be in real trouble if they didn't exist, and many of us are only a couple of mishaps from having to join them.
On 12 Dec 2017 at 12:47pm Peter 3:8 wrote:
This Christmas, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.
On 12 Dec 2017 at 2:04pm Landporter wrote:
@thegardener. What pi$$es me off is when they turn up with the latest iPhone, fag on the go and sometimes a can of Stella.
On 12 Dec 2017 at 2:33pm Old lag wrote:
It'll be a stolen phone
On 12 Dec 2017 at 2:36pm Itchy wrote:
Yep, scratch cards are absolutely the reason food banks exist.
On 12 Dec 2017 at 3:38pm big man wrote:
I bet all the local down and out pop down there before going for a beer and drugs
On 13 Dec 2017 at 9:18am Monstro wrote:
I'm amazed how many people using the food bank are overweight. There's some absolute biffers most days who look like a few days calorie free would do them some favours.
On 13 Dec 2017 at 1:18pm Yeh but no but wrote:
that's down to poor diet due to poverty, and ignorance about cooking and nutrition. Never mind, one day they'll teach Domestic Science in schools again. Starting @ LOGS
On 14 Dec 2017 at 11:55am @Yeah but no but wrote:
"Poor diet due to poverty" are you for real?
I was unfortunate enough to spend a few month not working in 2009, I couldn't afford to eat a family size bag of crisps whilst drinking from a 2 litre coke bottle and watching Jeremy Kyle all day (most of my meals were rice or pasta based).
It's nothing to do with poverty, it's the same reason these people are generally unemployed, they are thick as 2 short planks.
On 16 Dec 2017 at 1:38pm Think a little bit more wrote:
"thick as two short planks". Yes, perhaps, sadly, some of them are. It's called a poverty cycle.
On 21 Dec 2017 at 10:23am C# min wrote:
Let's have a real go at the poor this Christmas. As we're all perfect and never lucky we should crap on those who have next to nothing during the season of good will to all. Let's slag off the hard up whilst billionaires lord it paying no tax and bring poverty by zero hours contracts and minimum wages. Let's celebrate the culture of the workhouse a hundred years after a Christmas Carol and laugh at those people sleeping in the streets on these freezing nights. "That person rough sleeping had a cigarette, hahahaha! some deprivation! I bet they only do it as a laugh and go back to a mansion during the day Hahaha"

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Weeds for sale 130:132
Weeds for sale

I donít think Dominic is letting him out. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone