Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Flowers at the War Memorial for Lee Rigby

On 31 May 2013 at 2:39am Tom Freret wrote:
If u wish to donate towards getting either "Lee Rigby" or "Lee Rigby Stand Easy" (funds dependent) in flowers at the war memorial, u can now donate in the following places:
Harveys Shop
The Volunteer
The Crown
The Lamb
The Elephant and Castle
The Royal Oak
The Rights Of Man
The Brewers Arms
The Black Horse
Nevill Newsagents
The cheapest quote I have had, depending on funds received ranges from 320-680. It would be great to meet these targets and show our respect as a community to Lee. I understand is expensive but If everyone put in just a pound or two we could easily get the money together.
PLEASE DONATE, everything will be very gratefully received.
Many thanks Lewesians,
Tom

On 31 May 2013 at 9:39am Horseman7 wrote:
Tom, I used to babysit for you many, many years ago. My daughter is in the RMP. I'll pop into the Elly tomorrow and donate.
On 1 Jun 2013 at 7:27am jrsussex wrote:
The idea of paying a tribute in this manner is a great idea, my reservation is that flowers inevitably die in a relatively short time. Why not consider either donating the money in Lee Rigby's name to the Royal British Legion or the Help for Heroes, both of which carry out incredible work for injured service personnel, which includes welfare support of their families when a member of the armed forces is killed. Alternatively something like a bench can be bought for around 400, which would be long lasting. I would be very happy to donate to something like that.
On 1 Jun 2013 at 8:41am grafter wrote:
If millions of people bought and wore HFH t-shirts that might help and remind the troops we don't despise them (unlike the politicians.)

On 1 Jun 2013 at 9:43am Clifford wrote:
There are probably quite a few of us who opposed the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq but who respect our soldiers, who do not choose to start the wars they fight in. Personally, I think jrsussex makes a valid point about a more concrete tribute to this murdered soldier.

On 1 Jun 2013 at 12:46pm Double your money wrote:
If this gets enough support maybe both could be a possibility ?

On 1 Jun 2013 at 4:25am Tom Freret wrote:
Im going to set up a Facebook page as I feel this will help with trying to explain this better because at the moment I've got different things written in different places and people aren't fully understanding why this means so much to me (my fault). If you are on Facebook feel free to add me or like the page. I'll right on here What it is called. Thanks guys and apologies for not explaining myself efficiently

On 1 Jun 2013 at 5:54am Tom Freret wrote:
There is now a Facebook page, "Remembering Lee Rigby". All information is on there. Cheers, Tom

On 1 Jun 2013 at 10:09pm Nick Luthi wrote:
I think that it's worth saying that this particular tribute is about Tom, a Lewes lad, a member of Bonfire, a man who, regardless of the rights or wrongs, any politics or controversy, went and did a job for all of us.
Tom was seriously injured on our behalf.
He wants to pay tribute to Lee Rigby, his friend, another soldier, that when they were at Woolwich, drummed together and became mates.
He cannot afford to do this on his own.
Maybe flowers die.
But that's what Tom wants.
Isn't it better that when Lee Rigby's family google his name, they will see a sea of flowers on the day of his funeral?
This isn't political.
Just respect and rememberence for a young man and his grieving family.
And an attempt to show that we care.
The bench can come later.
On 2 Jun 2013 at 1:20am Thursday's Child wrote:
Nick Luthi for Mayor (again)

On 2 Jun 2013 at 9:31am amy wrote:
I respect your wishes to support the tragic loss of one of our brave soldiers who died in an appalling way. I am a supporter of HFH and proudly have a sticker on my car and wear a wrist band. I have always thought that named flowers at funerals is rather tacky and as mentioned above a more permanent fixture or a trust fund for his son. But I congratulate you Tom for your kindness. well done

26 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Harveys 42:143
Harveys

Yes, at the time Maria Caulfield wrote me a long email telling me what a wonderful job Network Rail were doing and how we would... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the walk along the ouse to Hamsey church, the view from the top of the Castle, Pells pool, the antique shops and boot fair, the lion in the window of the 15c bookshop, keere street
BrixtonBelle