Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Floods

On 7 Jan 2016 at 8:19am Dixie Normus wrote:
With the never ending rain, towns flooding across the country and Lewes having a river flowing through the town center. I have been wondering what the warnings are for flooding at night? Is there a siren, do bonfire societies march around the town? Or just CBS as they seem to own Bonfire? Just a thought, although it's unlikely Lewes will flood.....having said that at least the smellys opposite Tesco will have to move on a bit lively!
On 7 Jan 2016 at 8:33am Peasant wrote:
So much rain recently that the Winterbourne in the field by my house is suddenly there again. The ground is saturated, and I noticed yesterday a lot of water in the flood plain above Lewes. This happens from time to time. However, this is only the first of three events needed to flood the town. The others are a really violent storm, dumping several inches of rain on the sodden upper Ouse catchment in a few hours, and a coincident high tide flooding up the river as the storm water tries to race down. It does happen but, providing the river is kept dredged, only every 40 years or so. The east side of the town does now have a new flood wall but it has never yet been tested. It's time will come, but hopefully not this year.
On 7 Jan 2016 at 8:58am Grafter wrote:
Dixie, one reason why the Phoenix area is in the state it is is because of the 2000 floods. My car was damaged when a wall was pushed on to it there by the water and businesses moved elsewhere after that.
On 7 Jan 2016 at 9:13am Dixie Normus wrote:
@Grafter, yes damage was done by the floods. But this has no baring on the freeloaders residing there. Many businesses remained there after the floods and were then paid to leave by the previous land owners who tried to develop but failed.
On 7 Jan 2016 at 12:12pm in the know2 wrote:
they failed because they went bust! but hey did try and burn the buildings down first-failed at that to.
On 7 Jan 2016 at 12:47pm Tell me about your childhood... wrote:
@Dixie Normus, your user name would suggest some kind of inferiority issues, and your silly little jibes about CBS do rather make it sound like you have a chip on your shoulder. Perhaps it's time you addressed these problems instead of making childish remarks? Just saying!
On 7 Jan 2016 at 1:51pm Zebedee wrote:
@ Peasant.

Surely dredging the river above Lewes only serves to deliver more water more quickly to the Lewes pinch point (the first bridge)?
I'd have thought allowing the river to flood out into the flood plain above Lewes in a natural manner might be better. Planting lots of trees would make it better still.
On 7 Jan 2016 at 3:50pm Dixie Normus wrote:
@Tell me about your childhood....
How brave of you! Sit back down you muppet!
On 7 Jan 2016 at 4:38pm Tell me etc... wrote:
Name calling as well! You really are the 'put down King' aren't you Dixie!
On 7 Jan 2016 at 4:50pm Dixie Normus wrote:
Name calling haha. Better tell a teacher!
On 7 Jan 2016 at 5:06pm Tell Me... wrote:
Will leave that to you. Sure you can have a word with your form tutor on the morning....
On 7 Jan 2016 at 5:37pm I'm Telling You wrote:
In the morning or on the morrow.
On 7 Jan 2016 at 6:01pm xplorer1 wrote:
Dixie - you can sign up for telephone alerts on the EA website. Don't ask me where, but we've done it and I'm sure you'll be able to find it.
On 7 Jan 2016 at 8:48pm Lopster wrote:
So Dixie it seems your initial question was rhetorical after all.
On 8 Jan 2016 at 12:08am local dude wrote:
We are not that high above Sea level. Dredging to Newhaven may seem the answer, but water flows both directions. If we dredged the Ouse deeply, the high tide surge would come back up the Ouse and collide with outflow - resulting in flooding.
I would like to know how much " Peasant " really knows bout flood management.

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Weeds for sale 130:132
Weeds for sale

I see you still pay no attention to the bits that might tax the old grey cells. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine