Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Flooding in Lewes

On 31 Jul 2008 at 11:42am Lizzie wrote:
Hello there
I am brand new to this forum.
I am a student and currently doing a project on flooding in Lewes, and whether responses to the floods of 2000 were appropriate or whether more should have been/could be done. Do any of you have any views on this?
thanks
Lizzie

On 31 Jul 2008 at 12:50pm Taff wrote:
I cant really help Lizzie but there many who can and probably will but to cut a long story short, basically NOTHING has been done to prevent or minimise further occurances.
Try Norman Bakers Office.

On 31 Jul 2008 at 12:51pm big t wrote:
lizzie
shipping used to come up through Lewes and go right up to barcombe mills it was a navigable river then.I would think it could have been avoided if we spent less on what we cant see or use I.E trips into space and more on protecting what we have on this side of the Earths atmosphere a lot of this crap could be avoided.If the Ouse was dredged like it used to be it would not have happend. there are no flood plains for water to go its all drains and ditches.When and why they stopped god only knows. hope this is helpful
"BIG T"

On 31 Jul 2008 at 1:26pm ouse wrote:
May be worth contacting Lewes Flood Action, who have been pressing for improved flood defences in the town. Their website is www.lewes-flood-action.org.uk
There is a copy of the official report in to the flooding in Lewes library for background reading.
The majority of Malling now has much improved flood defences thanks to the flood wall alongside the supermarket car park and malling playing fields.
However, this does not help the other parts of the town that were affected

On 31 Jul 2008 at 6:19pm Doink the clown wrote:
I cant help either only to say it wasnt down to me over-squirting my fake flower that is pinned to my shirt pocket!
He he he! HONK HONK!!

On 31 Jul 2008 at 7:28pm BONYAK wrote:
I live at the top of a hill so I'm okay, not my problem

On 31 Jul 2008 at 8:50pm sashka wrote:
Here are a few things that alarmed me that you could maybe follow up as part of your project.
When the flooding occurred there was no alarm in the town centre. I only found out about the imminent disaster because I popped out to buy some paper and found the shop moving all the stock as high as possible.
There was no sensible, or well thought out procedure. pedople were running down to carparks to rescue cars, others trying to get home were trying to negotiate 'officials' who didn't know Lewes.
As the water was gushing up the street we were given an A4 photocopy called something like 'what to do in a flood' which was not only completely inappropriate, but also handed out too late.
Water was gushing up throuigh drains, adn peoples floors. This was not overflowing floodwater from the river, but rising water table, and channeled water through drainage. i am yet to understand how a partial flood wall will prevent this happening again.
The flood was different from the flood in the 1960's, and a previous flood, but no one seems to have addressed how flood defenses that might protect areas in one flood scenario, would work in another. One good example is the train tunnel which has flooded, and links two areas one of which is supposed to be protected by phoenix development. What use would such protection be if water just flowed down the tunnel from an unprotected area?

On 31 Jul 2008 at 8:56pm sashka wrote:
Oh, and bonyak, whilst you might be trying to be funny, flooding is everyones problem. For example if your house catches light when Lewes is flooded you might like to take note of where the fire station is whilst you watch your treasured possessions burn to a crisp.

On 31 Jul 2008 at 9:18pm BONYAK wrote:
If it catches fire there should be ample water around to put it out

On 31 Jul 2008 at 10:19pm lewes larry wrote:
I'm with BONYAK. If you choose to live near the river it should be compulsory for you to have to supply your own sandbags instead of poncing off our taxes to keep your shagpiles dry!

On 1 Aug 2008 at 6:50pm sashka wrote:
well I wish you luck putting out a house fire with an overflowing river and a bucket.
I don't live in the flood plain.

On 2 Aug 2008 at 4:24pm Lizzie wrote:
Thanks for your constructive input Sashka and Taff - very grateful
Lizzie

On 3 Aug 2008 at 1:34pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Wasn't the new wall alongside Tesco's car park supposed to be a flood defence? Although what it's supposed to defend apart from Tesco's car park, I'm really not clear. Maybe it'll take a bit longer to flood the bottom bit of Spences Lane next time, as water will have come over the rec and down from the top now instead of over Brooks Road and up from the bottom as well.
And of course, it'll just funnel more water down to the Cliffe.
Parts of Malling got no warning at all because the Envirinment Agency left them off the map of areas at risk.

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes antiquities 89 54:132
Lewes antiquities 89

And there was me, thinking it was some new low-impact exercise regime. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine