Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Flooding at Nevill Green

On 3 Nov 2011 at 6:07pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
When I came home at around 5, the water was well above bumper level at the corner of Nevill Crescent, by the hospital. On the hospital side, the water on the pavement would have been halfway to my knees.
It hasn't even been that wet today. We've had some heavy showers, but none of them have lasted very long.
I don't understand why they can't get this flooding problem sorted out. I know they've had a few attempts in the 20 years I've lived here, but none of them have worked.
Surely it just needs the drains to be enlarged, or more of them or something?

On 3 Nov 2011 at 7:10pm wanderer wrote:
no the drains just need to be cleared prior to the wet season just been outside my house for the past hour clearing the drains to allow the water down and rodding the few that are silted up
well done LDC for saving money and not coming out to the trouble spots

On 3 Nov 2011 at 8:05pm Dave wrote:
Actually Wanderer, clearing drains is a responsibility of ESCC not LDC.

On 3 Nov 2011 at 10:11pm wanderer wrote:
Last time one came out it has LDC on the side so i made the assumption that it was still the same

On 4 Nov 2011 at 12:10am stevied wrote:
Walking past Neville Gren on the way to work I noticed that the drains were blocked with leaves - walking home the road was flooded (with the usual mix of rainwater and sewage). Apparently there's not enough drop on the sewer pipe so when it rains hard it backs up and floods the road. Nice...

On 4 Nov 2011 at 8:13am DFL wrote:
I'm not surprised, there was a river running down Highdown Road yesterday evening !!

On 4 Nov 2011 at 6:48pm Drained wrote:
Same thing used to happen at the bottom of the avenue / corner of offham road. I let both ldc and escc know but had absolutely no response. I'm sure the drains are still blocked with leaves there. What a disgrace.

On 7 Nov 2011 at 4:37pm Cllr Ashley Price wrote:
As a Town Councillor I will be happy to look into the problems at Nevill Green.
If you like I can also contact my Castle Ward councillors (Susan and Roger Murray) about the flooding at the bottom of The Avenue.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Buskers in Lewes 17:143
Buskers in Lewes

Extinction Rebellion, the ecological protest group founded in 2018, has initiated its “Summer Uprising”. Namely, blockading roads... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell