Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Fishing

On 24 Nov 2017 at 11:40pm Barney wrote:
Planning to go fishing in the Ouse soon between Harvey's brewery and willies bridge can I get any tips or what bait to use
On 25 Nov 2017 at 1:41am endoftheouse wrote:
Master-bait. Cum on give us a thumbs up.
On 25 Nov 2017 at 6:47am Landporter wrote:
It's often thought best to fish it when the tide's going out. Always enjoyed trotting at slow low tide. Maggots probably work best but bread will be good too for Roach and Chub. Might be worth a ledger or feeder when the flow is slower for a few hours....don't rule out using cockles or prawns. Small amounts of loose feed every other cast will keep any small shoals interested. Don't forget there's some bloody big fish in the Ouse so be prepared. Tight lines.
On 25 Nov 2017 at 11:49am Hamid Barr wrote:
Always fish on the down tide - on the up it's not worth bothering with as most tidal waters.
Fish between a rod length or two out and centre with a stick float if conditions permit and otherwise a waggler. No need to heavy shotting just enough to get the bait down and trundle through. Maggot on the hook is fine and loose feed every cast.
There are decent bream in the river so if you fancy a gamble use a groundbait feeder with maggot/wprm cocktail maybe even some casters in the feed and be ;prepared for a wait and often a blank

On 25 Nov 2017 at 10:08pm Dixie Normus wrote:
I wouldn't bother there, the water is mostly salty, very silty and highly polluted. I would either go down to piddinghoe and beyond towards newhaven for salt water species. Or head to Hamsey cut and beyond towards Balcombe for fresh water species
On 26 Nov 2017 at 5:19am Landporter wrote:
@Dixie Normus. You need to get your facts right pal. Most of the fish species in that stretch of the river are largely intolerant of pollution, if it was that bad, nothing would live and that includes the vast amount of invertabrates that live under the rocks on the bottom etc. They adapt to the very slightly brackish water well and are not bothered by silt.
On 26 Nov 2017 at 11:59am Izaac Walton wrote:
Landporter is right. At this time of year, there are some superb roach, roach/bream hybrids, bream and sometimes, exceptional Dace to be had on that bend between the tesco's outfall and the relief road bridge with the chance of a specimen carp too. As it's got colder now , look for the deeper, slower runs. I normally trot double maggot with loose feed every other cast but casters are good. The bigger fish will come to breadflake and sweetcorn either fished on the bottom with a swimfeeder or trotted in the slower sections. Aim to get set up as the tide goes down to the point where the ledge at the brewery and the line where the bankside mud meets the chalk is just visible. You should get at least three or four hours good sport before the tide turns and it's time to pack up.

30 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Bonfire Society Penny 21:132
Cliffe Bonfire Society Penny

Anyone know why the police are stopping and searching cars outside Lewes train station? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like All the wide open spaces on the downs
Jojo