Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Fisher St diversion

On 20 Aug 2017 at 10:46pm A Person wrote:
Has anyone managed to figure out whether you can turn right at the top of Station St, since Fisher St is going to be closed all week? Otherwise how on earth can anyone on the south of the High St get across to the north east end of town? I looked at the diversions and I'm honestly none the wiser.
On 21 Aug 2017 at 12:59am Robert wrote:
The diversion is absolutely plain and simple. The council's authorised route is to turn left at the top of Station Street, drive west along the High Street (often effectively single lane because of deliveries), through the Bottleneck, past the slow traffic lights for County Hall, and right up to the prison, forking right to join Neville Road by turning right. This is a dangerous turn where oncoming traffic is often obscured by queues approaching the prison crossroads. Then drivers must take the difficult hairpin right turn just out of town, off Neville Road onto Offham Road. This will take you simply back into town on the very heavily congested (at peak times) road past the Elephant and Castle to meet the north end of Fisher Street.
No doubt the illegal right turn at the top of Station Street will be the subject of strict enforcement during the resurfacing work.
On 21 Aug 2017 at 8:22am Erm wrote:
Anyone got any better ideas for resurfacing Fisher Street then?
On 21 Aug 2017 at 8:41am A Person wrote:
Sorry: I should have said that I have had a look at the signed diversion and couldn't quite believe that they really do want people to go from the stop of Station Street via the High Street and then Offham Road.

The better idea would be to allow a right turn at the top of Station Street, and to introduce a pedestrian phase so that the crossing is protected. Not so hard really. There's no disputing that the work desperately needs to be done, but it does seem that there's precious little thought for anyone on the south side of town. (It's not just Station Street: the same thing will happen when they do West Street, once they've done Market Street)
On 21 Aug 2017 at 8:41am Sussex Jim wrote:
From Station Street you will have to turn left; and then proceed west along the High Street. Turn right into Irelands Lane, go straight on into Bradford Road and continue along The avenue. Turn right into White hill and proceed along West Street and Little East Street to cross the river.
On 21 Aug 2017 at 8:50am A Person wrote:
That is an option, Sussex Jim. It's still about four times the distance and takes you via a lot of residential areas, and it still takes you up the ridiculously congested High Street. It's also NOT the signed diversion.
On 21 Aug 2017 at 9:17am The Unholy Trinity wrote:
of 3 councils can't suspend a set of traffic lights and let a right turn be allowed ....................Portable pedestrian lights are available and have been used in Hailsham . Please come and look @ how a town centre should be refurbed. Sell your shoebox and get a decent house here .
On 21 Aug 2017 at 9:56am Bon Curse wrote:
Surely you can allow the right turn and there just needs be be an extra phase in the traffic lights where they are all red and the pedestrian crossing is green? How long is the diversion- three miles, with a lot of congestion i? How does that square with the councils' environmental policies. I don't understand this at all.
On 21 Aug 2017 at 10:52am Bleedin nora wrote:
Left at bottom of station street, up St Andrews Lane, turn right onto high street....
On 21 Aug 2017 at 11:11am Juan Way wrote:
That would mean having the diversion as well for any one who did go up station street not realising fisher street closed.
On 21 Aug 2017 at 11:58am A Person wrote:
Also St Andrews Lane is one way the other way otherwise yes, that would be an option. For the recent long term closure of Station St it was reversed, I think.
On 21 Aug 2017 at 2:12pm Just me wrote:
Instead of going up station street can't you just go up one of the other turning? (Not sure if any are one way) then make a right at one of those. Alternatively, turn left, through the bottle neck, turn right at the st Pancras church turning then keep driving straight until you get to the little round a bout just before the ele
On 21 Aug 2017 at 6:25pm St. Pancreas wrote:
As you're passing get a quick blessing - you'll need it.
On 21 Aug 2017 at 6:40pm Old Malling wrote:
There are temporary lights up there now (not in service yet) so maybe they're going to try the right turn option tomorrow. It didn't seem too bad today. I expected it to be worse.
On 21 Aug 2017 at 6:49pm Trotter wrote:
Leave your car at home and walk! It takes 20 minutes to walk from the top of Malling to the train station.
On 21 Aug 2017 at 7:01pm Car man wrote:
Unfortunately Trotter, some of us have to travel a bit further than the other side of town.
On 21 Aug 2017 at 7:10pm Upset wrote:
Absolutely ridiculous you can't turn right at the top of Station Street as the diversion is not exactly helping the environment
On 21 Aug 2017 at 11:22pm Rubylou Yarns wrote:
I'm worried about how we are going to get to the back of the Town Hall to set up for the Indoor Market tomorrow.
It's still on, everyone - despite the roadworks. Probably better if you use the Market Lane entrance and not Fisher St.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 5:16am Kit Ward wrote:
Mornington Crescent?
On 22 Aug 2017 at 6:10am Hot sausage wrote:
@kitward
Middle class twit
On 22 Aug 2017 at 8:03am #harsh wrote:
Takes one to know one..
On 22 Aug 2017 at 12:31pm Local business wrote:
It would help if they actually did some work. This morning the entire crew were engaged in smoking , drinking coffee and playing on their phones watching one bloke on the digger . No wonder it takes three weeks
On 22 Aug 2017 at 2:06pm Local business wrote:
Hard at work . 1.38 pm today

On 22 Aug 2017 at 6:41pm Rebel wrote:
I work in Southover, live in Ringmer. There's no way I'm going up to the prison and back again. Right turn for me!
On 22 Aug 2017 at 8:37pm Local wrote:
Put the bollards and barriers back after you.
Dick.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 9:00pm Paper Filler wrote:
I think the picture says it all. Maybe they were waiting for authorisation after finding a dead slug squashed on the pavement. What a total embarrassment; the Chinese can build a complete island in less than a year in the South China Sea. Pictures say a 1000 words.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 11:06pm old favourite wrote:
I did ask the digger driver making a trench down the centre of fisher street what it was for. Virgin Media. Well, at least they co-ordinated the cable & resurfacing. Maybe can't dig up two sides of the street separately like they've done in Malling weeks apart. Maybe. If that's the case they'll have fun when the digger falls into the cellars in Sun Street.

On 24 Aug 2017 at 9:31am Lewes boy wrote:
What a bunch of moaning people now live in lewes. Not that hard to get around really. May add a few minutes to your journey so leave abit earlya. Anyone who no lewes well enough. You can go past the new cinema. Turn left at the end of the road and then go up st Nicholas lane and turn right on to the high street. Only thing I think they have got wrong is they should of suspended all parking in the high street. And should do on a permanent basis. That would allow free flowing traffic at all times.

On 24 Aug 2017 at 11:55am CurriedFavour wrote:
This morning the diversion had changed to turning right at the top of Station Street. Even before this, the number of times idiots who turn right either at the top of Station Street and across the green-man-showing pedestrian crossing or outside Cheese Please and then up Fisher Street, is astonishing, regular bouts of road rage occur, latest this morning. Shame the workmen weren't raising all the kerbs around the junction - they're all dangerously level with the road.
On 24 Aug 2017 at 11:00pm CurriedFavour wrote:
'Right turn for me' Self importance in thinking your journey time is more of a priority than causing a danger to others is a special kind of ignorance.

7 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Arch Bishop burning 4:132
Arch Bishop burning

I'm grateful for Nevillman starting this discussion and being so generous as to refer back to me. My delay in saying anything... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell