Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Fillet Beef

On 14 Dec 2012 at 11:39am John wrote:
Where is the best local butcher or farm shop to get a special piece of beef for Christmas beef wellington?

On 14 Dec 2012 at 11:51am HelpfulHanna wrote:
Without question the Butcher in East Dean - faultless, superb, cannot fault the quality.

On 14 Dec 2012 at 12:05pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Boathouse in the Riverside sell exceptionally nice meat, as do Richards up the top of town. If you fancy a drive, the place the top end of Uckfield high street is very good too, although the name escapes me at present.
On 14 Dec 2012 at 1:21pm Sussex Jim wrote:
At the top of Uckfield is Bishop's the butchers. They used to be in Lewes. My wife used them when we lived in Uckfield.

On 14 Dec 2012 at 1:36pm Deelite wrote:
Very nice beef from Holmansbridge Farm Shop and Offham Farm shop also sell great local beef.
On 14 Dec 2012 at 2:50pm Jack Cohen wrote:
Tesco.
On 14 Dec 2012 at 2:55pm Southover Queen wrote:
I second Deelite's recommendation for Offham Farm shop - it's their own livestock and I thought the sirloin I got from them recently was absolutely first class. I haven't tried Holmansbridge's beef, but their bacon and sausages are excellent and that's where my turkey's coming from!

On 14 Dec 2012 at 3:33pm Deelite wrote:
Holmansbridge meat is all top quality.

I've not had sufficient experience of Offham yet to be dead sure that all is great but it is the only place I know where all the meat is locally produced (as SQ says, on their farm) and everything I've had from there has been wonderful. The sausages, pies and frozen hotpots are especially good. I'm looking forward to the experimental beef and horseradish pie they're trying out for the first time this weekend.

On 14 Dec 2012 at 3:51pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Can't comment on the beef fillet from Offham but their pies are terrific.
Their cattle look terrific on the hoof and I think they might be a pedigree Sussex herd. They also have lovely pigs in the yard, one of them (a saddleback?) likes to have her ears scratched.
On 14 Dec 2012 at 3:54pm padster wrote:
Jack thats priceless......where to get the best fillet beef and of course you say tesco, you are either stupid , employed by tesco, or very funny im opting for the latter.
so people to be clear good quality fillet beef should not be sourced from tesco.
On 14 Dec 2012 at 4:19pm Southover Queen wrote:
(Just wondering why I get two thumbs down for recommending two local businesses? I seem to have my own anti-fan club. Quite flattering, really)

The yard seems to be where they keep their farrowing pens, ACT. It's one of the treats of visiting - spending a few minutes watching the piglets racing around. It's so nice to see happy animals too. And yes, their pies are excellent!

On 14 Dec 2012 at 4:42pm Wellhung wrote:
Turners farm shop, The Broyle, Ringmer. Tel:01273 812440. Always buy my special occasion meat there, had a pair of lamb best ends (£10.00 per kg) last Friday 'superb!' Five fillet steaks (£32.39 per kg) the week before were amazing! Their meat is additive free, comes from their own stock and are well hung on the hoof the old fashion way.
Compare their prices, I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

On 14 Dec 2012 at 6:44pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Both Lew Howard in Ringmer precinct and Turners on the Broyle are top quality.

On 14 Dec 2012 at 10:36pm Jeffrey wrote:
Do like a bit of beef )))

On 15 Dec 2012 at 8:47am yoyo knickers wrote:
I like pork sausage. Especially jumbo size.

On 15 Dec 2012 at 9:11am bloke wrote:
Padster FYI Jack Cohen was the name of the man who founded Tesco. His daughter was Dame Shirley Porter.

On 15 Dec 2012 at 9:14am padster wrote:
I never got round to reading the history of Tesco. Thank you kindly for the info my fellow salesians.

On 15 Dec 2012 at 10:27am Wellhung wrote:
Fairmeadow - I agree about Lew Howard's quality but watch their prices.
Todays price for Fillet of beef...
Lew Howard - £42.68 per kg
Turners farm shop - £32.39 per kg
That's over £10 per kg difference!

On 15 Dec 2012 at 5:12pm Blip wrote:
Anyone know a good source for wild boar?

On 15 Dec 2012 at 6:28pm Bloke wrote:
Padster, did you know that Salesian College has gone? It merged with another school and became Saint John Bosco College based in Wimbledon.

On 15 Dec 2012 at 8:22pm Jeffrey wrote:
Where can I get some beef curtains from ?
On 15 Dec 2012 at 11:17pm Suzi wrote:
Jeffrey, do you like your curtains well hung?

On 16 Dec 2012 at 9:04am Toenail wrote:
My wife has a pair of beef curtains in the back room she does not use.

On 16 Dec 2012 at 9:49am padster wrote:
Sadly yes. I don't know if you noticed the recent comedy on BBC3 with jack Wilshire.
Filmed in the school as it is empty now.
End of an era both sir walter saint john our sworn enemies and salesians both gone.
Ps did you know Catherine Tate was in the last intake of the 6th form so 1985 my first year. Maybe you might remember her as you were a few years ahead of me ?.

On 16 Dec 2012 at 12:55pm bloke wrote:
1985 was the year I left. I found out that Catherine Tate had been there around that time a few years ago. The only other notable ex-pupil (apart from Alred Hitchcock who was there for a week) is Gus O'Donnell (aka GOD) the former Cabinet Secretary. He was on the same school football team as my brother.

12 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Chapel Hill Lewes 20:143
Chapel Hill Lewes

Google Lewes Resignalling then select Network Rail item. Shows dates more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine