Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Family in the woods.

On 19 Nov 2012 at 8:47am sceptic wrote:
Many years ago there was a documentary on t/v about a family in East Sussex who lived in the woods. There was the father who was making a submarine, two sons who dabbled with traction engines and I believe two daughters but only one lived with them. It was an amazing documentary and I would love to know whereabouts in East Sussex they lived and how they are today. They were an amazing clever and witty family and a repeat documentary would be brilliant.

On 19 Nov 2012 at 11:33am Southover Queen wrote:
I think it must have been the Page family and the film was called the Moon and the Sledgehammer. I hadn't heard of it but the director (Philip Trevelyan) is quite well known and it's clearly very well thought of. So much so you can buy a DVD of the film by following the link. Perhaps it's worth talking to The Film Club and seeing if they fancy a screening here. Nick Broomfield doesn't live far away either and might attend - you never know!

On 19 Nov 2012 at 11:38am Southover Queen wrote:
I've added a link to the website where you can buy a DVD. There's also a short extract on You Tube which you'll find if you google the name.

On 19 Nov 2012 at 11:51am Pete wrote:
Link SQ, where's the link ???

On 19 Nov 2012 at 11:54am Fascinated. wrote:
One of 3 You Tube links....

Watch the video »

On 19 Nov 2012 at 11:58am Fascinated. wrote:
Sorry 2....One is a duplicate.

Watch the video »

On 19 Nov 2012 at 12:02pm Southover Queen wrote:
I did add the link, honest! I've been having a little local difficulty which Webbo has been sorting out. I'll try again.

Check it out here »

On 19 Nov 2012 at 1:11pm Sceptic wrote:
Thankyou so much for all your help. It's families like the Pages that make this planet so interesting.

On 19 Nov 2012 at 1:58pm Southover Queen wrote:
You're more than welcome, Sceptic. In turn I thank you for bringing the film to my attention: I love documentaries but I didn't know about this!

On 19 Nov 2012 at 8:57pm Old Malling wrote:
A good Sussex accent there! Would be great to see a follow up documentary

On 20 Nov 2012 at 8:07am Enoch wrote:
I remember watching the documentary with my father who knew the family. I think the old boy was going to build a ladder to take him to the moon? Would love to see it again.

On 20 Nov 2012 at 1:49pm Jason wrote:
Thanks for reminding me about this, I went to see this family once in the seventies and it made quite an impression on me as you might imagine

On 22 Nov 2012 at 10:52am Des wrote:
Good golly. I remember this documentary from years ago. Where are they now? It's been over forty years since it was made. The brothers and sister could easily be still alive.

On 22 Nov 2012 at 11:15am Des wrote:
One of the brothers has died and a sister has married. Half the land was sold off but the old house is still there. It's location is a secret.
Google the village of Chiddingly and you will find the official documentary website in the links at the bottom

Check it out here »

On 23 Nov 2012 at 11:25pm Ruudie wrote:
One post said amazing clever family and another said one of them was going to build a ladder to the moon. Yea sound well clever.

On 25 Nov 2012 at 4:37pm Sceptic wrote:
Compared to you Ruudie they were clever and a darn sight more interesting.

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Station Sunset 81:132
Lewes Station Sunset

Just noticed. TP started "Quote of the Moment", although it's hard to understand what it's for. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine