Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Fake charity collections

On 1 Mar 2008 at 2:26pm RingmerResident wrote:
Just had a leaflet through the door asking for old clothes for a charity called 'Stop Indifference!' ... Urgently need old clothes, etc for charity registered in Lithuania blah blah ... Quick Google reveals this is a charity scam which is nationwide ... Collect stuff on the pretence of charity and then sell it on for own gain .. Normally run by our friends from the irish accented travelling community and eastern european peeps too .. Load of crap so ignore it and recycle the leaflet :-)

On 1 Mar 2008 at 4:13pm zola wrote:
I have had 3 fake E mails recently.I had an official looking E mail from my bank,stating that due to my failure to respond to their E mails,(non-existant)(asking me to re-submit all my details)they had no alternative but to suspend my online banking facility.They asked me to click on a link to reinstate it.And guess what...I pressed it.Luckily it wouldn't open.So I rang the bank.And they told me it was a fake.I'm sure you all know that the banks never ask for details like that in an E mail,and I now know what to look for.But I didn't,until I was almost caught out.So watch out!
2nd one was from 'Swiss online lottery'.Telling me I had won 750,000.I thought immediately it was dodgy.Put it in Google,sure enough it was.
3rd one was from 'Rose' from Africa.A god squader.Asking me to be 'friends'.I showed it my cybergeek friend,who immediately sussed it was a male,and told me not to reply.
So I am slowly learning about spamming.
I have no profile details on Skype,but that does not stop Pedro from Spain getting in touch 'for a chat'.So I turned it off...I have no details on Facebook either.I try to be so careful.But I slip up now and then...Just be careful too.Zola.*

On 1 Mar 2008 at 6:52pm Mark wrote:
Those email scams have been going for many years now, but it is good to remind those that haven't seen them before.

On 2 Mar 2008 at 7:24pm expat wrote:
I get upto 10 a day and automatically delete them. There was a thread about it a few months back where I followed a big money win from the UK, through the process to see how far the scammer would go. I took it as far as him ringing me (an upper class british accent heavily tinged with Nigerian),and then tellijng him to p*ss off. He thought he was onto a good thing and I thought it was funny! Cost him a phone call to New Zealand which I doubt was cheap from Nigeria.

33 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Arms Penny 56:132
Lewes Arms Penny

What is it with some people?
With their kid's education at stake, this numpty thinks it's a good idea to ask complete strangers... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde