Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Expansion of Tesco

On 13 Mar 2009 at 9:43am itsnotrocketscience wrote:
How can anyone, with half a thinking brain want Tesco to expand? Someone please explain.
On 13 Mar 2009 at 9:59am Spongebob wrote:
How can anyone with half as thinking brain NOT want tesco to expand.
It's all about choice dear, those who want to use tesco can use it, those who want to save the high street don't have to. We live in 2009 now in the UK where we are allowed a choice.
Someone please explain

On 13 Mar 2009 at 11:08am THEINTREPIDFOX wrote:
I think, and that's my personal issue with the expansion, is the monopoly Tecso has in the area. One in Uckfield (only competition a small Somerfield), one in Lewes (only competition a Waitrose if you can call it competition at all as they are in different price and quality bands). You really haven't got much of a choice as to shop at Tesco unless you have time to do shopping during the day when the local butcher and bakery are open. Most working people don't. I'm sick of throwing money into the throat of an organization that offers sub-standard quality food (a weeks worth homedelivery usually goes off within three days), whose duty Manager Paul doesn't give a damn about the broken glass along the river bank and the sandwhich wrappers and carrier bags blowing into the Ouse whilst he's watching me collecting Tesco rubbish, and a money grabbing vulpture of an organisation that fools consumers into thinking its so good value for money and that they are creating so many jobs when prices are actually overinflated (as compared to Europe) and a complete ripp-off and the news jobs are all plan of their totatalitarian expansion with no regards for others (see Tesco's objections to Aldi planning permission). I'm looking forward to the Aldi built in front of their nose. I have told my partner that I will refuse to eat anything that comes from Tesco and I'm bloody serious. And if it costs my life.
On 13 Mar 2009 at 11:15am squarepants wrote:
Please don't set Spomgeblob off again. He/She is living in some kind of outdated 1980's fantasy world where you can allow businesses to expand without any restrictions or considerations of others. Wev've all seen what happens when you let financial companies do that,
I can understand why Tesco's is appealing, but this is 2009 The time when supemarkets can bully Planning Commitees into submission (see internet for some Tesco tactics such as using another name on the application form) are long gone, and we all now understand that choice is only choice if you have more than one dominating shop, whether it be Tesco's, or a French Twine Emporium. Spongeblob has had policy explained, and we have all tried to explain why the Council have a responsibility to other rate paying shops, but Spongeblob can't understand it. Most of us can understand why a Tesco's extension is appeailing, but potentially disatrous to a fragile town economy based on numerous small retailers.
My only other point is that most people who would like a Tesco's haven't got half a brain, they are just expressing a shopping preference and when you explain what the problems are, many of them realise that they don't want to risk Lewes High St.

On 13 Mar 2009 at 11:18am Squarepants wrote:
I lovge the idea of tesco's own objection to Aldi, being used to object to tesco's! What did it say?

On 13 Mar 2009 at 11:20am THEINTREPIDFOX wrote:
Well said squarepants

On 13 Mar 2009 at 11:29am Local wrote:
And then there's Tesco's reluctance to pay taxes, which means their customers are ripped off twice: first at the till, second having to pay more tax to make up the shortfall.

On 13 Mar 2009 at 11:34am Spongebob wrote:
That is absolute bull**** mr squarepants. As i said, it's all about giving people a choice. If the high street is so appealing to people, then it will flourish and prosper even in this economic downturn and Tescos will go tits up.
We had a poll on here, which was 3/4 in favour of the expansion until someone worked out how to multiple vote. The vote ended up around 50-50. Everyone ive spoken to, and these are what i would call "normal" people (not antique loving middle class liberals who have more money than common sense) is in favour of a Tesco expansion. This will mean that they don't have to go to Asda for a majority of their shopping and can stay in their hometown.
If you, mr squarepants, can please explain to me what high street shops will be affected by the Tescos expansion, i would love to read about it

On 13 Mar 2009 at 11:39am Spongebob wrote:
So why isn't there so many objectors to Aldi building a new store. I personally don't care if it's Aldi or a Tescos expansion, as long as i can buy the stuff i want and need........and i can't flippin well do that in our high street unless i want to take out a second mortgage because it's full of over priced s**t that most people don't want or need.

On 13 Mar 2009 at 11:43am Spongebob wrote:
As ive said mr Fox, you don't HAVE to use Tescos and i applaud you for taking a stand.
However, there are many people who DO want to use the shop............as ive said, it's all about CHOICE.
If you want to buy your groceries and clothes from the high street, fantastic, you have more money than i have. Just don't knock the people who can't afford to and WANT to shop in Tescos.
On 13 Mar 2009 at 11:45am Spongebob wrote:
can anyone tell me why the good people of this forum are not so passionate about the free weekly (or is it daily) bus that takes people to Asda in Brighton and then brings them home.
This is actually taking trade OUT of the town, but no one seems to give a tuppny toss about stuff like that.

On 13 Mar 2009 at 11:48am THEINTREPIDFOX wrote:
Here we go squarepants
'It will only be a very small food store which has 850 core food lines, as opposed to Tesco which has around 70,000, and we have evidence our stores have helped local traders rather than damaged their trade.'
- Sussex Express -
Why does Tesco care one does wonder? 70,000 Vs 850 food lines..
lewes.gov.uk/Files/plancttee_071114_LW_07_0905.pdf
Paragraphs
6.8 and 6.9 (Why Aldi is a an alternative to Tesco and intended competition)
6.10 and 6.11 (Tesco's objection)

On 13 Mar 2009 at 11:49am Its Not Rocket Science wrote:
I don't know, but stop using my name !!!!

On 13 Mar 2009 at 11:57am Spongebob wrote:
If Alsi is only selling 850 food lines, then it must be selling a lot of other things that will compete with the precious high street.
It also begs the question, do we need a 3rd food selling supermarket ?
I do believe that the Tesop expansion will not sell food related items. I think it will be selling electrical goods (so that's Seymours finnished then....oh hang on, it went a year ago) and clothes (to compete with all the mens clothes shops in Lewes....i don't think so)
I do believe it will also be expanding the frozen goods it sells so that will chuck iceland out of town.....oh hang on, we don't have an iceland anymore
Get the picture
On 13 Mar 2009 at 12:11pm THEINTREPIDFOX wrote:
Spongebob, have you ever been inside an ALDI? Unless I have missed the twine, teddy bear and wooden toy rummage counter I don't think it's any competition for our High Street. Read the planning application. Btw, you will be delighted with ALDI's frozen food range. And no, I don't like to spend money on our High Street as it is to overpriced and even if I don't need to watch my pennies I wouldn't as most of it is horrid. I get my clothes from ASDA in Hollingbury or Primark and don't deny it. I used to shop at the very expensive boutiques until one day I had enough of spending money on poor quality for its price. Even NEXT is overpriced and low quality in my opinion.

On 13 Mar 2009 at 12:12pm Squarepants wrote:
Trouble is Spongeblob, you don't understand material planning considerations reagrding this issue, so your points are confused. Planners will not be able to approve Tesco's just because they have applied, and a lot of people like it and might like to buy their things. If that was the case, we would have a rather different looking retail environment. This is the UK, 2009, not the Victorian era.

On 13 Mar 2009 at 12:22pm Spongebob wrote:
I confess that ive never been into an Aldi (not Alsi as i previously typed). All i want is the CHOICE to buy my clothes and other items at a decent price without having to drive in bloody Brighton or Eastbourne.
Now is that really too much to ask. But because this is Lewes, a quaint little historic town full of arty-farty middle/upper class snobs, everything in our high street has to be either ridiculously expensive ot utter s**t and only any use to said arty-farty types.
The high street will kill itself don't worry about that. We've seen some shops disappear in the past few years and that has nothing to do with Tescos. Blame the parking scheme, the high business rates, the lack of choice the types of customer, david Quinn and his chamber of commerce......but don't blame people for going elsewhere because they want a better choice.
And mr Fox.....Asda rocks when it comes to decent clothes !!!!!!

On 13 Mar 2009 at 12:26pm Spongebob wrote:
So you're saying we shouldn't offer people a choice ? Oh hang on, you can have a choice as long as it's the high street. We need a totally different retail environment in this town, and most of the s**t in the high street came from the Victorian era.
This is 2009 not 1939 nazi germany !!!!!

On 13 Mar 2009 at 12:30pm THEINTREPIDFOX wrote:
And speaking of pushing local shops out of business, some really deserve it. Take 'The Shoe Gallery' for example: I went there, me and one other customer at the height of christmas sale in the shop. All of the staff standing around the counter and not even acknowledging my presence or asking the other customer or me whether they can be of any assistance. I was clearly looking for something specific (handbag - yes I know shoe shop; But they do bags too). There was enough sale opportunity for them but they clearly weren't interested. The bag or suitcase shop further down the hill was a similar story. Shopkeeper standing in front of me and obstructing my path with boxes when I wanted to reach certain items on the shelf. The penny dropped after five minutes and she asked whether I would like her to move the boxes. I did buy the item but think that both shops have a lot to learn when it comes to customer service and I'll be watching with joy when they go bust and have to board up their windows. That was me and that's what I got when I made a concious decision to do my christmas shopping with local traders in Lewes instead of Brighton. Very impressed, not.

On 13 Mar 2009 at 2:46pm busy herbert wrote:
It's time to wake up to the fact that there is no such thing as cheap goods. There's a price to be paid..e.g. Environmental destruction, exploitation of workers, poor treatment of animals, ill health etc etc. Tesco is a responsible for all of the above and if we shop there, we are too.

On 13 Mar 2009 at 2:47pm beth wrote:
yawnnnnnnnnnn

On 13 Mar 2009 at 3:33pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
"I confess that ive never been into an Aldi (not Alsi as i previously typed). All i want is the CHOICE to buy my clothes and other items at a decent price without having to drive in bloody Brighton or Eastbourne."
Spongebob, you have access to the internet. Why not use it for shopping instead of whingeing on about what you can't buy in Lewes?
Aleternatively, if you want the shopping facilities of a large town, move to one. Most towns of the size of Lewes only have small supermarkets, why should Lewes be any different?

On 13 Mar 2009 at 3:35pm Spongebob wrote:
DON'T READ IT IF IT BORES YOU BETH...GO AND HUG A TREE OR SOMETHING.
Busy herbert.....I presume you can categorically say that absolutely NONE of the high street shops are responsible for that too. And you can prove that Tescos are ?

On 13 Mar 2009 at 3:43pm Spongebob wrote:
I might not want to sit at a desk and order clothes that i don't like or don't fit me or stuff that is no use to me....again, it's down to good old choice.
You also seem to forget that a lot of people from outside the town regularly come into Lewes to use Tesco. I known quite a few people from Brighton, Newhaven and all the smaller surrounding towns that come to Lewes, who sais that these people don't go in the high street.
Lewes may be a small town but it's getting bigger whether you like it or not. Everything else needs to move with it but all i keep seeing is more antique shops and other shops that sell crap springing up.
However, the quantity of decent shops would be better off in a small village....and we all know who the idiot is in there don't we Annette (and it ain't me !!!!)

On 13 Mar 2009 at 4:44pm THEINTREPIDFOX wrote:
Step out of your sink Spongebob. Squarepants is talking the bigger picture, not the high street. The clue is: 'Wev've all seen what happens when you let financial companies do that.'

On 13 Mar 2009 at 5:01pm busy herbert wrote:
maybe it's past your bed time Beth

On 13 Mar 2009 at 9:42pm Chuck wrote:
Totally agree with you Spongebob, you are clearly a local and not one of the luvvies that move to Lewes from London. A-C-T suggests that most small towns only have small supermarkets, but those towns probably have shops that sell things useful. Burgess Hill for example, has a large Tesco, as well as Waitrose and Iceland, and from what I can tell, the high street there is thriving. Although there seems to be quite a few charity shops and hairdressers, there is an independant electrical appliance seller, a camping shop, a QS, Peacocks, a butchers, a carpet shop and even a shop that sells knickers less expensive than my car (beat that Oyster Lounge). Oh, and they also have a McDonalds and KFC!!!!!!! Before I get told to go and move there if its so great WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO??????? I am from Lewes, and it's not my fault that these arty farty pretentious types have moved in, and have turned my lovely town into the poncey place it is today. Good luck Tescos, I hope you get permission to expand, even though I hate lining your pockets.

On 13 Mar 2009 at 10:23pm Tesco Supporter wrote:
I couldn't agree more Chuck and as Spongebob said... it is our choice where we shop!!
These people keep missing the point, I have said sooo many times now that I will drive into town, park at Tesco, do my shopping there and then walk into Lewes to look around the shops (I say look around because I can rarely find anything I want or need to buy, I do keep trying though!). 'Their' response... shop online or go to another town... that means they don't really care so much do they? I thin these people just moved to our 'quaint' little town for a bit of Kudos, perhaps 'they' should leave and go and live somewhere like Tunbridge Wells and then they could shop in the Pantiles, should be right up there street it's nice and noncy and well expensive!!!

On 14 Mar 2009 at 8:16am happy-go-lucky wrote:
the shops in lewes as you all say are overpriced well dont shop there simple as that and tescos, well again you have the choice to shop or not to shop we go to eastbourne for our shopping a nice day out too!

On 14 Mar 2009 at 10:20pm Down for the Day wrote:
Chuck wrote: I am from Lewes, and it's not my fault that these arty farty pretentious types have moved in, and have turned my lovely town into the poncey place it is today.
I've seen a book of pictures of Lewes before it was nearly destroyed - the buildings knocked down, the atmosphere ruined. Perhaps the people who have 'always' lived here and did nothing to protect the town from the developers and the council should take some responsibility. If they don't, someone has to. What is sad is that there are some philistines on here who haven't even got the sense to realise what they're losing.

On 14 Mar 2009 at 10:40pm Chuck wrote:
Ok Down for the Day, give us some examples. And was this book the one that shows Lewes at the turn of the century?

On 14 Mar 2009 at 10:46pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Of course Burgess Hill has a lot more and bigger shops than Lewes, it's much bigger! The population is about 30,000, I doubt if Lewes is more than 20,000.

On 15 Mar 2009 at 8:41am Outsider wrote:
Population of Lewes is only around 16,000, Seaford which is around 24,000 has far fewer shops of any kind and only a grotty small Morrisons for a supermarket, oh, and a parking problem although it's free onstreet, it's always full of cars stuck there all day sometimes in the centre.

On 15 Mar 2009 at 10:58am Down for the Day wrote:
Chuck - No, it's the one with pictures going up to the 60s when the great butchery took place. That seems to me because most people in Lewes didn't keep an eye on things, didn't take an interest in how the town was nearly brought to its knees. It's not clever just to let yourself be bowled over by what developers and crass councillors decide is best.

On 15 Mar 2009 at 12:27pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I visit Seaford regularly for work purposes and rarely encounter parking problems. While it's true that Bridge Street is often full, the other roads in the town centre nearly always seem to have spaces.

On 15 Mar 2009 at 8:22pm Chuck wrote:
But that was the 1960's!!! Yes, I agree, there were some horrendous planning decisions then, but from the 1980's on, there have been many improvements for the better, such as the precinct and Friars car park. Do you remember what it was like before?

1 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Sheep 79:132
Lewes Sheep

Yes I’m really going to miss the ‘its Oh so wonderful and it’s only 600 quid’ advertising features … more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell