Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Estate Agents v Vendors

On 3 Feb 2017 at 4:37pm Fiona wrote:
What the hell is going on with property prices in Lewes? Just seen a very average looking 3 bed semi in Fitzjohns Road go on the market for half a million quid! Who's responsible for this sort of ridiculous pricing, the vendors or the estate agents? Whoever it is, they're living in cloud cuckoo land and clearly have very inflated opinions on the benefits of living in the town. What hope is there for our youngsters ever being able to get on the property ladder here?
On 3 Feb 2017 at 4:48pm Dfl wrote:
It's the 'invisible hand of the market' that decides property prices - capitalism ultimately - but made worse by government policy, i e Right to Buy, not ring fencing profit from Right to Buy for affordable housing in local areas, planning regs, etc. We get the governments we deserve.
On 3 Feb 2017 at 4:50pm Billy wrote:
@Fiona. I live just outside Lewes so am not overly familiar with the market there. However, I have noticed a number of houses in surrounding villages with inflated prices that haven't shifted for over 18 months. Interestingly, I suspect it is in part due to the vendor because when they don't sell, they seem to appear with a different agent at exactly the same inflated price.
Having said that, a house is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it!
On 3 Feb 2017 at 4:53pm Billy wrote:
As an aside, I caught something on the news last night about an affordable housing scheme where the property can only ever be bought and sold for 60% of the market value. Can't remember where it was though!
On 3 Feb 2017 at 5:09pm Bloke wrote:
It's a good location and there are still plenty of well paid folk looking for a safe area for their children to grow up in. They may well get the asking price.
On 3 Feb 2017 at 5:32pm Lewesian wrote:
One bedroom, top floor flat in Eleanor Close, advertised with Fox and Son....235,000
On 3 Feb 2017 at 5:54pm Beeswax wrote:
Can we take it that if you were putting a house on the market you'd insist on offering it for less than the maximum you could hope to sell it for?
On 3 Feb 2017 at 5:59pm Clifford wrote:
Beeswax wrote: 'Can we take it that if you were putting a house on the market you'd insist on offering it for less than the maximum you could hope to sell it for?'

How would you arrive at that 'maximum you could hope to sell it for'?
On 3 Feb 2017 at 6:10pm Beeswax wrote:
From estate agents opinions.
On 3 Feb 2017 at 6:42pm Lord Borgaasha wrote:
I'm alright where I am, so stuff you Lady Eleanor, your road and your agents. I'm off to Lindisfarne
On 3 Feb 2017 at 6:47pm Dan wrote:
Having had local estate agents round to value my house in Malling recently, I was amazed at how each one just 'bumped up' their so-called professional valuation in order to get me to instruct them. The last one asked what level the others had valued at and immediately slapped another 25,000 onto his price. Lewes agents are a joke.
On 3 Feb 2017 at 8:37pm Cubit & fox wrote:
Estate agents alway market Fitzjohns Road as being in 'the wallands '
Well it's not really and nor is Mildmay. It's an average road overlooked on one side, and over looking on the other. Plus it's not like they're period Edwardian places. Cross the road to Nevill and save yourself a packed for the same house
On 3 Feb 2017 at 9:35pm Thing is wrote:
Prices are bonkers...take a look at the sold prices recently... Rykehurst House in Rotten Row went for 3,020,000...
On 3 Feb 2017 at 9:40pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
I always enjoy the way estate agents describe a house as being in "the popular Wallands/Malling/Landport etc area. The prices have been silly money for at least ten years and I feel sorry for any young person who wants to carry on living here. How can they possibly get a mortgage or afford to rent?
On 3 Feb 2017 at 10:18pm Tda wrote:
Billy - I caught the end of that story, it was in Shropshire.
On 3 Feb 2017 at 10:35pm Knight of Lewes wrote:
I live on Fitzjohns Road and even I think it's ridiculous pricing. I agree with the comment about it being an average Road of 1950s semis. Ferrers is true to the Wallands character. Fitzjohns and Mildmay next door are on the edge at best but the estate agents keep pushing it. Leicester Road is ridiculous as well. 400,000 for a red brick terrace? Give over.
Thing is, if I were to sell up and try to get the same property with a drive and three bedrooms further into town then you can add another 100,000 on top of our prices. It's stupid. It's not right. But at the same time it's all I have. And for me to realise the potential profit that's locked into the property then I'd have to sell my home. My home that I work hard for and pay for and raise my family in. It's not just bricks and mortar to a lot of people and we can't afford to go any higher up the ladder either. It has to stop somewhere, doesn't it? I fear not. People keep borrowing and buying and estate agents will always at the end of the day be estate agents.
On 4 Feb 2017 at 6:57am It's all gone bonkers wrote:
People moving in from Brighton and London can sell their overpriced houses for now and afford a family house in Lewes. I remember when Neville etc was relatively affordable and that wasn't that long ago. A few houses for sale in the town are blatantly overpriced and that reflects in the fact that, although nice they have been hanging around for ages (Abinger Place 895k ffs). Still lots of demand for Lewes so if your house hasn't sold in a few months then chances are you're asking way too much. Estate agents who over price are desperate to get your business but it's a very risky strategy. You're relying on some Muppet to pay way over the odds.....
On 4 Feb 2017 at 8:26am Pubic & Pox wrote:
The whole thing's gone rotten. The disease of Entitlement is an epidemic. It spreads from the capital and we are cursed by our proximity to London.
On 4 Feb 2017 at 4:34pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Maybe if Wessex voted to leave England, a union that has never done anything much for us over the past millennium, and got control of our borders again to keep out all those DFLs then house prices could come down to an affordable level. Actually any other type of economic collapse would do just as well.

On 4 Feb 2017 at 8:43pm Beeswax wrote:
@Dan - don't tell them what the others have said! And don't tell them what your own opinion is either. If you can then keep an eye on local houses and agents for a few months. You'll soon find which ones are over-valuing just to get the gig.
On 4 Feb 2017 at 9:11pm Hypocrites wrote:
We're all Lefties brothers, until it comes to selling our house ;-)

On 14 Feb 2017 at 5:23pm ReneeBird wrote:
I'm thinking of putting my (Wallands) house on the market. Anyone got a view on the *best estate agent in Lewes to put it with?
*Best = reasonable valuation + straightforward to deal with

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Golden Bike 38:143
Golden Bike

'Reclaim the streets' Tom? You jest. The same procession year after year on one day, the same relentless brainless 'patriotism'... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde
Brighton Jobs