Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

End of the road for local bus services?

On 24 Jun 2014 at 6:09pm John Lamb wrote:
East Sussex Country Council is hatching plans for drastic reductions in local bus services and an average price hike of 30%. Buses will run far less often on many routes with some weekend services facing the chop. What price public transport for the fifth of Lewes households without a car?

Check it out here »
On 25 Jun 2014 at 9:32am Historian wrote:
"The council wants more of us to shop on line" !!! Will they be reducing business rates then ? In line with the fall in sales ? The council seems to forget they are here to serve us.
On 25 Jun 2014 at 10:30am Deelite 2 wrote:
What a great website that Lewes Travelogue is. So useful I've just subscribed to the newsletter.

On 25 Jun 2014 at 11:53am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Great news for Nevill residents. We'll have to pay 30% more for half as many buses.

On 25 Jun 2014 at 12:38pm trooper wrote:
I read with some alarm the news about the local bus services,has anybody got any definitive details if so can we see them. Thank you
On 25 Jun 2014 at 4:08pm Merlin Milner wrote:
Again Tory policy of old having effects now, like right to buy & house prices.
Deregulation and privatisation.
On 25 Jun 2014 at 5:20pm Jan wrote:
Yes Merlin,Tory policy propped up by the Lib Dems.
On 25 Jun 2014 at 6:26pm trooper wrote:
Is it possible to pass on information that affects those of us who have to use the buses in view of the proposed changes instead of reducing it to a political slanging match. There are a lot of worried people out here and we seek INFORMATION, so if your post is all you have to offer MM you would do well to remain silent.
On 25 Jun 2014 at 11:43pm Historian wrote:
Mmmmm MM "it's never 'our' fault always the others !! So the point of you, is ??
On 25 Jun 2014 at 11:53pm nevill resident wrote:
Thank goodness, so tired of 50 seater buses with 2 passengers engines roaring by the house every 15 minutes (they have an 11 LTR engine, so that is 7-10 cars!). We need mini buses every hour. If you want it for free, then you can wait.
On 26 Jun 2014 at 5:33am Landporter wrote:
Nevill resident is right. Apart from a few trips either end of the day, the 3 busses an hour that go round Landport are like the Mary Celeste. Try having 3 an hour between 7.30am and 9.30am and then 3pm to 5.30 pm but one an hour in between.
On 26 Jun 2014 at 8:07am Merlin Milner wrote:
Bus deregulations started in the early eighties. Just making a point that this policy is connected with the current news.
Jan, for the record I am against the privatisation of the Royal Mail. Over and out.

On 26 Jun 2014 at 8:43am Merlin Milner wrote:
If I find out anything extra above what the excellent Lewes Travelogue site states, I will post.

On 26 Jun 2014 at 9:46am bonzo wrote:
The report to Cabinet is shown on the ESCC website. All the proposed cuts are in this and there is a link to it from the Lewes Travelogue newsletter. The Cabinet meeting is on 1st July at County Hall starting at 10.00am. It is open to the public.

On 26 Jun 2014 at 1:04pm trooper wrote:
For those of you who want to see the agenda ref Buses, go to ESCC web site find cabinet meetings and click on 1st July. There are 4/5 pages. It makes interesting reading.
On 26 Jun 2014 at 1:51pm stevet wrote:
I live in Lewes and don't have a car, and I have never been on one of these ESCC buses. 28/29 and the trains get me everywhere I need to go. There'll still be aservice for people who need them though. Given that cuts need to be made thanks to the Government, this seems like a reasonable area to make some of them
On 26 Jun 2014 at 3:14pm Blakey wrote:
I hate you Butler

On 26 Jun 2014 at 3:25pm trooper wrote:
"stevet" Well done you, just one small point what train do I catch to get from the town to Western road with all my shopping ??
On 26 Jun 2014 at 4:17pm Clifford wrote:
trooper wrote: 'Is it possible to pass on information that affects those of us who have to use the buses in view of the proposed changes instead of reducing it to a political slanging match.'

Why not mention politics? After all, it's a political decision made by a council of a definite political complexion. Trying to depoliticise politics is very, er, conservative.

On 26 Jun 2014 at 4:18pm stevet wrote:
A rather juvenile response 'trooper'. I do actually leave Lewes occasionally and I find trains very useful for facilitating this. Clearly any cut to a service is regrettable but you will still have a bus to get you home, just less of them.

On 27 Jun 2014 at 12:33am Skeptical green wrote:
If you reduce the bus service to the point that it is unusable for working folk who need to get anywhere on time then the remnants of the service run almost empty carrying only those who have no alternative. Then you can say there is no demand for buses, cut some more and eventually scrap it altogether and go for those nice cars that do not involve any of that nasty communist nonsense like communities funding public goods from taxation on all according to income.

On 27 Jun 2014 at 8:00am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
That's fair enough, Tory. You may have been being ironic, but if not, perhaps you'd like to come and explain to my 83-year old neighbour that she'd better start having driving lessons.

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

rye bonfire badge 112:143
rye bonfire badge

It just bothers me that anyone thinks that they or the government have the right to tell me what I can put in my own body. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde