Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Email Scam

On 1 Feb 2006 at 6:07pm RU ONE TWO? wrote:
I have recently received an e-mail Scam on the email address I use for this and two other forums.
The email I received was trying to trick me into disclosing my personal bank details!
The subject was: Unlock your Account
It was from: security@firstusa.com (a fake bank)
The text of the email said:
".....the profile that you are using to access First Usa Online Banking
has been locked because of too many failed login attempts. You can unlock this profile online by selecting an option below" then a web link, which requested your bank, details.

The Lewes forum allows others to see your email address the other two forums I post on hide peoples addresses. I do not use my "RU one two" address for anything other than the BBC, ABC and the Lewes Forum.
So, this scam may have come via a web forum.
The scam has been reported and is now being investigated.

On 1 Feb 2006 at 6:28pm Gary wrote:
I get about 5 emails a day from Halifax (Supposedly), 2 from Barclays (Don't even have an account with them) and loads from Paypal with the same thing.. Its all crap and should be ignored! You cannot blame this web site.
If it helps you, don't put your email address on this site. No ones ever going to email you anyway...

On 5 Feb 2006 at 9:43pm Mr Right wrote:
Yep, you've learnt a valuable lesson.. NEVER EVER give out your email address in a public forum like this where it is not hidden away.
Don't forget that scammers also simply 'guess' email addresses in many cases.... they know there will be a j.smith@aol and a jgsmith@aol and a jgjsmith and so.... a computer simply guesses at millions of addresses and many of them exist of course.

On 6 Feb 2006 at 8:12am me wrote:
the trick is not to reply. As Mr Right says the spammers simply send out millions of emails with random addresses on them. When you reply or click on a link contained within the email, it simply confirms that that email is "live" and opens up that address to much more spam etc. Its always worth sending a copy of the email to the company that they are supposed to be from. Most companies have an address that you can send spoof emails to

On 6 Feb 2006 at 5:42pm Gary wrote:
Simply forward the email on to SPOOF@ the comapyn it claimns to be from i,e spook@halifax.co.uk

On 8 Feb 2006 at 2:20pm jilted wrote:
er mr right are you married

On 21 Feb 2006 at 5:03pm fred wrote:
good thing too others are under investigation but they dont know it yet

30 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau 2019 25:132
Cliffe Tableau 2019

A bit of info on this site. Search 'Lewes Trains' and see comments about loadings and May 20 alterations. I don't think anyone... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell