Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Eating in Lewes One to give a miss!

On 11 Jul 2010 at 8:10pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Today at Dorset Arms. Decided on sitting inside in restaurant area. Handed menu,decided. I then notice two other tables are occupied and hear from both tables,how long ago it was they ordered! This was some 20 plus minutes after we arrived. If they had been waiting since long before our arrival,I dreaded to think when we would be eating!! Two harrased looking young girls were serving same table outside and studiously avoiding eye contact with us. As you can gather we left. Landlady(possibly),asked why. Explanation was they did not know we were there!! Cleaner might have found us tomorrow morning, dead from hunger. Prezzo got our custom,we got lovely warm welcome,and as always good food.
On 12 Jul 2010 at 9:30am Devon wrote:
Maybe if you had ordered at the bar which you are required to do you would have received some food!

On 12 Jul 2010 at 10:01am Clifford wrote:
Maybe pubs that try to pretend they are restaurants should follow the restaurant practice of employing staff to come to the table to take your order. There's nothing more annoying than waiting to buy a drink while someone goes through their drink order and then their food order at the bar.

On 12 Jul 2010 at 12:07pm jrsussex wrote:
You are quite right, having to stand at a bar to order your drinks and food is time consuming which is frustrating for those waiting behind you. If pubs want to offer a catering service they should employ waiting staff. I always instructed my staff that once people were seated go to their table, take their drinks order leave them a menu and generally speaking when you returned with the drinks they were ready to place their food order. If a customer is attended to reasonably quickly in that manner then if a wait does occur they, more often than not, don't complain.
The same applies when waiting for drinks service at a busy bar, if one of the barstaff looks at you, with a nod of the head or "Be with you in a moment" then most customers appreciate they are busy and will wait. Nothing worse then waiting and no member of staff appears to have even noticed you are in the pub, much less look like serving you.

On 12 Jul 2010 at 12:12pm Clifford wrote:
There are a few pubs, JR, that could do with a session with you as a consultant.

On 12 Jul 2010 at 12:41pm jrsussex wrote:
Clifford - Thanks for the compliment. I do do that part-time and knowing that the trade is struggling with costs at affordable rates (Apologies, couldn't miss the chance of a plug). But seriously they are many licensees who basically have the right intentions but don't spend time looking at their pub through the eyes of a customer, it's not rocket science. Great lessons to be learned if they do.
On 12 Jul 2010 at 2:16pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Having been here on many occasions and been shown to a seat, and offered a menu,ordering at the bar was not an option.A restaurant is just that.In all the time we sat there nobody came through except a young harrased girl.It would appear the people on the other two occupied tables had not seen anyone for some time before we arrived! To my mind they could not run a welk stall!!
On 12 Jul 2010 at 3:12pm Dan wrote:
Its a dump

On 12 Jul 2010 at 3:30pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Quite so Dan. It never used to be. Garden and restaurant area used to be packed. It is either a restaurant or it isn"t. Prezzo gained £50 of my hard earned cash on Sunday. If the Dorset can afford to send away that sort of money,good luck to them. A large group who were considering it for xmas do,have changed their mind after my experience.

On 12 Jul 2010 at 4:53pm not from around here wrote:
I've always found that having to order food from the bar quite strange as well especially as it's not always clear that you have to do that. In one Sussex pub we were asked to leave our car keys at the bar unless we paid in advance!
I though it was bizarre but the pub seemed to think it normal.

On 12 Jul 2010 at 5:10pm SuziQue wrote:
Try the Snowdrop... still have to order at the bar, or you can ask them to come to your table and take your order. Lovely food, great atmosphere and friendly staff... what more can you ask for... reasonably priced too!!!

On 12 Jul 2010 at 5:12pm Treacle wrote:
When I have been for a meal at The Dorset I have always sat in the restaurant and been served, I have never ordered at the bar as I feel there is a distinct difference between bar snacks which I would go to the bar and order and Restaurant food which I expect to be served at my table...sounds like its going down hill to me.
On 12 Jul 2010 at 8:10pm Kev 01273264757 wrote:
Only problem I have with this is that pubs can not afford to have a seperate waiting staff to bar staff and you will find in 90% of pubs you will be served at the bar by the same person who brings out your food and works the bar.
I also have always thought that it is the fine line between pub and restaurant.
On 13 Jul 2010 at 9:34am Dorset fan wrote:
I was at The Dorset on Sunday and one of the other tables in the restaurant, and I was there when I now know from the earlier e-mail to be decent citizen arrived. the young man who served the younger lady at the bar was very pleasant served the lady for drinks and did explain about ordering food at the bar. Equally did the same to me, however I asked if someone would come to our table to take the order, which he did, no problem. Food & service great, throughlly enjoyed our visit. Will be back
On 13 Jul 2010 at 10:28am Lewes Local wrote:
Hi, The Dorset, (changed name about 4 years ago) is one of the only pubs in Lewes with a great outside eating area. I was there this weekend, busy outside both days. I agree with earlier comments that in the current market it really is not realistic to employ just waitng staff in a busy pub. I visit Dorset 3/4 times a month, atmosphere, friendliness of staff, service, food great. At times maybe a little slow, but only when garden manic. Great having seperate smoking & non smoking areas in garden. Don't know any other pub in Lewes does that. Find it strange, as staff obviously passed decent citizen at table, why did not say 'we are ready to order' to passing staff. Sometimes we the customers aren't the easiest to please and don't help the situation. Glad decent citizen had a good meal elsewhere, but know that equally you would have had a great meal at The Dorset. Every business has it's issues now & then, but at least at The Dorset you get served by staff from Lewes!! The large chain restaurants in Lewes tend to have a different recruitment policy. I recommend The Dorset and they serve a great pint of Harvey's, something else local!!

On 13 Jul 2010 at 11:03am Sussex Scribbler wrote:
One man's meat... Seems a bit unfair to slag off one place for slow service - if DC had got up and asked for service they'd have had a great meal, rather than chain food which imo is never as good. I've invariably had excellent meals at the Dorset, especially the fish and seafood. But never understood why Chaula's is so popular - had a dreadful meal there - so it shows everyone has different tastes and different experiences. Why not complain directly to the pub next time? (which before you ask, we did at Chaula's... not the most professional response received I have to say).

On 13 Jul 2010 at 11:22am Treacle (was not there) wrote:
Its amazing how all these people who attended the Dorset on Sunday have found their way onto this site to comment(maybe I have a suspicious mind)...I have heard other bad reports away from this site, If the place is calling itself a restaurant then the expectation is table service and good service as thats what you expect to pay for. I wont pay for slow service, its obvious a few "Sunday" diners will... :|
On 13 Jul 2010 at 11:32am Decent Citizen wrote:
DORSET FAN. I do believe you have confused us with other people. . Of the two other tables occupied,one was a middle aged couple and and elderly lady who was complaining she was hungry! The younger woman told her to stop moaning they were all hungry and tired of waiting.The other table was occupied by a middle aged lady and man who also were tired of waiting. I actually spoke to this couple! LEWES LOCAL. When we arrived we told a young man at the bar that we wished to eat in the restaurant. He handed us menus and said to take any seat. NEITHER of us bought a drink.On many previous visits this has been followed by someone coming to table asking if we would like a drink while deciding. Had that happened on this occasion, we would have been acknowledged as being there, and probably been more inclined to be patient!! The young girl who rushed past us looked near to tears,poor girl, so interupting her at the speed she was going was not an option!!.

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Where did you get that hat 141:143
Where did you get that hat

Once more onto the beach dear fiends.... Nev, I'm not trying to impress or confuse, just saying what I believe, and what I... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams