Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Eating Out in Lewes: Shelley's

On 27 Dec 2007 at 6:42pm Sweder wrote:
Hi all - forum newbie and long-time Lewes resient here.
I'm planning a special dinner for a lady enjoying her 80th birthday. She says she'd like to eat at Shelley's but last time I was there (around four years ago) the food was some way short of special.
Has anyone dined there and would either recommend or condemn it? Our other choice was The Rainbow, which I have always found to be excelletn for ambiance, service and food quality. Many thanks!

On 27 Dec 2007 at 8:05pm Double Yellow Line wrote:
Went to Shelleys on mothers day this year and was very unimpressed with the food.

On 27 Dec 2007 at 8:41pm SHS wrote:
Circa. Can't beat it. Value, service, fresh and flavoursome food, a culinary delight as the chefs excel themselves every day without fail. A truly unforgettable experience and you won't want to leave. Run by local people using local ingredients for local customers. Circa. That's at Pelham House - follow the signs for Circa. (Circa).

On 27 Dec 2007 at 8:45pm sue wrote:
Hi heard the swan over southover is very good can get very booked uo why not give john the swan a call, but if you are looking for a proper resturant can't help you.

On 27 Dec 2007 at 8:55pm zola wrote:
Had festive lunch at Shelleys a couple of weeks back with the family for my Mums 80th.
I had wood pigeon,roast tatties+veg, and a lovely prawn starter.Cheese+biscuits(nice cheese)The food was beautifully cooked,couldn't fault it.
The service was impeccable....But my taste buds required a bit of a boost,which this food did not deliver(But I like big flavours)It was a bit tasteless....But I would recommend Shelleys.Very safe option.Apparently Shelleys has been taken over in the last 6 months,and had a revamp.But all the staff were kept on.Lovely coffee and home made biscuits.And no,I don't work there or have anything to do with the place.I had heard it was no good,but I was pleasantly surprised.Take your friend there,no one will complain.

On 28 Dec 2007 at 12:04am Sweder wrote:
Thanks. Circa @ Pelham House is certainly a great suggestion. Oddly enough a relative told me this had closed recently. I smell a rat, as I know Circa to be on the dear side and she will be one of those footing the bill.
Interestingly so far nothing positive about Shelley's.
A good tip for out of town is also The Griffin at Fletching. Two dining areas, one in the bar area - high quality pub grub - the other in the restaurant proper. Top end of the price range but in fairness far better than anything else I've tried in the region - that goes for the quality of the staff as well as the food. The wine list is always imaginitive and the Maitre'D, a very colourful character, is well worth talkking to if, like me, you are clueless about sniffing out good wine on a budget.
We've a few folks arriving from far and wide or else we'd go there!

On 28 Dec 2007 at 12:10am zola wrote:
Had festive lunch at Shelleys a couple of weeks back with the family for my Mums 80th.
I had wood pigeon,roast tatties+veg, and a lovely prawn starter.Cheese+biscuits(nice cheese)The food was beautifully cooked,couldn't fault it.
The service was impeccable....But my taste buds required a bit of a boost,which this food did not deliver(But I like big flavours)It was a bit tasteless....But I would recommend Shelleys.Very safe option.Apparently Shelleys has been taken over in the last 6 months,and had a revamp.But all the staff were kept on.Lovely coffee and home made biscuits.And no,I don't work there or have anything to do with the place.I had heard it was no good,but I was pleasantly surprised.Take your friend there,no one will complain.

On 28 Dec 2007 at 8:07am Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
For nearby places I really like the Jolly Sportsman. The food is excellent and the atmosphere is really lovely. It's not particularly cheap but is worth it. Don't forget to order extra veg: famously the portions of veg that come with the meals are rather small.

On 30 Dec 2007 at 11:47pm Renee Bird wrote:
Don't bother with the Rainbow in Cooksbridge. Trading on former glories. We went there for Sunday lunch and had bad service and lousy food (the potatoes weren't even roasted, they were the frozen ones you deep fry). Seriously shoddy. The Griffin or the Jolly Sportsman are much much nicer

On 1 Jan 2008 at 10:39am Mark wrote:
Jolly Sportsman is the one you should try.
You pay a bit extra but it is certainly worth it.

On 4 Jan 2008 at 3:44pm George Doors wrote:
The White Hart is rather nice.

On 4 Jan 2008 at 3:58pm Egg On Ronay wrote:
The White Hart - nice ??!! I had my wedding reception there a few years ago, and the only thing I can liken it to is pre Jamie Oliver school dinners !

On 4 Jan 2008 at 5:55pm Avidfan wrote:
You've got to be kidding, GD?

On 4 Jan 2008 at 6:37pm Lewesianne wrote:
I remember that slimy waiter who worked there years ago. He used to sexually harrass every female who worked there. And if he wasn't uttering filthy suggestive, degrading and embarrassing remarks in their ear, he was bullying them. Didn't he get sacked in the end?

On 5 Jan 2008 at 3:35pm bill wrote:
come to my place on Sundays starting next week food beyond belief not just fruit and veg now will be open most nights too

On 5 Jan 2008 at 4:03pm FA wrote:
And take a mortgage out before you go !!!!!!!

On 5 Jan 2008 at 7:35pm Chairman of the Board. wrote:
So why is it that some people advertising their shops/business/restaurants often get their knuckles rapped for doing so on this site? Come on,the usual slaggers are being a bit slow tonight....Bill,word will no doubt get around anyway,you do enough advertising,and I hope fortune carries on shining on your empire.You deserve it.But you are too expensive for me,I make food just as good if not better at home....

On 5 Jan 2008 at 8:41pm Double Yellow Line wrote:
I don't think that was the real bill posting!!

On 5 Jan 2008 at 11:53pm C.of the Board. wrote:
I did think of that,what with the awful spelling ...But whatever,someone felt the need to plug him....He doesn't need to,especially on Lewes Online! I'm surprised no one else has picked up on this.Nothing against him,I just think having been here a while,and seen the reactions of fellow posters when people try to plug their own businesses...They normally get a bit of a beating.Just my 5 pennyworth.

On 6 Jan 2008 at 5:02pm The Super K wrote:
I don't think that was the real Double Yellow Line posting, The word Tw@t was missing.

On 6 Jan 2008 at 8:26pm Lewesianne wrote:
I have never eaten in bills, dunno why, I suppose every time I go past, it looks too overcrowded. And cold too! I've heard nothing but good about the food though.

On 6 Jan 2008 at 9:44pm zola wrote:
Yes,the food is lovely,but so very expensive...Maybe it's just me. I was treated to a baked potato topped with hummus with a couple of roasted peppers on top and some trendy green stuff,and a coffee.Over 8.00.And I went for one of the cheapest things on the menu....Inside was full up,so we sat on the seats outside and enjoyed the steady stream of fumes from the passing traffic.Lovely food,unneccesarily expensive I think...

On 7 Jan 2008 at 9:47am George Doors wrote:
Its better that 'The real eating company'. Better food (more of it), friendly service, cheaper and without a pretentious name.

On 8 Jan 2008 at 6:29pm bill wrote:
Sunday roast only 14.99 almost booked up for this Sunday. What a bunch of mugs you all are .

On 9 Jan 2008 at 11:43am FA wrote:
14.99 ?????...that just about sums Lewes up. You can get a carvery at a nice country pub for almost half that.
I can just see the clientelle in there on sunday....upper class snobs who want to be middle class and other middle class wannabes who will never get there although they think they have a chance if they "lunch" at Bills.
Bet Norman Baker and Marina Pepper will be there.

On 9 Jan 2008 at 5:45pm common man wrote:
bet they will too

On 9 Jan 2008 at 7:34pm lemony snickett wrote:
Please will someone open a place that's just like Bill's but less expensive? Open evenings and weekends? For normal people who don't have swiss bank accounts? There's obviously a demand for it. It could cut down the queues!

On 10 Jan 2008 at 8:06pm For The Record wrote:
I've never eaten there, but one of my work colleagies was telling me the other week about a recent visit there. The tables were all full although there was a table with four spaces and one toffee nosed woman sitting alone at it. When my friend asked if she could share a table, the snooty customer slowly and purposely looked her up and down and then, after a pregnant pause, replied "no".
Come on Bill - is this really the clientelle that you want?

On 11 Jan 2008 at 7:43am FA wrote:
I'm afraid it is.....because they're the only ones prepared to pay the extortionate prices

On 14 Jan 2008 at 12:50am bills is crap wrote:
Bills has lots of problems so I will not eat there. unrefrigerated meat and dairy lying all around the shop, a takeover bid of the street (the Council agree he is in the wrong ) and I don't think it is very hygenic. Just have a look at them making your food when they are really busy.

On 18 Jan 2008 at 7:22pm lemony snickett wrote:
I had a coffee there and a small goats cheese tart on its own on a big plate and it came to 6!!!!!! I think Bill's is great really but can't afford to go there. If I go there with a friend we order one dish between us! I saw a woman with long hair leaning across some filled rolls, to pay at the counter, and her hair was all over them as they weren't covered. They need to be more careful.

On 18 Jan 2008 at 10:48pm Fresh Air Inspector. wrote:
Well,if this is the case he should be more careful...
Seeing as his empire is growing(One is Brighton I know of)
and another newborn on the way.....
He should trust his young staff a bit more.(?)
Judging by the racket that comes out of his emporium most evenings when they are 'clearing up'....
Hate to be honest but I think a bit if the old Columbian Powder may come in here....

On 23 Jan 2008 at 4:13pm Harriet wrote:
The griffin is good, but overrated and really expensive! Pelham house is great, Circa left on new year's even and hotel is one unit now, lots of functions rooms, and nice place, not expensive either. The 5 Bells at Chailey has a lovely menu too, and the staff are very friendly and welcoming.

On 25 Jan 2008 at 1:56pm philip smith wrote:
bill is a freemason like the rest of them in lewes golden hand shake, you scrach my back and i scrach urs but not all of them are freemasons

3 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Swan penny 122:143
Swan penny

Google Lewes Resignalling then select Network Rail item. Shows dates more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams