Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Earwig Corner Allotments

On 4 Aug 2015 at 10:25am Shanty Town Resident wrote:
There seem to be an awful lot of people on this forum who refer to the earwig corner allotments as a 'shanty town'. I thought it was worth mentioning that it's a 'shanty town' full of enthusiastic, supportive and friendly people who have formed a community around their passion.
I'm proud of our plot, and would sooner spend my allotment days with good neighbours in their slightly ramshackle gardens than wait half a decade to to be graced with a plot run by a priggish, stuffy committee that would piss and moan about the spacing between my leeks.
That is all!
On 4 Aug 2015 at 1:14pm townie wrote:
It's a mess, end of.
On 4 Aug 2015 at 1:16pm Taff wrote:
Fisher Street is a mess.
On 4 Aug 2015 at 1:56pm af wrote:
We are extremely proud of our allotment at Earwig Corner, as are most people there. They are a wonderful group of people; helpful, friendly and welcoming. It's a lovely little community and a great place to escape the narrow, petty minded idiots who inhabit our town. We all work very hard, some of us with very little resources and will continue to do so because it is worth it.
On 4 Aug 2015 at 2:09pm bastian wrote:
there are far too many people who would like evrything to be tidy rather than fun and full of excitement.
On 4 Aug 2015 at 2:38pm little wren wrote:
Don't rise to the silly billies on here. Earwig corner is wonderful, i love going past to see what you're up to.
On 4 Aug 2015 at 2:46pm Trooper wrote:
Please ALL of you at Earwig Corner take NO notice of the critics,I can, and I am sure others can remember when very nearly all of the area was a disaster, tall grass,every weed you can get and rubbish galore.It is great now please keep it up.
I had two allotments there when it was dreadfull so I do know of what I write.
On 4 Aug 2015 at 4:46pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Get over yourselves and get a life.
I think Ill have one of our wonderful allotment grown carrots and eat it with a smug look on my face
On 4 Aug 2015 at 5:49pm Newell Fisher wrote:
By "yourselves" I mean those who think Earwig is a mess. Best to make that clear
On 4 Aug 2015 at 7:54pm Bugs Bunny wrote:
Neeeeeeeer less The Good Life and more The Smug Life for you guys eh doc?!
On 4 Aug 2015 at 7:55pm Percy wrote:
Glad you find your allotments enjoyable, I particularly enjoy the cars parked half on the road causing problems at a busy junction and trying to manoeuvre round them without smashing my car up.

On 4 Aug 2015 at 8:00pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Percy: presumably you have reported this?
On 4 Aug 2015 at 8:07pm Elmer Fudd wrote:
Bder bder bder I'm gonna shoot you pesky wabbbit for eating his carrot and nibbling on his wadishes!
On 4 Aug 2015 at 8:25pm Percy wrote:
NF do you think the local rozzer's can be bothered with illegal parking? Have you lived in Lewes long?
On 4 Aug 2015 at 8:33pm HughFearnleyWhittinstall wrote:
@Percy: Long enough to get an allotment!? He must be retired by now I guess!
On 4 Aug 2015 at 8:37pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Percy: since 1973. So I take it your answer is no?
On 4 Aug 2015 at 8:41pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Hugh: It took us no time at all to get our plot, as Earwig is not Council owned.
And we found out plots were available through......Lewes Forum
Any more anonymous whinging?
On 4 Aug 2015 at 8:42pm af wrote:
Percy: the plot holders who are adjoining the Uckfield Road are at far more risk from car drivers who exceed the speed limit. We take our life in our hands when attempting to exit the car park. There is an active claim in progress a the moment due to damage done by a lunatic driver who left the corner and mounted the wall exactly where our plot is. It was merely due to the time of day that this happened, that no one was injured or worse.
On 4 Aug 2015 at 8:47pm Percy wrote:
NF I think that there must be 300-400 people a day who work at the Police Hq who pass by those allotments. Now I don't care how much fun you have digging in the dirt or how big your onions are, but I don't understand why its okay to park on the road and across the pavement inconveniently for other road users. Its not rocket science is it.
On 4 Aug 2015 at 8:49pm Angela Fisher. wrote:
Percy, read my post!
On 4 Aug 2015 at 8:56pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Percy: How strange that all those police employees seem not to have raised the issue. Perhaps this is just your thing....
By the way, it's SOIL not dirt. Look it up.

On 11 Aug 2015 at 10:51pm Cuba Raft Rider wrote:
Can you please pass on the message, Park Somewhere Else. The amount of times I have a had to avoid that dammed Dell Boy Reliant Robin. because the carriage way is partially blocked is rediculous. Walk, cycle, take the bus but FFS if you chose to drive park legitimately & responsibly.
On 11 Aug 2015 at 11:13pm Shanty Town Resident wrote:
Percy, I hope this finds you well and not as the victim of an unfortunate allotment parking related accident. While the 150 meters of empty road between the turn off and the first parked car is enough for most local residents to avoid catastrophe, I'm sorry to hear that you don't possess their lightning quick reflexes.
Unfortunately, there is not always enough room in the car park for all the allotment related vehicles and some of them end up half on the road and half on the pavement.
We really can't win. If they are half on the road then those approaching a give way junction at a speed Ayerton Senna would be proud of are at risk of pranging their cars. If we leave them half on the pavement then we risk upsetting the local buggy community, who seem to have opted exclusively for buggies wider than the two of pavement available.
Why don't we continue to only slightly break the local parking restrictions and you can take to driving only slightly over the national speed limit when approaching a T junction? Just for now of course, I'm sure the local constabulary are taking this as seriously as we are.

On 11 Aug 2015 at 11:26pm Shanty Town Resident wrote:
Percy, I hope this finds you well and not as the victim of an unfortunate allotment parking related accident. While the 150 meters of empty road between the turn off and the first parked car is enough for most local residents to avoid catastrophe, I'm sorry to hear that you don't possess their lightning quick reflexes.
Unfortunately, there is not always enough room in the car park for all the allotment related vehicles and some of them end up half on the road and half on the pavement.
We really can't win. If they are half on the road then those approaching a give way junction at a speed Ayerton Senna would have been proud of are at risk of pranging their cars. If we leave them half on the pavement then we risk upsetting the local buggy community, who seem to have opted exclusively for buggies wider than the two meters of pavement available.
Why don't we continue to only slightly break the local parking restrictions and you can take to driving only slightly over the national speed limit when approaching a T junction? Just for now of course, I'm sure the local constabulary are taking this as seriously as we are.

13 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes centre of The Cosmos 64:132
Lewes centre of The Cosmos

Imagine being told off by TP for butting into other peoples conversations, of ALL people. The shame!!! more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde