Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Earwig Corner

On 6 Feb 2015 at 8:24am Cav wrote:
Following on from a recent thread about the Lewes/Ringmer cycle path, does anyone have any information regarding plans to upgrade/change the junction at earwig corner? Thanks all
On 6 Feb 2015 at 1:50pm Planner wrote:
They are doing away with the shanty town allotments and putting a roundabout in. June 2015
On 6 Feb 2015 at 5:18pm Sussex Jim wrote:
I have read Xplorer 1's post and the "check out" link.
I feel that schoolchildren attending Ringmer school should be encouraged to cycle from the catchment area in Lewes; along a proper path. (They can do now, using the pavement)
But the cycle path should run via Earwig Corner; and then via a light controlled crossing into Prince Charles Road, to cycle on into Malling, etc.
A few years ago, Earwig corner was "rebuilt" at a cost of around 300 000; with no apparent improvement. How much would it cost to make the alterations I have suggested?
On 6 Feb 2015 at 10:28pm Fairmeadow wrote:
The proposed improvements at the recent Lewes Local Plan examination in public (Jan 2015) did NOT include any roundabout proposals, as discussed in the 1990s. That would be very expensive, would have a high landscape impact within the South Downs National Park, and would not help much as the 2011 Lewes Traffic Study, available on www.lewes.gov.uk, shows improvements at Earwig Corner alone would just shift the current problem to one of the other junctions along the A26 east of Lewes. A major problem is the huge increase in new housing in the pipeline for Uckfield, which will greatly increase two-way commuting by car between Brighton/A27 and Uckfield via Lewes.
The most recent plan is just to widen the road south of Earwig Corner by digging out the retaining bank below the houses, and thus create a longer turn-right lane for The B2192. This will reduce evening queues of traffic heading north in the evening. It would do nothing to reduce the morning queues heading from Uckfield and Ringmer into Lewes. There are no plans on the horizon to improve the A26/A27 junction at Southerham, unless some of the 75M available for Lewes-Eastbourne is diverted to this.
Don't hold your breath. The expectation is that new development in Uckfield, Ringmer and Lewes itself is just going to make things steadily worse.
On 7 Feb 2015 at 2:25pm Cooper7 wrote:
I saw an earwig once

On 7 Feb 2015 at 5:07pm Lotus7 wrote:
You have the brainpower of an earwig

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau 2015 Lewes 23:143
Cliffe Tableau 2015 Lewes

Once more onto the beach dear fiends.... Nev, I'm not trying to impress or confuse, just saying what I believe, and what I... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams