Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

EU Election

5
6
On 23 Apr 2014 at 12:49am Confused wrote:
Forthcoming EU MEP elections. I want to vote UKIP to send a message, but don't want to vote for MS Edmunds. Can I vote for another UKIP candidate ? #rockandahardplace
4
2
On 23 Apr 2014 at 1:25am Deelite 2 wrote:
Probably best not to vote.
10
3
On 23 Apr 2014 at 7:22am Ted Crilley wrote:
Did you see Nick Robinson interview Farage about the utter hypocrisy of employing his German wife as his secretary. The hilarity of Farage trying to justify his double standards. I think we have to really think about what UKIP stands for as time and time again their members are found in the dangerous lunatic fringe.
Do as I say not as I do. UKIP are more of the same bit in big horrible spades. Don't vote, it only encourages them.

Check it out here »
9
6
On 23 Apr 2014 at 7:49am Guppy wrote:
I'm voting Green. We need all the help we can get to stop fracking and they had MEPs and their MP campaigning against Balcombe so at least we know where they stand on it. It also sends a message to the main parties.
3
2
On 23 Apr 2014 at 8:52am Mungo wrote:
GUPPY BY NAME GUPPY BY NATURE.
4
10
On 23 Apr 2014 at 9:23am Tom wrote:
Vote U K I P i can nether vote for the green party .
10
2
On 23 Apr 2014 at 9:54am Merlin Milner wrote:
Confused. Not sure what message voting UKIP will send. Their MEPs do very little worthwhile at teh EU parliament. Better to vote for someone who will actually do something constructive during their term of office.
The link below is an example of their pathetic voting at the EU.

Check it out here »
9
1
On 23 Apr 2014 at 10:45am Vote wrote:
You want to Vote for UKIP but understandably don't want to vote for Donna Edmunds, the disturbingly awful UKIP candidate?
But UKIP are endorsing her! They think she is great. UKIP are all about winding people up with negative inaccurate statistics, but have no proper policies that could be achieved. If you don't want their preferred candidate you are left with people of similar calibre . And of course if you want a woman UKIP candidate…good luck with that.There is a reason why UKIP promote so many terrible embarrassing candidates with inconsistent and bizarre views that end up being exposed in every paper from the Daily Mail to the Guardian. Even Nigel Farage has gone on record saying UKIP's last manifesto was complete rubbish. But he won't tell us what his EU expenses are spent on, or why employing his German wife is Ok because 'that is what all the other MP's do' . Vote for someone, but please not UKIP. They only sound OK because the rest are so uninspiring. I am not a Lib Dem voter but can say that at least someone like Merlin (above) is doing his job, not, like another UKIP Councillor who we found was writing letters to David Cameron about gay marriage legislation angering God and causing biblical flooding.
Protest voting is understandable with our current useless parties, but if you vote without checking your candidate properly, be warned, you might actually get someone as appalling as Conservative then UKIP's Donna Edmunds, just like the poor people in Barcombe and Hamsay did.I bet they wish they had been a bit more careful in checking what she actually believed.
Not voting at all just enables other people to choose for you. As Ruth OKeefe recently demonstrated so brilliantly.
2
8
On 23 Apr 2014 at 12:02pm Floating Voter wrote:
Or, taking the converse approach, vote UKIP now, get them all elected into EU Parliament, let them get us out of Europe, and then once we are free of Brussels UKIP becomes a party with no purpose, and will thus disappear into thin air.
"Short term pain = long term gain" and all that.... ;-)
Maybe UKIP are not worth voting for, maybe they do have a few shady characters who are "creative" with their expenses, and maybe their manifesto isn't worth the paper it's written on - but in that sense they're no different to all the other parties!
5
2
On 23 Apr 2014 at 12:05pm Bumpkin wrote:
The problem with these elections are that you are not voting for a candidate in particular, you're voting for the party to fill its spaces.
Ms Edmunds is number 5 on the list so they will need a significant proportion of the vote for her to fill a seat of theirs.
The problem with voting UKIP is that you'd be voting for a party whose members barely attend and will have to wait another 5 years to do anything about it.
Also, just a point....Why vote a party in who's main aim is to be nothing to do with the European Union?
7
2
On 23 Apr 2014 at 12:49pm Reasonable wrote:
Because , floating voter, that is absolutely crazy, just like UKIP and their loony views. If leaving the EU was a good idea for the UK economy and attractive to lots of voters, the other parties would have promoted that years ago. Believe it or not, those of us with businesses, and a quiet disregard for propaganda are the people who know we need to be in the EU, so want our Euro MP's to get off their behinds and promote it better, and improve it, not cream off the expenses for years but leaving it untouched, like Mr (and Fraulein) Farage.
(NB. Donna Edmunds views are not considered crazy by UKIP, because they have chosen to keep her. This tells you volumes about UKIP and the other candidates)
1
 
On 23 Apr 2014 at 1:14pm Metatron wrote:
If our previous elected representatives had served us better then we wouldn't have to consider UKIP as the only option for change.
Even the most ardent supporter of the EU must see that there is so much corruption of power and money that the whole concept of Europe needs root and branch reformation.
9
2
On 23 Apr 2014 at 1:57pm Merlin Milner wrote:
The EU does indeed need reform. However exiting or behaving like over grown school boys whilst in it (like UKIP MEPs) is not going to be helpful.
Also saying that all politicians are the same, corrupt etc. does disservice to the majority of MPs who work very hard, given little or no thanks by the public, are often mis-quoted or their good policies ignored by the press.
Politics needs better people to stand in elections. So all of you out their whingeing about politicians, please engage, stand, join or start a party.
2
3
On 23 Apr 2014 at 2:16pm Confused wrote:
My point being, UKIP is the only party guaranteeing to get us out of Europe. Which I strongly believe we do need to do. Why have a elected Parliament here, when 75% of our legislation is made in Brussels ? Farage takes his allowance, as do all MEP's in every country, and no one has to explain anything !! How's that for madness then ? And I like my Cuecumbers as I like my women, curvy !
7
2
On 23 Apr 2014 at 3:11pm Merlin Milner wrote:
I would be careful with UKIP's statistics on Europe and the myths that they and the Daily Mail churn out. Also just because a piece of legislation is made in Brussels does not make it a bad piece of legislation. Farage takes an allowance and does eff all at the EU apart from being rude and voting against some good legislation.
Most MEPs work together for the betterment of Europe. As long as we are members of the EU, UKIP should do likewise.
If your comments about cucumbers are about EU regs, then the link may be of help.

Check it out here »
5
2
On 23 Apr 2014 at 5:00pm Merlin Milner wrote:
Some Euromyths.

Check it out here »
3
2
On 23 Apr 2014 at 5:29pm PUKE-IP wrote:
I am sure all parties massage figures, but UKIP simply invent misleading rubbish: like all those Roumanians and Bulgarians that UKIP claimed would swamp the country. It didn't happen, because why would it? Why would they want to come and live somewhere with unaffordable housing, and a youth unemployment problem. Plenty of us think that other places are great, but we like where we live, have jobs, family and friends, so we stay where we are, just like anyone else in Europe. Of course if someone tells us they have a great job abroad, we don't all turn on them and tell them they are a scrounging foreigner, we congratulate them and thin they are adventurous and lucky. Farage is just someone who wants political power, and a German to do his political secretarial work, whilst at the same time claiming that foreigners steal British jobs. So he is a hypocrite too. Just as bad as anyone else, if not worse.
6
1
On 23 Apr 2014 at 6:21pm Bendy Vegetable wrote:
If you are going to vote for anyone, base it on the facts, not invented propaganda about cucumbers. Surely you wouldn't be so easily fooled?
I cannot believe that even these days people are so easily manipulated by a man with cash and promises of a British Reich

2
 
On 23 Apr 2014 at 7:53pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Whilst I'm sure many people would like to do as you suggest Merlin and enter politics themselves, the vast majority of people need to spend most of their lives working to pay their bills, increasingly so these days. That's why (Sadly) the vast majority of people who make a career in politics come from wealthy backgrounds as with a ton of cash in the bank to start with, they can afford to put the time into making a decent go of it. Of course people could just join an existing party and support it that way but given the choices there are a lot of people finding it increasingly difficult to identify with any of our main parties with the three traditional big ones being basically exactly the same and the fringe parties being, well, increasingly fringe.

I used to identify with a lot of LibDem politics but then you guys got into power and became Tories. The Labour party turned into the Tories years ago and UKIP are like the Tories only with completely unworkable policies, no real rational sense of identity other than small-minded bigotry and a weird fear of foreigners. The Greens are the party talking the most sense these days, they've just been unfortunate in their candidate selection and ended up having an idiot like Jason Kitkat as their local mouthpiece.

There are I'm sure tens of people across the country who are in politics for totally altruistic reasons and genuinely work hard for their local community but for every one of those, there is a cabinet minister literally stealing money from the taxpayer and getting off scot free, five members of the Bullingdon club lining up tax breaks for the companies they expect to be directors of once they retire as an MP, a handful of lunatics blaming gay marriage for the flooding and suggesting it's ok to discriminate against disabled people, a guy saying how awful it is that foreigners take British jobs and how expensive the EU is then employing a German and claiming millions in expenses from the EU, a guy who thinks it's ok to make all the decisions on his local council on his own behind closed doors who then sells off public land for barely any money to a developer mate of his, promotes his supposedly non-political mistress as a potential candidate for another job to go with the hugely over-paid and largely pointless one she already has and runs a council with a reputation for bullying and intimidation, the opposition party who blame him for everything for years then welcome him with open arms when even his own party realise he's a total liability and jog him on, a woman who is so desperate to not make a decision she actually ends up making terrible decisions by abstaining and a bloated bureaucracy who are apparently completely unaccountable to anyone and never have performance reviews, despite decisions they make being overturned by the first neutral body to come along that actually knows what they're talking about.

I don't think it's surprising that so many people are disenfranchised about politics these days. The public face of politicians of all levels and parties is a bunch of self-serving crooks and idiots, despite those people probably being the minority. With the alternatives being bunch of thieves 1, bunch of thieves 2, bunch of thieves 3 or the bunch of lunatics, why bother voting? Whoever wins, we lose. Better to just concentrate on earning enough to buy food and pay your mortgage each month and try not to get too angry when people who are making a living out of not bothering to go to work are on a documentary, sitting there surrounded by beer, fags and sky tv complaining that the free house they're living in isn't up to their standards and how they shouldn't have to move to a smaller house just because they have two spare rooms and spitting out kid after kid to perpetuate the problem because people who don't work are the only people who can afford to have kids anymore.

If you can fix that lot then I'll vote for you.
7
3
On 23 Apr 2014 at 8:19pm Deelite 2 wrote:
And in way of balance a short post.

If you want us out of the EU you need to vote for UKIP in our national elections as it will be a national decision to leave Europe. For now we are in Europe. As UKIP do virtually nothing in Europe but take the expenses you might as well vote for a party that will at least work there for the British interest. And that is almost anyone *but* UKIP (yes, even the Tories!).
4
 
On 23 Apr 2014 at 9:21pm Border Control wrote:
Politicians are like dirty nappies, and should be changed regularly, for the same reasons.
4
 
On 24 Apr 2014 at 7:43am Bored of local politics wrote:
Merlin, do you support your party putting out leaflets that say only you can beat the Tories? If so, what's the point in you inviting people to stand?
1
1
On 24 Apr 2014 at 8:32am Voter wrote:
Merlin is presuming that all of us who are completely fed up with the incompetence of our local political groups aren't already involved in politics.
6
6
On 24 Apr 2014 at 8:41am Merlin Milner wrote:
OK then what is the point of anything, lets just give up on everything.
Statistically the leaflets may well be correct. However anyone can stand as an independent or be a part of a party.
Ed, I agree with some of what you say. However Lib Dems are not Tories. Nationally they are in a coalition, for good or bad reasons. A coalition is based around compromise.
We live a capitalist society and sadly one that is less socialist. The reduction in socialist policies to me has been the trend in politics for 35 years. This has to be reversed.
4
1
On 24 Apr 2014 at 12:59pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Epic rant, ECD, I was really enjoying it until about halfway down the penultimate paragraph. It went all Daily Mail all of a sudden.
2
4
On 24 Apr 2014 at 7:24pm Rolf wrote:
Mr Milner please, the reduction in socialist policies has to be reversed.
Typical politician, writing something like that on this forum knowing full well that for what ever reason most contributors to the forum are looney lefties, in the hope that they will think, actually Mr Milner and the yellow peril aren't that bad after all they want more socialist policies.
The reason that there are no socialist policies any more is that there aren't any real socialists left. Granted you've got the champagne Guardian reading toynbeesque variety who don't want to hear about people doing quite well on benifits and live in Southover. But remember these aren't real socialists they are people who pretend to everyone that they are in order to come across as better people because Tories are evil and UKIP are nazi's.
My advice to you and all councillors is to take a wide swerve when it comes to this forum, it isn't representative of the town and the nasty ignorant ( as demonstrated so superbly by Ed Can Do ) contributors,will just hang you out to dry in the hope that the paper might pick up on it.
1
 
On 24 Apr 2014 at 9:36pm Deelite 2 wrote:
You're wrong. This forum is not full of lefties. You are utilising easy characterisation, a device of the lazy minded and unsubtle.
3
3
On 25 Apr 2014 at 9:40am Merlin Milner wrote:
Mr Rolf. I am merely a Town Councillor and not a typical politician. You obviously know absolutely nothing about me. For example I think that the utilities should be re-nationalised. Stop the outsourcing to Serco and G4S as it is a false economy. Address the huge property prices in the South East. Build more social housing. More investment in science and environmental solutions. Some of my own thoughts, not sure which party they fit with.
Perhaps Mr Rolf you should reveal who you are?
4
 
On 25 Apr 2014 at 9:51am Guppy wrote:
Another non-Green who talks like a Green. It's good to see sensible Green policies becoming mainstream.
1
1
On 25 Apr 2014 at 3:27pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Merlin, you sound like an ideal supporter of the now dysfunctional Labour Party. Idealistic but impractical ideas.
3
1
On 25 Apr 2014 at 3:54pm Deelite 2 wrote:
Or the Greens...... time for a swap Merlin? :-)
 
3
On 25 Apr 2014 at 4:08pm Clifford wrote:
Merlin Milner wrote: '... the majority of MPs who work very hard, given little or no thanks by the public, are often mis-quoted or their good policies ignored by the press.'

We PAY them, so why should they expect 'thanks'? They're so bloody ignorant they were led through the nose to vote us into the illegal Iraq war. And what 'good policies' do MPs have? Parties have policies - MPs just go through the voting lobby as their Whips instruct them. Are you in the political trade union by any chance?
2
 
On 25 Apr 2014 at 4:37pm Merlin Milner wrote:
Of course we pay them. Some do a good service and a bit of thanks might encourage others, perhaps better people, to become MPs. The current negativity is doing no good to politics. Granted much is self inflicted. However a read of the collective manifestos and spending a bit of time looking at what has been achieved might reveal some positive changes / policies.
For example the reduction in time it takes to adopt a child, higher tax threshold for those on lower incomes etc., etc.
The press are seldom interested in good news and have to keep their 24 hour newsrooms working.
As for the illegal war in Iraq, only the Lib Dems and Greens were against I believe. Perhaps they could do with your input and support???
2
 
On 25 Apr 2014 at 4:40pm Merlin Milner wrote:
BYW Clifford I am a Director of a electronics manufacturing company and a Lewes Town Councillor.
4
 
On 26 Apr 2014 at 8:26am Deelite 2 wrote:
Actually Mr Rolf, the majority of the UK population are in favour of renationalising the energy companies and the railways (see YouGov poll link below). Using your mean little world outlook this makes 66% of the UK Socialists.

Check it out here »


2 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Keere Street Lewes 49:132
Keere Street Lewes

Possibly calling them may have answered your question … more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine