Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

EDF had enough

On 6 Jan 2012 at 7:29pm bastian wrote:
anyone else at their wits end..perhaps you went so far as to change supplier, if you did, who to?
they have sacked their metre readers, you now amend the bill they send by reading the metre yourself and it is impossible to pay via intanet banking because the numbers don't fit the banks strict boxes and they don't answer the phone when you have a question.
EDF, had enough.
who are you with?

On 6 Jan 2012 at 7:34pm Clifford wrote:
Ebico. They all rip us off but change regularly and you can keep them on their toes.

On 6 Jan 2012 at 9:09pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Scottish & Southern.
At least they answer the phone.

On 6 Jan 2012 at 9:13pm Southover Queen wrote:
I'm with the Utility Warehouse which has been fine so far. I get phone, internet, gas and electricity from them and I've found them pretty good to deal with. They answer the phone quickly in an office somewhere in London and they seem pretty responsive when there's a problem. So far so good.

I really wish I could say the same thing about bloody Southern Water whom I loathe and detest but of course there's no bloody choice about that, is there? Who's idea was that to privatise water monopolies, eh? Oh yes, I remember.

On 7 Jan 2012 at 8:36am The Boy Bernie wrote:
Scottish & Southern here too. No problems so far.

On 7 Jan 2012 at 8:48am DFL wrote:
Dual Fuel with ScottishPower, service is OK, and you have to read the meters, but that's easy enough. Check out website below if you want to change to another supplier.
As for Southern Water, not had any problems with them, what's yourv beef with them SQ ?

Check it out here »

On 7 Jan 2012 at 10:36am Southover Queen wrote:
They were an absolute nightmare when I was doing a big renovation. Suffice it to say that they took a total of £3000 from me in applications for works they could not carry out or would not allow to proceed all of which I got back once I'd involved consumer groups. You can't talk to anyone about proposed works: if you phone them you just get an operator repeating the mantra "download and complete the form". Even once you've done that and sent nearly £1000 "application fee" you still can't discuss what you're doing, and in my particular case it eventually became clear that our application would never have succeeded. Short of hiring your own very expensive consultant type person, there's absolutely no way of discovering their criteria. It was only by complaining to the Consumer Council for Water that I was given a named contact there who did sort things out.

Even though I did eventually get the money back (helped by the Consumer Council for Water), they'd delayed my project by about three months at a cost of several thousand pounds. They behave exactly as you'd expect a monopoly to behave: they've set their rates as high as the regulator will allow knowing that the end user has absolutely no choice of supplier and cannot vote with their feet. I think it's scandalous.

On 7 Jan 2012 at 11:47am Peasant wrote:
North of Lewes we have to pay South East Water to deliver water to our taps and also pay Southern Water to take the effluent away. Of the two (both owned by foreign institutions with no interest in Sussex except extracting the maximum take), the one I have had less grief with is Southern Water.
Quite what the point is of having two different companies and two different bills to pay escapes me.

On 7 Jan 2012 at 12:04pm Southover Queen wrote:
Me too, Peasant. A friend of mine in Newhaven had the same issue, and her bills were really high in comparison to unitary ones.

I think my problems with Southern were to do with the fact that I was undertaking a lot of building work. Once you've got a water supply in the right place and at the right pressure you wouldn't have much to do with them, I'd guess. However it's worth bearing in mind if you do have to involve them in renovations, as there are all sorts of rules and regulations (quite rightly) about working with water and it means you have absolutely no choice except to pay their outrageous charges. Forewarned is forearmed!

On 7 Jan 2012 at 12:36pm Rookie wrote:
I changed to British Gas for gas and electricity last year as they were offering a good deal at the time. They seem ok and reading ones own meters is not a problem for me. I will definitely shop around again when the deal runs out though.......just like i do for everything.

On 7 Jan 2012 at 3:25pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
A friend of mine had an endless saga when had renovations done. The stopcock in the road had to be changed as it was incompatible with modern plumbing. They kept kept messing about, missing appointments and so on and on at least one occasion declined to do the work ordered as there was nothing wrong with the old stopcock. And you're right about it being much dearer where there are two water co's, SQ.
I'm with nPower, dual fuel, online billing and apart from trying to take more money than they ought to from us every year I haven't had any problems with them.
They're all robbers though. I'd like my own well, wind and solar power, and to heat my house with solid fuel, then I could dispense with them entirely.

On 7 Jan 2012 at 3:52pm SHS wrote:
"I'd like my own well, wind and solar power, and to heat my house with solid fuel, then I could dispense with them entirely.".
Good plan ACT, all us workers are being held to ransom in this country. But with solid fuel fires and a few home-made candles maybe you could get by without any gas or electricity....

On 7 Jan 2012 at 4:38pm bastian wrote:
thank you all for responding so helpfully..i think I will usher in the new year with a change to scottish and southern..I don't object to reading my own metre as neither of us are in when they call but they insist because they don't believe we use so little power then send letters berrating us for being out ( whilst leaving no calling card to say they were ever here).
all the best to you all. this is the perfect example of how well this forum can work when twerps don't get in the way.

On 7 Jan 2012 at 7:05pm middleclassandabitsmug wrote:
EDF do seem particularly administratively incompetent. I left them over a year ago and they still send me bills and requests for meter readings. I wrote to tell them but I've stopped bothering now.

On 8 Jan 2012 at 3:23pm Observer wrote:
I was interested SQ in your letter about The Utility Warehouse, I am with British Gas for my gas and electric and with TalkTalk for phone and broadband. How is the broadband working out and in your opinion are the phone calls and broadband reasonable.

On 8 Jan 2012 at 3:58pm Southover Queen wrote:
The answer is yes to both, Observer. I get free phone calls to all landlines at all times as well as free calls to several major overseas destinations (including Australia and most of Europe). Broadband: I pay for 8mb/s and get nearly 11mb/s and apart from a couple of days last months when the signal kept dropping out it's been perfect for the last 18 months.
I chose the uncapped service because I use iPlayer and 4OD quite often and also upload quite a bit to the websites I maintain. I pay £23 per month for the line, internet connection and landline calls. Occasionally, if I have to call a non-geographical line (ie 0844) I'll have an extra couple of quid to pay on top, but it's always very reasonable.
You can get cheaper deals, particularly if you're happy to accept slower speeds and a capped service. However I take four services from them as a bundle which saves me quite a bit, so it works for me.

I've put up a link to the broadband speed tester; they also have a useful way of checking what deals there are locally in the drop down list on the right of the page.

Check it out here »

On 8 Jan 2012 at 5:09pm observer wrote:
Thanks for that SQ. I shall certainly look into it. I was very impressed with the Broadband speed tester, mine came out at just over 2MBs. No wonder it takes for ever to download. Thanks.

On 8 Jan 2012 at 5:24pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Mine came out at 13mbs. We're with Talk Talk and in Cliffe area if that helps, Observer.

On 9 Jan 2012 at 10:23am Cliffite wrote:
yeah damn racists, no time for them. Oh EDF not EDL

On 9 Jan 2012 at 4:11pm observer wrote:
Whats this about racists Cliffite.?????

On 20 Jan 2012 at 3:12am Headedugabela wrote:
Hey Guys,

I've been lurking around here for some time now and I decided to register because I really need your help
I heard alot abot Profit Assassin and I was wondering if any of you knows more about it (I cant find too much info on google about it).

Thanks

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Lewes Crest 128:143
The Lewes Crest

Examining the activity of the sun and assessing its influence on the earth's climate may well provide entertainment to some Tom... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington