Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Draining

On 2 Mar 2016 at 4:47pm All Blocked Up wrote:
Hello
The drain pipe that runs under my drive is blocked. Please can anyone recommend someone who can clear it?
Thanks.

On 2 Mar 2016 at 4:59pm Old Plumber wrote:
I can recommend BG Drains 01424 212707. Have used them many times.
On 2 Mar 2016 at 6:47pm Bustblocker wrote:
Save yourself a fortune. Get a set of £20 drain rods from amazon and do it yourself.

On 2 Mar 2016 at 7:36pm Bert wrote:
Blockbusters ?????? Or buy a pressure washer and stick it down the pipe
On 2 Mar 2016 at 8:50pm Celine wrote:
SF Drainage in Landport have always been great for sorting out our blocked drains.

On 5 Mar 2016 at 8:16am All Blocked Up wrote:
Thanks for the replies - may buy myself some rods.

On 5 Mar 2016 at 11:41pm edtheplumber wrote:

Depends on where you live. In town the pipes may lead to mains sewers, but in Nevill (front) and Landport (back)- and possibly Malling (don't know) they go to soakaways.
I have looked at about 8 "soakaways" in the Neville and they were a length of (ceramic) pipe that lead 2-3 meters from the house (downpipe.) With no soak-away.
You may have a blocked soakaway, rather than a blocked pipe. And your "soakaway" may not exist (if your in the Nevill) so rods may not do much good.
If their is a "trap" at the drain it leads to sewer but if the pipework just heads away from the house you are looking at a big bill- depending on driveway surface, exposed areas...
So, if the drain that is blocked is running downhill,
1. check the trap, if it is blocked then - JOB DONE!
2. if it has no trap, then you probably have a "soakaway". In lewes, most "soakaways" are just 3 meters of pipe. So rodding compacts organic matter in the pipework and makes matters worse.
The options are to install a proper soakaway, or dump the rainwater onto the street.
ed

On 29 Mar 2016 at 7:43pm All Blockec Up wrote:
You were right ed, it is a soakaway.
Sean from SF Drainage in Landport just cleared it out for me, great friendly service and highly recommended.

On 13 Sep 2016 at 9:44am Luke Cruz wrote:
Itís great to know that there are plenty of reliable plumbers in the Birmingham area. My husband usually does the drain clearing in our house. There was even a time that he replaced the rod himself! I was pretty impressed.

Check it out here »

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Impending Sheep 45:132
Impending Sheep

The idea, of course, is that the influx of skilled migrants from Asia will displace lazy Brits from their comfortable white... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
There are no ordinary moments
Dan