Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Downland sell off

On 18 Nov 2016 at 10:48am Tom Pain wrote:
I went to the protest in Eastbourne, being there at the time, and there weren't many people there. When Eastbourne takes over from Lewes Council how many people would go that far to protest when they sell off our Downs? The further away authority sits the less we can influence it. Eastbourne, Lewes and next Hailsham? Uckfield? All in the name of saving money. Trans Manche next, with or without Brexit ,do you remember that little dream? We wunt be druv ? Led by the nose more like.
On 18 Nov 2016 at 12:02pm The people wrote:
Do we know when Eastbourne takes over. I wonder when staff are to be informed. Guess the Council structures will also be up for review..
On 18 Nov 2016 at 1:21pm resident of Seaford wrote:
Quite agree Tom Pain - don't think many in Seaford are aware that the east of Seaford Head is under threat...
On 18 Nov 2016 at 4:39pm Fairmeadow wrote:
I don't doubt that they would if they could, but they can't because Lewes DC don't own any to sell. The "49 sites" fiasco was the Lewes equivalent sell off of public land.
It does seem to have all gone rather quiet in Lewes. Is anything happening, or has everyone gone home? Amongst the myriad silly ideas in the "49 sites" list there were a small number of perfectly sensible sites on which it would be possible to build affordable housing, should the council be so minded.
On 18 Nov 2016 at 4:49pm Wotcha wrote:
Isn't the Eastbourne proposal simply a plan to offer the land for sale to the farmers who currently farm it? There's no suggestion of a change of use or a change in the public access arrangements.
On 18 Nov 2016 at 8:12pm @Wotcha wrote:
Yes, completely. No need for a council to own this land any more as access and control can be maintained by other means. Leave the council to run those essential services.
On 19 Nov 2016 at 10:25am Tom Pain wrote:
The land was supposed to be owned by the council in perpetuity in the deal. It doesn't exactly encourage people to donate land for philanthropic ideals if they know that a few years down the line it will be flogged of in some sweetheart deal does it? There could be a change of use appeal in the future,could there not?

On 21 Nov 2016 at 6:58am Fever pitch wrote:
In all honesty Eastbourne Council are pretty good. They have turned Eastbourne around into a lovely town and I have no doubt they can do the same to Lewes too.

On 5 Dec 2016 at 11:24am Kay Warner wrote:
Tom Paine, you are absolutely right. However, it's not the tenant farmers who get the first opportunity to bid for the land, it's the wealthy landowners that owned the majority of the downland that Eastbourne Corporation fought a five-year battle to buy. The purchase required an Act of Parliament and the downland was finally bought in October 1929.

On 5 Dec 2016 at 11:25am Kay Warner wrote:
There is more information on the Keep Our Downlands Public facebook page.

Check it out here »

On 7 Dec 2016 at 9:48pm Tom Pain wrote:
Thank you Kay,Iv'e signed the petition.I'm getting one of those beautiful posters too!

26 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Torchlit 126:132
Torchlit

90% of the adult population have had 1 vaccine already in the UK, with around 82% double dosed. It would come as no surprise that... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy