Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Dorset pub

On 29 Sep 2012 at 7:12pm lovely lady wrote:
New chef at the dorset pub ..wow food excellent and really nice and plenty of it also new menu's ...chef comes to ask if food is ok
i also believe they are staying open on a sunday night now so give the pub a go and i am sure you will enjoy it
On 29 Sep 2012 at 8:06pm Dog lover wrote:
Do they allow dogs in the pub ?! If not it is the Snowdrop or JHT for us who welcome dogs !!
On 29 Sep 2012 at 8:14pm lovely lady wrote:
last night they had dogs in the snugg area of the pub so i would say yes
On 29 Sep 2012 at 8:26pm maggiemoo wrote:
lovely lady..... do u wk there ???? had meal last sun .... AWFUL !!friends will not be back !! bad service ! food 2 roast spuds no yorkys,, had run out cauli cheese served after meal eaten .... inedible ! worst pub oast ever, also puddings v bad !!
On 29 Sep 2012 at 8:32pm Kettle wrote:
I had a rotten experience there a couple of years ago. Don't know if it's changed but staff were very rude.

On 29 Sep 2012 at 8:52pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
We had a good lunch there a few weeks ago. OH said his moules mariniere were among the best he'd had, and it was a huge portion
On 29 Sep 2012 at 8:53pm jo wrote:
dogs it a pub not dog show keep dogs out of pups
On 29 Sep 2012 at 9:15pm Sussex Jim wrote:
I have not tried the Dorset; but I hate it when eating and probably having a conversation with a fellow diner a member of staff comes over and asks "is everything all right?" As bad as being told to "enjoy my food" when it is served.
Does anyone else find this irritating?

On 29 Sep 2012 at 9:22pm Rookie wrote:
I went for lunch at the Crown Carvery in Peacehaven last week. £3.99 all you can eat, and it was all excellent. A little understaffed but that doesn't matter too much when its serve yourself.
On 29 Sep 2012 at 11:28pm Mme B wrote:
Sussex Jim - I agree. They generally wait till you are deep in conversation and don't want to be interrupted, or when you've got your mouth full and can't answer. I also hate the order "Enjoy". Is there a proper answer to that, such as "I'll try!"? I also get cross when they say "Not a problem" when you've given your order. It shouldn't be a problem; they are a restaurant and you have ordered from their menu. Oh dear, what a crotchety person I am.
In fairness, I have heard that the staff have to ask you if everything is OK quite early on, as customers have been known to eat most of their dinner and then say there is something wrong with it and demand something else.
On 29 Sep 2012 at 11:57pm Local wrote:
Hmm. £3.99 for all you can eat. Not going to be good quality food for that, is it? Or not for long, anyway...
On 30 Sep 2012 at 7:04am Rookie wrote:
I can't vouch for the future obviously, but it was excellent on the day I went. Choice of 4 meats, the Turkey was very good. Choice of 7 vegetables of which I had about 5. Again all excellent. The other 3 members of my table had slightly different meals but could not fault them.
The Withdean Sportsman is also a Crown Carvery. We are trying that tonight......
On 30 Sep 2012 at 7:25am Dog lover wrote:
Jo I assume you meant keep dogs out of pubs ..... err no .... you stick to the ones that do not allow dogs ad we shall enjoy the ones that do !!
On 30 Sep 2012 at 8:57am king cnut wrote:
I think a new chef was installed last week at the Dorset.

On 30 Sep 2012 at 9:15am Sussex Jim wrote:
I can vouch for the Crown carvery at Peacehaven. The food is good quality. If you order a glass of water to drink, that's two meals for £8.
Try and avoid it around 1 p.m. when there tends to be a queue.
On 30 Sep 2012 at 11:13am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I stopped going to the Dorset because they didn't allow dogs. We often go for a pub lunch when out walking and we have the dogs with us and it's damn annoying when pub that was previously dog-friendly changes their policy and we have to go hungry.
Prior to its refurbishment, the Dorset was very dog friendly. On one occasion, they cooked a sausage for each of the 4 dogs we had with us and refused any payment.
On 30 Sep 2012 at 11:46am Ban em wrote:
I get sick and tired of walking into pubs and it's full of dogs (no not Lincolns, i mean the 4 legged variety) The same goes for kids too.
I've generally found that people who take their dogs to pubs are a bit up themselves. They love the attention and the "oh look at me, ive got a dog" attitude.
I've also found that a majority of people who take their dogs to pubs let them run riot and seem to think that it's great fun for them to start sniffing your crotch or slobbering over your dinner.
Dogs should not be allowed in any establishment that serves food, END OF.
So next time you want to go to a boozer on a sunday afternoon, take your little darlings for walkies then take them home and let me enjoy my pint and dinner without getting covered in dog hair and slobber.
Dog owners like the ones above are really down there with cyclists when it comes to the civilisation scale.
Oh, and im a dog owner that doesn't take his dog or kids to the pub.
Rant over

On 30 Sep 2012 at 12:00pm Rookie wrote:
ban em....You would love the Downs Hotel at Woodingdean. I went in there for a breakfast a few weeks ago. The owner has 2 greyhounds wandering around. Good food at at a very reasonable price but I don't like dogs sniffing my food. Never again for me.
On 30 Sep 2012 at 12:05pm grafter wrote:
What's so bad about cyclists? Really,all of them?
On 30 Sep 2012 at 1:47pm Ban em wrote:
That's a different thread altogether grafter. It'll be called "tw@ts who think they're above the law and have a god given right to do what they want"
And yes, all of em !!!

On 30 Sep 2012 at 3:10pm jrsussex wrote:
How many of those complaining on this thread voiced their complaint at the venue when the dis-satisfaction was caused? Any good proprietor relies on customer to tell him if the product ot service is not up to standard, how else would he know? Complaining after the event to all and sundry is really stupid, it does nothing to improve matters.
Local has a very good point, £3.90 for all you can eat will not, generally speaking give good food and service. As with all things in life you get what you pay for. Which is much of the problem with dining out, many customers want to eat as cheaply as possible but expect fine dining standards.

On 30 Sep 2012 at 7:22pm Dog lover wrote:
So what pubs do you visit (ban em) as shall make sure I visit with all my dogs whilst you are there.
On 30 Sep 2012 at 7:26pm ban em. wrote:
I rest my case. Please read the bit about being "attention seeking tw@ts"
On 30 Sep 2012 at 7:48pm Dog lover wrote:
Of course and why not - when you seek and purchase an expensive pedigree, train them so that they are so obedient, why not treat them to a visit to the pub with their responsible owners where they have lots of attention too - it is great. I so hope we get to sit next to you next time - hope you can drink your pint quickly :-))

On 30 Sep 2012 at 7:50pm Clifford wrote:
Sussex Jim and Mme B - I thought I was the only one. Do they go on a course or something?
On 30 Sep 2012 at 7:51pm Southover Queen wrote:
I don't have a dog, but this thread makes me want to go out and borrow several and follow "ban em" round the estimable drinking venues of Lewes and environs.

On 30 Sep 2012 at 8:00pm Sussex Jim wrote:
I agree with jrsussex- complain to your supplier, not bore the pants off others. But Local should try a cheap carvery- most are quite good .
I hate places that give you a reasonable meal, but then charge above pub prices for mediocre drinks ( and massive mark-ups on wine); and then add 10% service charge; and then expect a tip left.
Remember, YOU are the customer.

On 30 Sep 2012 at 8:16pm Kettle wrote:
Us dog lovers spend a lot of money in pubs, so I'm sure publicans want us to keep coming.
What do you think the dog will do to your food? Have a poop in it?
You seem full of hate, ban em. I feel sorry for your poor dog. If you really have one.
Do tell us which pubs you go to.
On 30 Sep 2012 at 8:21pm Lopster wrote:
Have started a specific thread on pub clientele re dogs in pubs...
On 1 Oct 2012 at 1:20am Local wrote:
Sussex Jim - I should NOT try a cheap carvery! Intensively mass-produced meat, deep-fried roast potatoes and all the other rubbish that's been sat under heat-lamps for hours after having been reheated from the day before, being served up to cheap-skates with all the style of a school dining hall queue. No thank you!

On 1 Oct 2012 at 9:32am Rookie wrote:
Withdean Sportsman carvery yesterday. Much the same as Peacehaven. Choice of 4 meats, all looked very nice indeed. 8 veg on offer and all very fresh. Yorkshires and sausages too. £7.99 on a Sunday though. Couldn't fault it. Recommended

On 1 Oct 2012 at 1:23pm mike wrote:
I have taken over the runnung of the Dorset on a temporary basis yes dogs are ballowed in the pub I am trying to bring back the pub atmosphere and also do homemade food wherever possible we are also using local products where possible meat now comes from holmansbridge farm barcombe
On 1 Oct 2012 at 2:58pm Barquentine wrote:
You ballow dogs in your pub ? Well you're not ballowing mine. If I want my dog ballowed I'll do it myself.

On 1 Oct 2012 at 5:12pm pub watch wrote:

Grafter said; "What's so bad about cyclists? Really,all of them?"
Yes, all of them. I say serve a cyclist on a plate to your dog in the pub :-)

On 2 Oct 2012 at 4:40pm Chillie 123 wrote:
Well said Mike. I am often in the Dorset because it is not as "clicky" as some of the pubs in Lewes.

On 3 Oct 2012 at 1:50pm biggles' brother boggles wrote:
Look on Harveys web site and you will see they are actively searching for a new tenant for the Dorset. Hear the rooms are shabby now.

On 3 Oct 2012 at 3:06pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Good for you Mike.
Dogs in pubs are part and parcel of country life and Lewes is a rural town, despite the best efforts of certain sections of the community to turn it into Little-Hampstead-in-the-Downs.
Even the poncey Griffin at Fletching lets dogs in, or did last time I took mine in there. (Had to re-read that sentence - it originally read "last time I went there", which may have been open to misiterpretation)

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Anne of Cleves House 3:132
Anne of Cleves House

Talk about misappropriation! The Rockefeller report that TP referenced is available for all to read. It envisages future... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like it when people find lost stuff on the forum
Jim