Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Dog Warning

On 1 Nov 2013 at 5:25pm Dog Owner wrote:
If you have a small dog (or any type) look out for a couple with 3 boxer/staffy type (hard to tell as it was getting dark) dogs on the Malling field. I was just walking my dog on a lead and it got attacked quite badly by these dogs who were off their leads. Luckily mine was on the lead so i was quick enough to kick them off but if i hadn't been close they would've done a lot of damage. My dogs collar came off in the attack and ran off so i didn't get chance to speak to the owners. I get why people own different breeds of dog but why the hell have them off the lead if they're that way inclined. It is just unbelievable how selfish and irresponsible some dog owners can be.

On 1 Nov 2013 at 7:11pm lewes born and bred wrote:
Every day, i come into contact with dog owners who think their pets are on a pedestal way above the human race. it amaizes me to think that people are capable of putting dogs above humans but i see it every day. I totally despair at some of the complete scum dog owners who think they have the right to do what they want with their dog.
Rant over....oh, and im a dog owner myself.
On 1 Nov 2013 at 7:16pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
It might be an idea to report it to the dog warden on Monday. There might have been previous incidents.

On 1 Nov 2013 at 9:14pm Dog Owner wrote:
I didn't realise there was a dog warden so thanks ACT, I'll certain follow up with them on Monday because that cannot happen, it's absolutely disgusting and I'm kicking myself now for not going back after them.
On 1 Nov 2013 at 9:23pm fifi wrote:
Ring the dog warden on 01273 471600 , part of Lewes District Council .
On 1 Nov 2013 at 9:24pm fifi wrote:
Ring the dog warden on 01273 471600 , part of Lewes District Council .
On 1 Nov 2013 at 10:05pm Malling resident wrote:
If it is the same dogs then they live on the malling estate and are allowed to run free down the old railway line, I'm very wary of walking along there now as a friend of mine was walking down there once and the dogs had a go at him, the owners just don't care!!!!
On 1 Nov 2013 at 10:31pm Bongo wrote:
Dog owners who let their dogs run around in an aggressive state should have that animal removed from them and be forced to attend dog control/training classes. If they reach an acceptable standard of animal control, they can have the animal back on licence. Job done!
They definitely need reporting to the Animal Wardens at LDC.

On 1 Nov 2013 at 10:36pm Appalled wrote:
Sadly, a cat who lived in Castle Ditch Lane was savaged by an unleashed dog at 1am whilst the owner stood by. I don't know the full circumstances, but the cat used to frequently come into the Rights of Man pub and was well known by all of us.
The cat's owner is distraught and apparently witnessed the end of the event. The owner of the dog was drunk. The cat is dead.
So....dogs do as dogs do. But what kind of owner walks down Castle Ditch Lane with a dog off the lead at that time in the morning?
I don't want the dog put down, but I want it's owner prosecuted as they are clearly unfit to own any animal Ffs.

On 1 Nov 2013 at 10:37pm Appalled wrote:
This was a week ago btw. We called the black and white cat Hops in the pub. Some of us cried when we heard.
On 1 Nov 2013 at 11:00pm Dog Owner wrote:
Someone reading this forum probably knows these owners/dogs - you should do the right thing. If I come across these dogs again it won't be so nice for them the second time.
On 2 Nov 2013 at 12:10am Cat man wrote:
I hate f***ing dogs and I love cats. I'll be waiting. Bring the little C**ts on.
On 2 Nov 2013 at 12:40am Come and have a go if wrote:
I hate f***ing cats and I love dogs. I'll be waiting. Bring the little C**ts on.

On 2 Nov 2013 at 8:45am madge wrote:
Name, shame and report dog owners for...not picking up poo...allowing aggressive dogs off leash...letting any dogs roam...suspected animal neglect...
Responsible dog owners have nothing to fear from this policy and those who are simply ignorant may just need guidance.
Irresponsible dog owners who at the moment dont seem to care will have to change or pay!
On 2 Nov 2013 at 9:46am Malling Dog Owner wrote:
Is anyone willing to give a description of the owners? My medium sized dog has also been attacked by dogs on Malling field (1 staffy and 1 boxer x staffy).

On 2 Nov 2013 at 10:10am Dog Owner wrote:
The guy was probably in his 50/60s, short/medium height, large frame, the woman was younger, slim/average build. One of the dogs (the worst one) was all brown, I think another was black & white, I can't remember what the third looked like. My neighbour has come across them too and said they were vicious. What infuriates me is that the woman acted like the brown one was going to be trouble because she said "oh" and tried to grab it as we approached. To be fair, the guy was telling me to kick his dog whilst it was happening - but why should I have to?! Imagine what they'd do to a small child. Always the same breeds.

On 2 Nov 2013 at 10:13am Don't let's be breedist wrote:
Staffies have a bad rep, but they are lovely dogs, very eager to please. It the owner is a prat they will try to please a prat.

On 2 Nov 2013 at 11:28am Malling Dog Owner wrote:
Yes, that's the same dogs although they didn't have the third one with them then.
On 2 Nov 2013 at 12:29pm Bongo wrote:
I'd have a Staffie in a heartbeat! Lovely friendly dogs, with an extremely happy nature.
It's just such a shame that they are the dog of choice for brainless numpty chavvies, who clearly don't have a clue about the breed or how to handle them. No wonder so many Staffies end up in dog rescue centres.
On 2 Nov 2013 at 2:59pm Rocky wrote:
Staffie's are great dogs. They have a bed rep because of the way some people choose to raise them as fighting dogs due to their stance and sheer muscle, not to mention that they lock their jaws also. Staffies are used as fashion accessoires to make weak men look tough in the majority of cases. Just like pugs (or other small dogs) are by fashion obsessed women. Its not the dogs fault, its the way they have been treated or raised that makes dogs aggressive regardless of the breed.
On 2 Nov 2013 at 3:29pm Madge wrote:
Someone must know who these owners are, they sound terrible.
Lets hope they will be exposed and they can be properly reported to the dog warden before another innocent animal gets injured. I for one do not want to meet them with my dog or children and its unfair to be unjustifiably wary of every owner of a boxer or boxer staff x.

On 2 Nov 2013 at 3:42pm Country Boy wrote:
Yep - its the owners all right and not the dogs. Take the woman who regularly runs down Plumpton Lane, back to traffic wearing headphones with her dog 20 metres ahead and off a lead. Cars regularly have to stop to avoid hitting one or both of them.

On 2 Nov 2013 at 5:23pm Another Dog Owner wrote:
I know of a lady that owns both brown and black/white staffie type dogs who lives on Malling. She often walks her dogs with a man who owns a pair of bearded collies. Both are nice people but I am extremely wary whenever we meet with our dogs because of previous incidents. In fact I actively try to avoid them as they are all very assertive animals and in a pack situation (such as this) no owner of such dogs will be able control their behaviour off of the leash. Off course, keeping these dogs on leads would be the obvious solution but I guess that they are like many other dog owners and they just like to give the dogs some 'freedom'. I believe that they do choose their walk locations and timings carefully as they are aware the 'problems' that their dogs have (most do to one degree or another of course). I am not justifying there behaviour you must understand, merely mentioning what I have witnessed. As I was not there to witness the OP's incident it would be wrong to name names or point fingers on a forum such as this as it may not even have been the owners that I know but should the OP wish to identify and pursue the owners then at least you have an area in which to roam (without dog but maybe with a friend) to identify (or discount) these animals as the offending dogs. Dog ownership can be a very tricky business and I have had to apologise to other owners as often as they have apologised to me and I do my VERY BEST to be a good owner. Perfect I am not though!

On 2 Nov 2013 at 5:31pm lewes born and bred wrote:
It doesn't matter if they're nice people or choose their walks carefully, they need reporting to the local authority before someone gets hurt.
I don't care if they are the most considerate dog owners on the planet, THEIR DOGS NEED TO BE UNDER CONTROL AT ALL TIMES.
End of conversation

On 2 Nov 2013 at 5:43pm Dog Owner wrote:
My son (who was with me at the time, and actually quite upset by it) thinks he's seen the man in the fishing tackle shop on Cliffe High Street. There is a brown boxer type dog in there too but it seems old and docile so I'm not sure if it could be the people who run it? Don't want to point fingers either but someone on here could probably rule that out for me? You're quite right lbab, they should be under control and the path from the foot bridge to Tesco's is not a carefully considered place to walk vicious dogs off their leads.

On 2 Nov 2013 at 6:00pm Dog Owner wrote:
ADO, I appreciate you don't want to give out names in case it isn't her but it might be worth mentioning to her. I will be reporting it on Monday and I'll also be looking out for her/him as I live very close to where it happened.

On 2 Nov 2013 at 7:35pm madge wrote:
We dont want this to turn into an unfair witch hunt as we all know that some dogs have issues and quirks that are often misunderstood by other owners. We are none of us perfect owners, even the most friendly pooches can be annoying if their owner has no control and your own dog is not keen to interact.
It would be a good idea for the dog warden to assess the dogs in question and advise the owners accordingly asap rather than wait until someones dog is injured or worse before this is properly addressed.

On 2 Nov 2013 at 7:49pm Making Dog Owner wrote:
I feel very strongly that anyone who has witnessed any incidents with these dogs must report it to the Dog Warden. I will certainly be contacting them on Monday and the more information they collect the better.

On 3 Nov 2013 at 8:50am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I agree about staffies, they are lovely dogs but sometimes seem to be in the hands of people who, frankly, shouldn't be allowed to own a goldfish.
Any dog can have a moment when it behaves totally out of character, but it sounds like these people have no idea how to manage their dogs' aggression.

On 3 Nov 2013 at 2:03pm Greg wrote:
Dog Owner, you need to be very careful about the statements you make, referring to shops in Lewes and the people who frequent them, just to let you know the dogs in the Fishing Tackle shop are the tamest dogs I have come across. I think its unfair on the shop and the owner for you to make a statement referring to the possibility of it being them with no supporting evidence, or commenting on the people who may or may not use the shop.
I am by no means having a go at you, but as I know the owner of the shop in question, I think he would be very upset to read this.

On 3 Nov 2013 at 4:19pm Dog Owner wrote:
Greg, as I stated in my post I'm certainly not pointing the finger and wouldn't want to - I just wondered if someone could rule it out, which you have done thanks.

On 3 Nov 2013 at 5:38pm wrote:
XX

On 3 Nov 2013 at 5:50pm Tin tin wrote:
My son of 11 years has just started taking our small pooch out for walks as we live very close to the field. It's been a bit of freedom and independence for him. Not any more ..!!! Please if anyone knows anything do something about it for everyone's sakes. :-(

On 3 Nov 2013 at 6:13pm James Herriot wrote:
All they need is a muzzle and they can do what they want

On 4 Nov 2013 at 1:02pm Appalled wrote:
There seems to have been another incident yesterday. Read the thread "ROMs Cat". Is this the same dog? If so it would appear to be only a matter of time before a tragedy occurs.

On 8 Nov 2013 at 4:14pm Malling Dog Owner wrote:
Did anyone get in touch with the animal warden?

1 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

waterloo badge 128:132
waterloo badge

Invading armies are famous for "interbreeding" as you so delicately put it. I'm sure there's plenty of Norman dna as well. Please... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare