Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Disabled Car Parking Badges

1
 
On 25 Jun 2007 at 9:25pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
The abuse that occurs with disabled car parking badges defies logic. Social Services appear to issue the badges willy nilly to virtually anybody claiming the slightest ailment (bad back, obese etc). In turn the badges are used to abuse the car parking system ? offenders can frequently be seen parking on double yellow lines, at road junctions and in pay and display car parks as they are generally provided with the cream of car parking and are exempt from paying.
The number of disabled badges went up by a phenomenal amount when Brighton introduced NCP to its streets ? the figure went from something like 2,000 badges to 10,000 badges in a matter of weeks. I wonder what the figures are for Lewes?
 
 
On 25 Jun 2007 at 10:09pm For The Record wrote:
Good point but please add mobility scooters to your list of offenders.
Last week I saw two mobility scooters convieniently dumped in the middle of the pavement whilst their drivers were inside the Fisher Street Council Offices. The drivers were oblivious to the fact they their careless parking had obstructed the footpath and were forcing pedestrians to walk in the carriageway.
 
1
On 26 Jun 2007 at 7:36pm council bod wrote:
You are so right Spinster Of This Parish there is to much abuse of the blue badge the laws are changing soon ncp will be able to scan them soon .They already have the power to ask you to turn the badge over and if you refuse the police will come to your home and check out the badge the fine is 1000 i think .still if you want one they can be brought on the net for about 200 andcan be brought in some pubs!
 
 
On 26 Jun 2007 at 8:29pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Council Bod,
I take it that you work for NCP?
 
 
On 27 Jun 2007 at 7:51am council bod wrote:
no Spinster Of This Parish i don't but i do work for an interested party
 
 
On 27 Jun 2007 at 8:11pm For The Record wrote:
It's all very well that NCP have the power to enforce this type of abuse, but it appears that NCP choose not to use it (possibly preying on easier targets instead).
 
 
On 28 Jun 2007 at 9:07am madge wrote:
It is unfair to judge everyone with a blue badge. Many people have health problems that mean they have to pace themselves to cope with daily pain in order to simple tasks like shopping that others can take for granted. They get the cream spots in car parks so they can attempt to walk around a shop without using all their energy reserves just getting there. They need extra space to enable them to struggle in and out of their vehicle. No doubt many people who previously coped with their disabilities have been forced to apply for a blue badge. This is due to the restrictions enforced by the new parking regulations that prevent them from getting anywhere near shops etc without help or without the use of a wheelchair. Im not saying a few people do not abuse this system as with any other system but please dont judge people who APPEAR to be able bodied when you have no idea of what pain they may have to endure. One day it could be you or one of your loved ones who genuinely need a blue badge and then you will understand what a difference it makes to people who struggle with the simple things in life. Far worse are those without any health problems but choose to park in disabled bays without a permit because they are too damn idle to walk!
 
 
On 28 Jun 2007 at 9:37am madge wrote:
A blue badge can be used in any vehicle carrying the disabled person they do not have to be the driver. The idea is to get the permit holder as close as possible to there destination to reduce their discomfort. This means the driver can be parked waiting for a disabled person to emerge from a building so I dont know how they will prove any abuse by just looking at the photo on the permit. Providing the permit has been lagitimately issued I'm not sure how they will stop those who do abuse the system and unfairly 'borrow' these permits from disabled friends or relatives for their own use.
Unfortunately as I said previously there will always be selfish people who abuse the system but most are genuine, just because a persons disability is not obvious it does not mean they do not suffer so dont be too judgemental about what you think you see.
 
 
On 28 Jun 2007 at 2:36pm JBTYW wrote:
Too right!
 
 
On 28 Jun 2007 at 10:35pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
I still believe that
- The majority of badges are issued without competant checks upon the validity of the applicants medical condition (medical records are not checked and those issuing the badges are not medically qualified to interpret any medical information that they may have access to).
- Blue badges are issued for alleged medical conditions that do not affect ones mobility (eg mental disability).
- If the "disabled" person is driving the car - are they fit to drive a powerful vehicle? For example, arthritic knees/hips/ankles/back may affect ones ability to use foot controls safely - how many cars have you seen on the road that are adapted with hand controls?
- If someone's relexes are not 100% (due to stiffness, pain or loss of function) why would one choose to drive a vehicle more powerful (and potentially more lethal) than the average vehicle on the road (eg 4x4's)?
- If prime car parking spaces are provided, and the "disabled" person has been assessed as having sufficient neural and muscular ability to drive an unadapted vehicle, why do they need to park illegally?
With so many jumping (albeit with their "disabilities") onto the disabled band wagon, I'm left wondering if the only disabled thing about these abusers are their personalities!
 
 
On 28 Jun 2007 at 11:20pm Madge wrote:
Are you thick or what? Because a person cannot walk far without experiencing severe pain does not mean they are not capable of driving. Ordinary automatic vehicles and power stearing alone make life easier for everyone as do vehicles higher off the ground than standard cars. Who the hell do you think you are to pass judgement on those people, you are not a doctor and have no idea what procedures the majority of people have to go through in order to aquire a blue badge. The majority of people do not want to have to resort to relying on a badge to get some compassion from able bodied people and would do anything to be able to walk from A to B without a struggle. The last thing they need is ignorant idiots like you making blanket statements about something you clearly know nothing about you moron.
 
 
On 28 Jun 2007 at 11:53pm JBTYW wrote:
There is no need for anyone to justify themselves to someone like The Spinster. Just hope that one day she will experience first hand the lack of independance and low morale a disability, illness or even a terminal disease bestows on some unfortunate souls. Maybe she will then realise how grateful she should be for her own perfect and fully functioning body and be ashamed of her comments and lack of compassion today. In the meantime I hope disabled badge owners continue to irritate the miserable selfish cretin.
 
 
On 29 Jun 2007 at 1:44pm Madge wrote:
So Spinster - do you have a car? If you do what excatly do you use it for?
 
 
On 30 Jun 2007 at 8:27pm cage rattler wrote:
I think Madge and JBTYW are missing the point. The point is some people abuse the system and as the system does not make adequate checks it can only continue. Noone would wish a truly disabled person an unsupported life. Could Madge and JBTYW possibly be a cretin or a moron for not properly reading the post that the spinster of the parish put on????
 
 
On 30 Jun 2007 at 9:09pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Cage Rattler,
What a relief that you have been able to read and comprehend the post (I was beginning to wonder if some forum users just enjoy jumping without looking!!!).
Madge & JBTYW,
Your venomous and hexing comments are unnecessary...be careful as they may backfire on you!
 
 
On 30 Jun 2007 at 9:47pm Madge wrote:
I read exactly what she said thankyou. For a start she clearly indicated that certain problems were minor ailments. Arthritus and cancer of the spine, plus weight gain from steroid treatment for these 'minor' ailments may not be obvious like missing limbs but they are extremely painful and debilitating. These people do have to have medical assessments and GP confirmation before they can obtain a badge and as with everything in life there will always be borderline cases and no one has the right to judge these peoples suffering on face value. For one day out many have to spend three recovering in private. It is unfair for people to assume anything about disabled badge holders who certainly do not have to justify or explain there disability to anyone else. I find the fact that able bodied people without a badge park in disabled bays and illegally elsewhere without consideration for anybody a far more serious problem, they have absolutely no excuse, they are just mean and selfish.
 
 
On 30 Jun 2007 at 10:20pm Madge wrote:
Could you please read your own posts again Spinster...you use phrases like - 'majority of badge holders', 'alleged disability', 'slightest ailment'. You question disabled peoples right to even drive with imperfect bodies, and accuse them of parking illegally on double yellow lines when they are legally allowed to. You have no conception of the difficulties faced by carers transporting people with mental illnesses and whine about them getting the 'cream' of spaces and maybe not always having to pay to park. Sorry but with the best will in the world those are not the comments of someone who does not begrudge disabled people a supported life as you put it Cage Rattler, It is the post of a very uncaring member of the community who has no idea of the difficulties some people privately face in life.
 
 
On 30 Jun 2007 at 10:30pm Madge wrote:
On 30/06/2007 Madge wrote:
I read exactly what she said thankyou. For a start she clearly indicated that certain problems were minor ailments. Arthritus and cancer of the spine, plus weight gain from steroid treatment for these 'minor' ailments may not be obvious like missing limbs but they are extremely painful and debilitating. These people do have to have medical assessments and GP confirmation before they can obtain a badge and as with everything in life there will always be borderline cases and no one has the right to judge these peoples suffering on face value. For one day out many have to spend three recovering in private. It is unfair for people to assume anything about disabled badge holders who certainly do not have to justify or explain there disability to anyone else. I find the fact that able bodied people without a badge park in disabled bays and illegally elsewhere without consideration for anybody a far more serious problem, they have absolutely no excuse, they are just mean and selfish.
 
 
On 1 Jul 2007 at 4:35pm JBTYW wrote:
Spinsters comment "Your venomous and hexing comments are unnecessary...be careful as they may backfire on you!" What a cheek! Dont you think airing your unfounded assumptions of blue badge holders were not hurtful and venomous. As Madge pointed out there are border line cases in all matters where people need help in life. In my work I have seen many people suffering and struggling with a terminal illness to the end without a blue badge because their daily pain is not obvious and they fear that people will judge them. Spinster should be ashamed and learn to keep her heartless thoughts and comments to herself if she does not want to offend. It is her who should be careful as her lack of compassion may backfire on her one day!
 
 
On 1 Jul 2007 at 10:57pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
One of the points of a debate is to question and raise alternative ideas - it can also be used to expose discrepancies in the system which allow certain persons to abuse the system and create animosity with a particular group (in this case the disabled). As stated earlier, the figures for disability increased in Brighton by a colossal percentage when the NCP system was introduced.
I am one of those people who dislike complacency in life, preferring to enquire about things so that I may make informed decisions. Maybe I have hit a nerve with you two, but I am entitled to my comments, just as much as you are,
 
 
On 2 Jul 2007 at 8:25am Madge wrote:
As stipulated before if you bothered to consider logical explanations instead of victimising people less fortunate than yourself you may see things differently. it might occur to you that the reason more people with dissablities have had to apply for blue badges is because the parking restrictions have made it impossible for them to function independantly without some help. This is the reason the figures have increased.
Yes you have hit a nerve because I have loved ones who depend on this system in order to enjoy the luxury of walking around a shop rather than relying on a wheelchair. For that day they may look capable but for that half an hour of NORMAlITY they use all their energy resources knowing they will spend the following few days suffering and immobile behind closed doors, trapped in there homes. All I can say is spend a day in their shoes before you critisize anyone with a blue badge because you have no idea why they have been allocated one, I for one would never presume anything. You are wrong about the way the badges are allocated, people do have to endure rigourous assessments.
You just do not understand that what you think you see is not the whole picture for these people. Be grateful if you and yours never need this help and dont to be so shallow in your opinion of others.
Why does it bother you so, are you really jealous of the priviledges bestowed on these people so they can attempt to do what we can all take for granted and need liitle effort to acheive.
 
 
On 2 Jul 2007 at 6:33pm madge wrote:
The following was posted in response to cage rattlers post earlier on this thread but for some reason it shows on the list but does not appear on screen with the rest of the thread!?:-
I read exactly what she said thankyou. For a start she clearly indicated that certain problems were minor ailments. Arthritus and cancer of the spine, plus weight gain from steroid treatment for these 'minor' ailments may not be obvious like missing limbs but they are extremely painful and debilitating. These people do have to have medical assessments and GP confirmation before they can obtain a badge and as with everything in life there will always be borderline cases and no one has the right to judge these peoples suffering on face value. For one day out many have to spend three recovering in private. It is unfair for people to assume anything about disabled badge holders who certainly do not have to justify or explain there disability to anyone else. I find the fact that able bodied people without a badge park in disabled bays and illegally elsewhere without consideration for anybody a far more serious problem, they have absolutely no excuse, they are just mean and selfish.
 
 
On 3 Jul 2007 at 6:51pm oh- be -joyful wrote:
i agree with you in full Madge but i am afraid we will always have the selfish motorists that take a chance hopefully the boys and girls in blue will catch them.
 
 
On 30 Jul 2007 at 11:25pm Andrew wrote:
As a disabled driver of a large MPV which has a hoist for my mobility scooter, i find that the abuse of the blue badge is rampant in my local town of Manchester . When i can find a disabled parking spot i find people who come along park their car on goes a blue badge, out come all the family (no iam not racist in any form ) and off they go, not one of them looks disabled .This has happend to people who park their range rover, so its not just working class or colour, i belive that where there is disabled parking they should be camera's so if some one is faking it it will be recorded and checked on (as this will be done by DWP) I have to fight to what i get which isnt much as my wife works full time and my family help me around, as i can not do paid work i help in my community doing voluntary work as a District Advisor in special needs for scouting and if i see abuse i WILL report it, but unfortunaly due to abuse of the system many people feel aggreved as they see new car every few years and they go out to work and get sod all.
If you suspect abuse then please report it I do only then can the people who deserve it get it and those people who should not get it dont,


13 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

The Pells 121:132
The Pells

This story has hit a nerve with me. I'm switching my allegiance from the greedy Premier league and going to watch the Rooks from... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Believe you can or believe you can't... Either way you're right
Paul