Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Digital switchover

On 30 May 2012 at 6:37am Cliffe Hanger wrote:
Has anyone using the relay transmitters managed to get a digital signal yet? Got up all excited this morning, hoping at long last for a decent picture. By 6:00 am, the first part of the deal had gone through - I had lost BBC2 analogue. But my telly is not picking up any digital channels. So either my aerial is not up to scratch, or they have not actually turned on the digital channels yet. According to the website below, Lewes VP and HP are "expected to switch" mid afternoon, so I guess there is hope yet! Would be good if someone out there could let me know when and if they get a digitial signal.

Check it out here »

On 30 May 2012 at 8:06am Pope wrote:
Same problem mate. Got up all excited and ended up with a jigsaw picture. Let's hope it gets better as the day goes on.

On 30 May 2012 at 8:20am vipalb wrote:
I am in Winterbourne getting signal from County Hall transmiteer and also have situation as above. Hoping the 'mid afternoon' switch over goes ok.

On 30 May 2012 at 9:17am Rookie wrote:
My aerial points at Heathfield. I noticed that I was getting the four main channels in HD format the other day, albeit showing a test signal. I guess they start in earnest today too.

On 30 May 2012 at 9:32am Cliffe Hanger wrote:
Glad to know I am not alone! Looking at the site I linked to in my first post, I notice that those that were due to switch at 6:00 am are now listed as "complete". Lewes VP and HP still say mid-afternoon, while Newhaven, which is where my aerial seems to point, is due to switch mid-morning.

On 30 May 2012 at 9:36am Rooks fan wrote:
Thanks for the link. Was worried it was my TV or aerial too. For all the warning we had about the date, nobody ever explained what the process on the day would be. Shame the switchover for the ITV channels doesn't happen before the start of the Euros so will have a lousy picture for England's first match. But maybe that's a blessing...

On 30 May 2012 at 9:45am Penguin wrote:
I live in Nevill and for some reason my local news on both BBC and ITV has changed over to London rather than South East. This happened a few days ago. Whilst an absence of Kaddy Lee-Preston is a welcome relief, I would quite like to have my local news back. I have also noticed an increasing number of 'London types' living in my road and I have on several occasions found myself using rhyming slang and humming Tommy Steel songs. Is this all part of the digital switchover, or is something more sinister going on?

On 30 May 2012 at 9:56am Harry wrote:
Penguin, anti Kaddy mesages are not welcome. I miss her. Better some character and originality than the rather bland blondes. Or Michael Fish. Although he's probably your favorite.

On 30 May 2012 at 11:34am Penguin wrote:
Well Harry, whilst I may agree with your point about bland blondes and Michael Fish, I think you are possibly confusing the qualities of 'character and originality' with 'dappy and bint'. There has only ever been one weatherman with true character and originality, and that is of course the mighty Ian McCaskill!

On 30 May 2012 at 11:59am Southover Queen wrote:
I don't have anything useful to say on the subject of Freeview (this is a happy Freesat house) but I am vastly amused by the local weathergirls who seem to be in some kind of competition to wear the highest possible heels combined with peculiar clothing which often looks like a partially wrapped Egyptian mummy.

On 30 May 2012 at 1:06pm CLOWSIE wrote:
My aerial is pointing to County Hall and I've just managed to re-tune both my tellies so get all the BBC channels, ITV1 and Channel 4. I thought we would get all the other channels at this point but it seems that won't happen until the 13th June - bleedin confusing.

On 30 May 2012 at 2:33pm Cliffite wrote:
I miss Nazaneed Ghaffar

On 30 May 2012 at 2:33pm Cliffite wrote:
I miss Nazaneen Ghaffar

On 30 May 2012 at 3:23pm Pope wrote:
Success, I live near Mill road in Lewes and have just got back from shopping ( 3pm ) and tried free view and can now get 22 channels. Not bad considering I only used to get 3. Also I am only using a terrestrial arial.

On 30 May 2012 at 3:28pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
Good news Pope, and others who have succeeded in re-tuning. Hopefully all will be joy when I get home from work in a couple of hours :-).

On 30 May 2012 at 5:01pm Clifford wrote:
Cliffite - agreed.

On 30 May 2012 at 5:43pm Cliffite wrote:
I've got no idea how my house is wired up, I use a Freesat box but the feed comes out the RF wall socket with an adapter. Think I'll just stick with that although the digital Freeview signal is better than Freesat with satellite compression affecting colours. But then, it's only telly, not that important

On 30 May 2012 at 5:57pm Southover Queen wrote:
Cliffite: I'm surprised you think Freesat is poorer quality than Freeview. I'm genuinely delighted with the quality of the pictures - plus of course the four main channels all have HD parallels. I wonder if your hardware might be at fault? I switched one of my setups from a cheapo Freesat box to a Humax and I've been genuinely impressed with the improved quality. I've certainly never seen poor quality colours - the impression I get is that there is less compression via satellite than via Freeview.

On 30 May 2012 at 6:56pm winterbourne wrote:
Have tuned in my free view but can't get ITV or channel 4
My neighbors who have tuned in their TV have the same result.
Has anyone else managed to get all 4 channels? Or is it just us that are having a problem could it be because we are in a dip?

On 30 May 2012 at 9:23pm parkstable wrote:
winterbourne, only the BBC MUX got moved over today, so you will only get the BBC Channels (one to four, news, parliament and childrens), plus radio and red button on freeview. However you should get ITV and CH4 on analogue still. On 13th June they will turn off all analogue and then you should re-tune again and you will get ITV and Channel 4 (plus others) on digital.
Depending on where your aerial points will depend on which other channels you get. I am told that the Newhaven transmitter (which we use) will only get 2 of the 4 MUX's repeated, so we will only get half the freeview channels, but still better than the 3 fuzzy channels we used to get. considering I could barely get analogue where I live, I managed to get all the BBC digital channels perfectly today - very happy.

On 30 May 2012 at 11:43pm Rooks fan wrote:
Winterbourne, it'll depend on your television, but it's possible that on your channel line up, ITV and C4 will turn up, as analogue channels, after you've had to scroll through all the new BBC ones including radio stations. At least that's what happened on mine. Instead of following after BBC1 and BBC2 as before. Until the whole thing switches over on the 13th when it will all change again. As parkstable said, if you got ITV and C4 before, you should still be able to get them, though I do think the picture quality has dropped on them for me, unless it's just in comparison to the brand spanking new BBC ones, so perhaps the signal is weaker for them now.

On 31 May 2012 at 2:59pm Viewer wrote:
Parkstable - thankyou for the words of wisdom. Got quite annoyed when all we could get was the Beeb yesterday. Good picture though.

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

roboqueen 102:132
roboqueen

They're everywhere, popping up like mushrooms but much uglier. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If you lend someone £20 and don't see them again it was probably worth it.
Dan