Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Despair at LewesForum

On 31 Oct 2016 at 2:21pm Cicerowasatrueorator wrote:
I am truly despairing at the descent of this forum into sad &, frankly, pathetic lampoon of what it should be.
It has simply being hijacked by invective filled, bitter spirited individuals, whose sole aim appears to be either to belittle anyone else who dares to use 'their' graffiti board; to shout ever louder how they are 'true' Lewisians (though i suspect many aren't) and hellfire to the rest; to make physical threats (obviously cowering behind the anonymity this board provides) at others; or to simply obfuscate the whole Forum with fake/troll posts, which satisfies their small minds & hearts with a brief supernova of activity in their nucleus accumbens, before their brains settle down to whatever opium of life they crave to fill the long, empty, sad hours.
I for one are fed up with rabble rousing about class distinction (who really cares?); venting of private spleen against businesses & individuals who likely will not realise & therefore have no come back; petty 'they did it. No they did it arguments' about anything (especially Bonfire), and pathetic maliciousness.
Why, for pities sake, can the Forum not begin to get moderated, with proper registration to actually make it reasonably functional once again? Some may call it Censorship, but i don't believe it would be. Bigoted outbursts at the majority of posts is a form of driving people away from engagement, and that is a true form of censorship!
On 31 Oct 2016 at 2:37pm Local wrote:
I couldn't agree more. What could be a useful & interesting resource keeps getting trashed. Looking for a moderator?
On 31 Oct 2016 at 2:56pm You caught a fish wrote:
@Cicerowasatrueorator meanwhile your post adds so much?
On 31 Oct 2016 at 3:04pm anonymouse wrote:
Nice of you to remain anonymous behind your big, bold keyboard, Cicerowasatrueorator
On 31 Oct 2016 at 3:04pm Agree wrote:
Need some control as comments generally not acceptable to decent people. When some posts or topics of interest put up no one seems to be that positive. Agree that many people posting are ignorant and would not give their comments face to face. Maybe this forum has had its day.
On 31 Oct 2016 at 3:05pm goodbye wrote:
Rarely check forum these days. Perhaps we could start an alternative?
On 31 Oct 2016 at 3:09pm @Goodbye wrote:
Please feel free, I will troll that too
On 31 Oct 2016 at 3:30pm cicerowasatrueorator wrote:
@ '@goodbye' & anonymouse: Quod erat demonstarandum.
I rest my case m'lud....
Very sad!
On 31 Oct 2016 at 3:59pm @cicerowasatrueorator wrote:
And like I said, your post adds so much...
So much hatred, more than the trolls show on an average day for certain.
Why should your comments be taken seriously, after you've shown you're capable of much more vitriol than the average troll?
This entire section serves no purpose (apart from to deride) in your post and could easily have been left out:
"It has simply being hijacked by invective filled, bitter spirited individuals, whose sole aim appears to be either to belittle anyone else who dares to use 'their' graffiti board; to shout ever louder how they are 'true' Lewisians (though i suspect many aren't) and hellfire to the rest; to make physical threats (obviously cowering behind the anonymity this board provides) at others; or to simply obfuscate the whole Forum with fake/troll posts, which satisfies their small minds & hearts with a brief supernova of activity in their nucleus accumbens, before their brains settle down to whatever opium of life they crave to fill the long, empty, sad hours.
I for one are fed up with rabble rousing about class distinction (who really cares?); venting of private spleen against businesses & individuals who likely will not realise & therefore have no come back; petty 'they did it. No they did it arguments' about anything (especially Bonfire), and pathetic maliciousness."
On 31 Oct 2016 at 4:13pm Tasty Tracy wrote:
This is like a good game show, I don't know who to believe here, who is genuine and who is playing charades with us!
On 31 Oct 2016 at 4:49pm Cheesey peas wrote:
I like it,an anarchic jacuzzi break from pc Lewes,just what we all need.
On 31 Oct 2016 at 4:52pm Under the Bridge wrote:
It's funny though.
On 31 Oct 2016 at 5:27pm Cicerowasatrueorator wrote:
The bizarre response of @cicero..... Does rather amuse me too! Really have no idea what it is saying. "So much hatred"?? I don't believe their is a hateful word or sentiment in my post. Just a wearied resignation that LF has been ruined & rendered worthless by a small number of persons. Vitriolic? Yes! Openly admit that clearly I have made caustic criticisms.
But that's the difference that is lost on the sad few: Well-constructed argument that is not offensive or threatening but thought provoking, and can lead to re-evaluation. Exactly what Cicero was a master at in the original Forum. He is said to have never lost his temper in public, never to have sworn, never to have openly insulted anyone, yet rarely lost an argument and whose (clever) barbs drew more blood than any of the like that continually appear here.....

On 31 Oct 2016 at 5:48pm Karen wrote:
Most people on here would not dare say the same things to actual people face to face. They are safe behind their keyboards. Sad
On 31 Oct 2016 at 5:53pm Jeff wrote:
I really enjoy this forum, the only thing that mars it for me are the odd whiners who keep coming on here to complain about it, I just don't get it, if you don't like it so much do something else.
Surely you have other things you could do with your time.
On 31 Oct 2016 at 6:27pm Earl of Lewesss wrote:
I think the forum works best when it's about local issues. It doesn't work as well when people use it as a platform to espouse their political views, or as a cheap advertising tool. The long, unreadable, cut and paste posts about someone's views about Brexit - for or against - are very dull, as are the generally witless attempts to troll. The anonymity certainly makes for a lively forum, but this forum is reaching a point where the number of posts by bored schoolchildren (I'm assuming they are, judging by the dodgy grammar and obvious jokes) is making it unworkable. Perhaps moderators are the answer.

On 1 Nov 2016 at 5:55pm Pedro wrote:
@ J Hussain. Is trolling that enjoyable? Serious question.

On 2 Nov 2016 at 6:44am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think people who come on a forum to whinge about the forum are, at best, a bit sad.
No-one's forcing anyone to read stuff on here, so if it makes you angry or "despair", stop visiting.
I also think a fair few posts are lampoonery rather than "trolling" and that some people just don't get it. I'll happily admit that the first couple of posts from the marvellous "Jennifer" had me fooled, but I really enjoy them now.

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Bottleneck House 13:132
Bottleneck House

Masks are now compulsory in classrooms. My son is off isolating again after being in close contact. The fuss is about lost... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell