Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Design & Build Builder Wanted

On 25 Mar 2014 at 5:18am Genuine wrote:
Can anyone recommend a building firm with good design and build credentials? Got planning permission for a large extension so now trying to get the work done...
On 25 Mar 2014 at 10:25am tom wrote:
If you've got planning permission already then the design is already done.... right?
So why do you need a 'Design & Build Builder' ? Surely you just now need a builder? Just asking! :-)
On 25 Mar 2014 at 7:51pm Genuine wrote:
TVM = ta very much!
Good question - the Planning is the overall design - size of room, layout, finishes, window positions etc.
Next stage is the actual design - the layout/depth of drains, size of foundations, weathering details, insulation thickness, services, kitchen layouts etc. These go in the plans to be approved by Building Control who will check the work complies with current Regulations etc at the start and during site visits.
So that's what a design and build builder does. The other option is to get an Architect or a Building Surveyor to do the design and then get builders to slavishly follow the plans.
We just want three boxes building with the external finished and water tight. Not too fussed how it's done as long as it satisfies the Planning and Building Regs so letting the builder design it can keep costs down. I'll then do the internal finishes, second fix plumbing and electrics and fit out kitchen and utility room.
On 26 Mar 2014 at 5:08pm tom wrote:
OK, i've always had an architect do the building regs drawings. Then the builders tries his best to follow it.
I don't know of any builders that offer both design and build service that you describe.
If they do, I suspect a builder would just outsource it to an architect themselves and take a cut!
Good luck.
On 26 Mar 2014 at 5:52pm Deelite 2 wrote:
You need a structural engineer. He takes the architects drawings and creates drawings that include the details you are talking about. He cacukates the size of the foundations, the beams, the wall structure et etc. He then sumbits the drawings to LDC Building Control who'll give a price for checking the work on site. You can also use a private building inspector if you want.
Then you (or more usually your architect) need to draw up a specification of works and submit this, the architects drawings and the structural drawings along with an invitation to tender letter to a number of recommended building companies. When they've sumittted their tenders you choose one.
This is how it usually works.
On 26 Mar 2014 at 7:42pm No vested interest wrote:
Graham Tilbury. Best builder I've ever used. It was a substantial project and he and his team were marvellous.
On 26 Mar 2014 at 10:55pm Local wrote:
Very good, Graham. Thanks.

30 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool



Harveys Brewery 40:132
Harveys Brewery

Possibly calling them may have answered your question more
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell