Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Depot a new 3 screen cinema for Lewes

On 16 May 2017 at 6:03pm Dave wrote:
Really looking forward to the new 'state of the art' 3 screen cinema.
Quite possibly the best thing to happen to Lewes in years.
Only a few days to go now.

On 16 May 2017 at 6:11pm Blatant Liar wrote:
They're not going to show the blockbusters until everyone has downloaded them from the net.
Good move
On 16 May 2017 at 6:16pm dairyman wrote:
Anyone know what films are being shown? I realise not the blockbusters, but the website doesn't seem to give the info. Hopefully not too much eastern European silent movies about lentil knitting.
On 16 May 2017 at 6:18pm Honestly wrote:
So what Liar? I'm certainly not bothered about waiting a few weeks to see whatever the next Star Wars or Pirates film is! If you are so worried you can still go to Brighton.
On 16 May 2017 at 6:25pm Dave wrote:
I hear the new website is going live tomorrow so we should be able to find out what's on then hopefully webbo will put the films on here too
On 16 May 2017 at 6:47pm Fatso wrote:
Does it have a car park?
On 16 May 2017 at 6:56pm Jeff wrote:
It's pretty much surrounded by car parks
On 16 May 2017 at 6:56pm Flange wrote:
It's going to be DFL Central
Im avoiding it like the plague, no dought ya Lib undems will be down there in their droves .
On 16 May 2017 at 6:59pm Movie wrote:
I'm going to give it a try, if it's rubbish then I won't go back but I hope they do well.
On 16 May 2017 at 7:20pm Feline wrote:
Good wishes to them. I hope it all goes well, although I hope they are staying aware of noise regarding their neighbours ( not me by the way!).
On 16 May 2017 at 9:18pm Get it Depo(r)ted wrote:
Feels like the kind of place that will love doing a Ken Loach season and provides a free copy of the Guardian for anyone that buys a pinot noir before the performance.
On 17 May 2017 at 3:41am So wot wrote:
You say that like it would be a bad thing.
On 17 May 2017 at 7:39am And thats a fact wrote:
Better than sweet FA, give some of the whingers & keyboard clowns on here a reason to take fingers orf the keyboard for a while and get out and broaden their narrow minds. And thats a fact
On 17 May 2017 at 10:42am Pedro wrote:
I'm excited about the new cinema. Think its a great project for Lewes, and should also help trade throughout the town. I don't mind if the cinema has a mixture of modern hollywood films, classics, or more niche kinds and foreign language films. Variety is a good thing. It would be only depressing if the 3 screens were dominated just with Marvel superhero sequel films that seem to reflect todays output.
On 17 May 2017 at 11:15am MC2 wrote:
I can't wait. have you seen the building? It looks really cool.

A little bit of info: The sound system for the main screen has thirty six speakers and uses Dolby Atmos. This is serious stuff, probably the most up to date sound system outside of London. It's 3D sound. A sound can be generated at *any* point in the auditorium. Modern films are going to sound incredible. There's one called Machines scheduled to run for three days which should show the system to its full potential as it was recorded with the Dolby Atmos system.

In response to the guy stating it won't show block busters. It will, but possibly not as soon as they come out as they are so expensive then. However, you can't download anything but 'screeners' until they are out on DVD so you'll still be able to see them well before you can download them.

If you go to the tourist office you can pick up a program and see which films are going to be shown. Not one of them is about lentils, but there are a huge variety of them. In fact it looks great.
On 17 May 2017 at 11:37am Wow! wrote:
I hope they'll schedule some music films. I'd certainly go there and Pink Floyd's Meddle again.
On 17 May 2017 at 12:03pm Dolls wrote:
You can see the program on their instagram!
On 17 May 2017 at 1:09pm Ed Can Do wrote:
I think they missed a trick by not putting in 4DX, there's no point in having th emost up to date sound system outside of London if the seats don't move and spray water in your face.
On 17 May 2017 at 1:09pm Helen wrote:
The Handmaiden on the second day of opening. Lesbian eroticism.
On 17 May 2017 at 1:55pm Webbo wrote:
Here's the first page of their flyer

On 17 May 2017 at 1:56pm Webbo wrote:
And here's the second

On 17 May 2017 at 2:31pm A Person wrote:
I love the plank who thinks it's smart to download blockbuster illegally, when of course it's depriving the people who make his films of the means to make more.

For what it's worth, if the policy to show a variety of intelligent films from a variety of genres keeps the planks away, then frankly that sounds like the best of possible results. Mouth breathers not wanted...
On 17 May 2017 at 3:06pm Huh? wrote:
I think I must be confused or is the Depot showing 12 different films a day?

On 17 May 2017 at 3:25pm Clifford wrote:
MC2 wrote: 'A sound can be generated at *any* point in the auditorium.'

I'm not really up to date with technological language so can you tell me the difference between any point and *any* point?
On 17 May 2017 at 4:01pm webbo wrote:
@Huh!
Well they've got 3 screens and 4 time slots each day so it's quite possble for them to show 12 films in one day if they want to.

I'm guessing as its the launch weekend they are showing as much as they can but I'd be surprised it its 12 films a day from then on.
On 17 May 2017 at 4:11pm Maria Cauliflower wrote:
I`m really looking forward to" My Life as a Courgette".
On 17 May 2017 at 5:47pm webbo wrote:
The new website up and running, you can get your launch weekend tickets there now.
Fantastic!

Check it out here »
On 17 May 2017 at 6:22pm MC wrote:
Hi Clifford,

You weren't up to date when we used to cross swords 5 years ago so I guess nothing has changed! Do you still spout that particularly old fashioned brand of left wing politics too?

Anyway, to bring you up to date....

'*Any* point' in this context refers to 3D sound which can be generated anywhere in the 3D spectrum, i.e left, right, near far, up down. On the other hand 'Any' refers solely to 2D sound... which is pretty much the same but minus the up down spectrum.

Got it now?
On 17 May 2017 at 7:25pm DFL paradise wrote:
The food menu is hilarious. It's almost as if it's been written by an expert DFL trollster from the Lewes Forum.
On 17 May 2017 at 8:22pm Proper Lewes wrote:
You can always get a plate of bangers n mash at the Volly before strolling over to catch the latest Iranian Palme d'Or winner DFL paradise. I expect there will be rejoicing on the Forum when the Crown gets turned into a Wetherspoons and all the bona fide Lewesians can get tanked up on Kronenbourg while watching Champions League on the big screen. Takes all sorts, eh?
On 17 May 2017 at 9:41pm Pedr0s twin wrote:
I was planing to go but Pepper Pig and Beauty and the Beast are just too highbrow for me.

6 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

It Takes Balls to be a Phoenix 47:132
It Takes Balls to be a Phoenix

QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine