Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Depot Film Choices

On 9 Aug 2018 at 4:17pm Cinema goer wrote:
The depot has been running a good while now. Whilst it shows the odd Hollywood blockbuster, it appears to have a very narrow set of movies that almost exclusively applies to middle class, middle aged women and homosexuals. For example:

Celebrating diversity through the eyes of a person from a (insert one or more of the following minority groups here: Black, gay, disabled, female, vegan, Muslim, transgender) person has to overcome some form of prejudice in the local community, and in doing so demonstrates to said local community that their presence adds to the vibrancy of the town. The film ends in a celebration amongst the townsfolk.
Some documentary about single use plastic.
Some kind of singalong ABBA thing.

Isnít it time we saw some Romero zombie fest and horror flicks? Old westerns? Or the odd cult road movie?
On 9 Aug 2018 at 4:26pm Hiya wrote:
I think the ABBA thing was a nationwide blockbuster, not just a little lewes thing.
Most if not all of the new release Hollywood movies are shown there.
There's also been some old school classics like the Sci-fi arc showing alien, the Martian and space oddesy so not all jazz hands fringe group pleasing stuff.
Not sure what your beef is to be honest.
On 9 Aug 2018 at 4:51pm Did you miss wrote:
All the old spaghetti westerns they had on a while back?
On 9 Aug 2018 at 4:51pm Randy wrote:
Some old school sex comedy would go down well. "Confessions of a window cleaner", "Confessions from a holiday camp" etc.
On 9 Aug 2018 at 5:34pm Jan wrote:
Would love to sea the sound of music on their would be grate
On 9 Aug 2018 at 5:43pm Agreed wrote:
Youíre right there does seem to be a high proportion of films aimed at the beard scratchers, and the male ones too. The kind of films people donít actually enjoy, they only enjoy telling people theyíve seen it for some kind of imagined intellectual point score.
On 9 Aug 2018 at 5:58pm Inthegutter wrote:
Despite its size the Depot has a great range of films and does show many blockbusters. Unlike other cinemas though it has things like the Sci-screen series which showed Alien, 2001 etc. alongside short talks (shorter than the adverts at a normal cinema).
On 9 Aug 2018 at 6:44pm Toenail wrote:
I agree with cinema goer, I find the range of films disappointing and rather narrow. Itís either blockbusters (not an issue with that it brings in the cash) or films aimed at middle class woman in their late 60ís. (Presume the demographic of whoever books the films)
I appreciate you canít keep everyone happy and when the net is cast slightly wider eg the recent sci-fi and Vietnam series Iím still disappointed with very predictable films.
Constructively rather than just moaning canít we have music movies that test out the first class sound system eg Rust never sleeps, last waltz etc.
How about the depot suggests a couple of movies and people vote which one they want to see?
Itís a great cinema and I would love to use it more.
On 9 Aug 2018 at 7:04pm Mavis wrote:
I expect these postings will disappear the same as the one did about the new menus and chef etc. Don't bite the hand that's feeds you etc.
On 9 Aug 2018 at 7:14pm Money Talks wrote:
The Depot was a great idea in principle, but has been very disappointing in reality. Several of my (Lewes) friends made suggestions to the Depot for movies that would appeal to the local market, only for the management to dismiss the requests in favour of attracting the DFL's and the people of Brighton.
On 9 Aug 2018 at 7:20pm Monkey wrote:
Perhaps Cinema goer would be happier if they played re-runs of old Jim Davidson and Rory Chubby Brown shows on an endless loop sometime
On 9 Aug 2018 at 7:26pm ida thought wrote:
If it's making money then it's showing the right films. If it isn't then it isn't.
On 9 Aug 2018 at 7:51pm Pervy Pete wrote:
I would like them to screen a few of the old classics. Films like Debbie Does Dallas or The Devil In Miss Jones would go down well with a Lewes audience.
On 9 Aug 2018 at 7:51pm Science fan wrote:
As someone who has worked with the Depot (on the sci screen events) I can only disagree; Iíve not only found the management receptive to a range of ideas but think the programming is quite broad - certainly broader than any comparably sized cinema.
At the moment there are 4 ďblockbustersĒ: mission impossible, mama Mia, hotel Transylvania, and the Incredibles.
On 9 Aug 2018 at 7:57pm ThomasJeromeNewton wrote:
Toenail
They have had a few music concert showings
Nick cave and Muse have both had concert films shown there. With blistering sound (nick cave anyway. Canít be doing with muse)
On 9 Aug 2018 at 8:04pm Earl of Lewess wrote:
In the last few months, I've been to the Depot to see Jaws, A Fistful of Dollars, Interstellar, Platoon and Mission Impossible - not exactly niche films. I think @Cinema goer is quite wrong (although I would love a George Romero film).
On 9 Aug 2018 at 8:09pm Science fan wrote:
Iím going to try and get a zombie film as one of my colleagues researches how pandemics spread and can give a talk to go with it.
On 10 Aug 2018 at 9:50am Mavis wrote:
OMG This posting is still here, don't mention the food !!
On 11 Aug 2018 at 8:15am Herb Shark wrote:
If they do start bringing in the crowds for blockbuster movies, maybe consider sorting out the bar system; I went to see The Apparition and became tangled in the Mamma Mia crowd; it took 20 minutes to get a drink.

On 11 Aug 2018 at 1:27pm SPONG wrote:
I fear the cinema would run at a loss were it not for the bar, so adequate staffing of the bar seems fundamental to the Depot's overall success. Would it be too much to ask for the managers to roll up their sleeves and help out when there is a rush?
On 11 Aug 2018 at 1:58pm Another cinema goer wrote:
Diversity is not something to be celebrated. It should be tolerated, but discreetly. Vibrancy is the coming together of wholesome activities like Lewes bonfire; or a well-filled pub on a saturday night.

On 12 Aug 2018 at 9:37am Under the bridge wrote:
I'll celebrate what I want thank you very much Mr Troll
On 12 Aug 2018 at 11:10am Dick wrote:
They have had classic horror films, old westerns and road movies. I donít know of any cinema with a more diverse programme.

14 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Sunset 89:142
Lewes Sunset

It's hard to decide who is the funniest on here: 'Chicken Licken' Cool Hand Luke or 'Street Fighting Man' Sensible. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams