Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Democracy

On 8 May 2015 at 8:13am the kronic wrote:
We live in a democracy, the people have voted. Don't get arsey because they didn't vote the way you wanted them to.
Millions of people lost their lives so we can live like this.
On 8 May 2015 at 8:24am NowSeeWhatHappens wrote:
As mentioned, 62% of the local electorate have not voted for Maria.
On 8 May 2015 at 8:33am the kronic wrote:
I don't care for any political party but she's obviously got in with a majority. The people have spoken. Deal with it.
On 8 May 2015 at 8:56am NowSeeWhatHappens wrote:
Actually a minority that counts for a majority in our flawed voting system.
On 8 May 2015 at 9:01am Paul Newman wrote:
Unless you have a limit of two candidates the one with the most votes wins. There are other systems but they all have problems. With about 3,000,000 votes an done MP I think UKIP have the most to complain about.
The position of Wales and Scotland is unfair and the boundaries badly need to be reformed

On 8 May 2015 at 9:11am DJ wrote:
N S W Hs even less than 62% wanted Norman. Get on with it.
On 8 May 2015 at 9:14am pr party wrote:
So when ate getying the lewes to Uckfield rail link Maria?
On 8 May 2015 at 9:16am pr party wrote:
Sorry for spelling - on small mobile
On 8 May 2015 at 10:25am Zzz.. wrote:
We have a dire electoral system which does not deliver anything like democracy... and Mr Krone I'd rather not 'live with it' and prefer to activate for an improvement. All right by you is that son?
On 8 May 2015 at 10:31am the kronic wrote:
And why's that Zzz ? because your chosen party didn't win ?
Seems like a logical system to me. People vote for their chosen party, the votes are counted, whoever gets the most votes, wins.
Soooooooo so simple.
On 8 May 2015 at 10:44am Paul Newman wrote:
I don`t think it works for a multi-Party democracy and it is especially wrong to have a small regional Party getting fifty times as many seats as (let us say ) the Greens who got more votes.
On 8 May 2015 at 10:47am Old Bloke wrote:
Enough sour grapes around today to stock Waitrose
On 8 May 2015 at 11:36am ms_kitka wrote:
As I said in another thread, Maria Caulfield SUPPORTS FRACKING!!! And NHS PRIVATISATION!!!
She said as much last month at the hustings at All Saints. I hope all of you who voted for her are happy about that.
As to the rest of us, be afraid. Be very afraid.
On 8 May 2015 at 11:40am Country Boy wrote:
Sour grapes and chips!
On 8 May 2015 at 11:42am Zzz.. wrote:
Nope it's Kronik, it's because the majority of the people in the UK are not represented. The FPT post system is responsible for maintaining the inefficient two party state, the status quo, and actively works against change. Without change the UK will stagnate. The two party system is also responsible for encouraging the UK's constrictive 'us versus them' mentality, a damaging legacy of the class system and one we'd do best to break free from. You are a good example of this, a close-minded, blinkered victim of the system.

I also agree with Paul's reasons for change.
On 8 May 2015 at 11:44am the kronic wrote:
Hard cheese and sour grapes ?
On 8 May 2015 at 11:55am Zzz.. wrote:
Nope. Its been my position for decades
On 8 May 2015 at 12:16pm Country Boy wrote:
This election was like none other I recall in that the campaigns became like a game of chess between the various parties. Whether by luck or design the Conservatives took advantage of the Scotland situation and neatly backed Labour into a corner. Nicola Sturgeon was the undoing of Labour in more ways than one!
On 8 May 2015 at 2:47pm Zzz.. wrote:
A statistic for you:

With 1.5m votes the SNP got 59 seats
With 1.2m votes the Greens got 1 seat

Our electoral system is rubbish whichever way you look at it.
On 8 May 2015 at 3:24pm pr party wrote:
Other figs
ukip 3,875,409 votes 1 seat
dup 184,260 votes 8 seats
lib dems 2,399,866 votes 8 seats
I am not ukip but this is crazy

On 8 May 2015 at 4:22pm pr party wrote:
Other figs
ukip 3,875,409 votes 1 seat
dup 184,260 votes 8 seats
lib dems 2,399,866 votes 8 seats
I am not ukip but this is crazy

On 8 May 2015 at 8:03pm Country Boy wrote:
Does anyone know the demographics of the 37 ish % that voted Conservative?

On 9 May 2015 at 6:18pm trooper wrote:
DEMOCRACY. Ii matters not a tinkers cuss who or what you voted for,it is the fact that that you CAN vote for whoever you please. There are countries in this world where you can and will be killed or tortured because of you wish to do something other than those in power wish you to do. Yes, I have been in these countries and in their prisons.
Consider your selves fortunate that you live in a country that allows you this freedom. Every year I remember my comrades who gave their lives for this.

14 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Station Sunset 81:132
Lewes Station Sunset

@Dreamer Perhaps the answer to your question why does TP trot out the same old rubbish, repeatedly, without the slightest... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like BONFIRE NIGHT, and of course all the out-meetings which go on around this time - and the loud bang at the crack of dawn!
Jojo