Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Debrief Mumfords

On 21 Jul 2013 at 2:03pm Zarabanda Jones wrote:
All in all a brilliant advertisement for Lewes (or Loos to a lot of people).
GOOD POINTS
Great music
Nice to involve local shops within the arena (Priory Market)
Plenty of space both days to sit if you wanted to
Brilliant atmosphere
No bad behaviour
Friendly people and security guards
NOT SO GOOD POINTS
Queue on Friday night total mayhem (First being told even though you had a wristband it was all the same queue.... then .. oh there is another queue round at the main entrance if you have a wristband... the queue was bigger there than the queue we had just been in! Lack of signage an direction)
Profiteering by local pubs (The Gardeners main culprit) and Harveys
LETS HOPE IT HAPPENS AGAIN SOOON
WILL WE SEE MUMFORDS ON BONFIRE NIGHT?

On 21 Jul 2013 at 2:19pm Not A DFL wrote:
Re, Above post. Over all a fantastic weekend, shame about Friday ticket/armband cock up. All it needed was more points of access and exit and a more straight forward way of issuing wrist bands.
Concept of a music festival has been long over due in Lewes and may this be the start of many more years of enjoyment for like minded souls, who just want a good time in the sun listening to any form of main stream bands.
Take on board all this years faults and move on to next years.

On 21 Jul 2013 at 2:30pm Old Malling wrote:
I didn't notice any profiteering - but then I didnt go into the gardeners! Good to see the shops still busy this morning, even some that aren't usually open on Sunday's. It would be interesting to know whether the council made a profit out of it too.
On 21 Jul 2013 at 2:30pm Harvey wrote:
I heard the Gardeners increased there prices after the event and were selling old Cider! poor show. no need for it really!
On 21 Jul 2013 at 2:43pm lewes resident wrote:
if there has to be another festival , it should be held way way out of the town, far too much disruption for the residents, why do we have to have another festival?
On 21 Jul 2013 at 3:08pm southover resident wrote:
All this praise makes me sick. It has been an unmitigated disaster and should never be allowed to happen ever again.

On 21 Jul 2013 at 3:11pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Was there much disruption away from the Southover area, LR, and I'm intrigued to know in what respects you feel it was a disaster, SR?

On 21 Jul 2013 at 3:28pm LewesLocal wrote:
I don't see how this was a disaster, it was by far the most civilised festival I've ever attended. Overall everyone was on good form, local businesses did get to benefit, for example the bonfire society bar was packed all night!
On 21 Jul 2013 at 5:19pm lewes resident wrote:
there was disruption with regard to audiences travelling from London to go to Glyndebourne. they had to get off at HHeath to catch a bus and the same going back to London. they couldn't have been very happy. noise element was very disruptive, it's bad enough to have disruption in November don't need it in july as well.
On 21 Jul 2013 at 5:33pm GoldenEgg wrote:
Glynenourne goers don't have a monopoly on the town. And if you can afford to go to opera then you can afford to get a taxi if slumming it on a bus is beneath you. Roll on next year!
On 21 Jul 2013 at 5:38pm lewes resident wrote:
no they don't have a monopoly on the town, nobody does, or do they? exactly the type of comment I would expect
On 21 Jul 2013 at 6:10pm The Real Lewes Resident wrote:
Malling Field was full of rubbish and broken glass bottles all weekend, where were the extra rubbish bins, also the Lewes District Council should have arranged for a clean up every day, after all people soon complain if you do not pick up your dog poo.
Lewes District Council lean by there mistakes.
On 21 Jul 2013 at 6:48pm A Saunders wrote:
Well what a fab weekend it was! Not heard of any problems in Lewes apart from the usual spoilsports who don't like to see people enjoying themselves! don't forget young people live here too. It was nice to see everybody coming together and putting Lewes on the map!

On 21 Jul 2013 at 6:55pm Roly Mo wrote:
Real Lewes Resident, I saw countless LDC refuse staff over the weekend, in the town and on site. I bet you anything that the Convent Field was as clear of rubbish this morning as it was on Saturday morning. Well done to those men and women who spent their time picking it all up.

On 21 Jul 2013 at 7:27pm Dunk wrote:
Lovely weekend. The hour I had to wait for an armband on the Friday was a bit poor but can easily be remedied by simply employing a few more people. Excellent food and drink and lots of local firms- not a sell-out to the multinationals like the Olympics. All in all excellent fun and I hope they do it again.
All the 'you only get one square metre, how many people will die?' comments on here just seemed farcical once you were inside. Well done everyone.
On 21 Jul 2013 at 8:19pm Real Lewes Resident wrote:
Roly Mo, The Convent Field may have been cleared of rubbish, but Malling Field was not cleaned up, lots of broken glass bottles on the field and on the paths, I walked them both days.
On 21 Jul 2013 at 10:11pm dot wrote:
In response to Old Malling, when you pay on average 3.50 for a pint of Harveys in town
then on Mumfords weekend to pay 4.00 a pint as a local in the Gardeners Arms
and 4.00 a pint at Harveys Yard after show party when you have already paid 10 to get in!
I call that profiteering

On 21 Jul 2013 at 10:44pm Not A DFL wrote:
Its good to see all the various comments on this weekends festival.
Having enjoyed many years of visiting Cambridge Folk Festival, its was great to be on home ground. Cambridge Council do a fantastic job, along with all the other organisations that help them. They have ironed out the problems over the years and its a great event for locals and people from further a field. And for the locals you get a discounted ticket, now there's a point to take on board Lewes District Council.
LDC have a wonderful opportunity to make this a yearly event, PLEASE don't back away from placing the County Town of Sussex on the festival map.

On 21 Jul 2013 at 11:18pm Grim wrote:
For the record the Glyndebourne goers were quite happy to be bussed from H Heath rather than Lewes. Glyndebourne had it all well organised, which is more than can be said about the Friday night queues.
Overall 'though it was a enlivening weekend.

On 22 Jul 2013 at 7:28am Logandog wrote:
A little disruption a bit of noise, lots of money brought into town.
Sounds like bonfire.

On 22 Jul 2013 at 10:18am huw wrote:
dot, is it really 3.50 on average for a pint of Harveys in town? We're 3.30.
We also still ran our 2 meals for 10 offer instead of reverting to full price.
Some pubs rounded up to the nearest 50p to make it easier to get change for the event (as they do on bonfire) but we kept our prices the same.
Not everywhere was profiteering.
On 22 Jul 2013 at 10:56am Andy P wrote:
As someone who came to the weekend at Lewis and someone who has been to a good many festivals: Well done. I had to arrive by car but did fill it up with 4 people and was surprised to have no problems with parking in or out of the event. Signage could have been better generally as could have been refuse collection facilities about the perimeter of the event. There were probably enough bins INSIDE the event but they were not emptied with enough frequency. I will, however be writing to the organisers AND Lewis council about the poor provision of toilets. there were not enough, they were not serviced enough.
Also I think Lewis as a town did well from inviting the hoards into town - the wee booklet was a champion idea. Although, the average Munfords fan is white, between the ages of 16 and 40 and is conservative/liberal with lowercase c and l respectively. I have been to many dance / rock events whos demographic are generally more rowdy - speak to anyone in Winchester when the 'homelands' / 'creamfields' gigs were on and they will regale stories of an event happening 4 miles outside town and who's attendees trash the town and travel hubs like a swarm of, well, arseholes. I wasn't one myself (obviously whiter than white etc etc) but it is depressing to see the fall out of a badly run event year on year with no improvement.
Essentially, the 20,000 person gig in Lewis was great, actually VERY good when compared to other places. Good local food and booze, some good music. town in tact, money in tills. But do make sure to have comprehensive wash up meetings with the council to make the next one better, and the one after that etc etc.
you've got a good thing there Lewis (that and the fireworks) - don't be apathetic or greedy.

On 22 Jul 2013 at 11:11am PLUMPTON LAD wrote:
Only complaint I had was the queue for the wristbands on the Friday - far too long - 2 hours in my case. If it happens again the council needs to insist that the organisers employ more people on the opening day to check tickets and issue wristbands, open the site a bit earlier to enable a more staggered arrival etc. Also could be worth working with Southern to get an extra late train service to cut down on traffic. Rest was great, especially priory village site to involve local businesses and the ale bars which involved the bonfire societies.
On 22 Jul 2013 at 1:06pm miffed wrote:
ANDY P you came to a concert in our town but cant even spell it right . LEWES !!!!!!!!!!!!!
On 22 Jul 2013 at 1:08pm Muffin wrote:
Miffed, Andy P went to a concert on the Isle of Lewis but came to the wrong forum, as easy mistake to make.

On 22 Jul 2013 at 1:22pm miffed wrote:
yeah course he did . Read his post . mmmmmmmmmm mumford played scotland sure

On 22 Jul 2013 at 3:10pm Grandpa wrote:
Miffed, never mind his spelling, what he had to say was sincere.

On 22 Jul 2013 at 7:58pm Old Malling wrote:
Fair comment Dot. Maybe the answer is to head for a less profiteering pub like the Ellie...

On 23 Jul 2013 at 1:30pm Andy p wrote:
I see pedantry is alive and well and thriving in LEWES.
Just trying to impart my point of view.
You are, however, comparatively funny.

On 23 Jul 2013 at 1:50pm Drummerdaz wrote:
I think the whole event was a huge success and enjoyed it enormously.
Two points. Firstly if it was done again then it needs to be with acts of a high enough stature to encourage people to attend. There are dozens of small festivals all competing for crowds so it need sto be something special.
Secondly, why move it out of town and deprive local businesses of the chance to make some money? Lewes was heaving at the weekend.
Lastly (third point), all the pedantry on the forum is a little tiresome. Why belittle someone just for spelling Lewes wrong. It really isn't important.

On 23 Jul 2013 at 8:34pm lewes resident wrote:
the reason for moving the festival out of town would be to reduce the amount of disturbance and disruption that the residents had to endure.Local businesses make enough money anyway I am sure.judging by their prices.

On 26 Jul 2013 at 5:33pm Cliffite wrote:
Overall success; so what if a couple of streets were closed. Perhaps they should be given free entry next time. So what if Glyndebourne go'ers were disrupted, they cause travel chaos every other night during opera season stealing all the taxis. So what if the cricket pitch suffered, that's boring anyway. Just as long as next time we have some bands with balls and singers with spirit, I'm happy. But that's just my opinion. I appreciate some didn't enjoy the weekend, I hope they can realise 1 out of 52 is not so bad in light of things.

5 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Harveys Brewery 40:132
Harveys Brewery

Funnily enough I haven't spoken to the fossil fuel industry, or they to me. Your personal remarks about my sanity are becoming as... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams