Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Dear horrid woman on cliffe high st.

On 15 Jan 2015 at 3:11pm Innocent Shopper wrote:
I do not appreciate being accosted on the street because my shopping bag unfortunately broke and the contents of a jar fell out and proceeded to smash into pieces on the floor.
Instead of you instantly yelling in my face 'You can't just leave that there!' and shouting after me calling me a 'lazy cow' for not picking it up, you might have considered asking me if I was ok and if I needed help? You might have also not assumed that I wasn't doing anything about it (but you didn't ask) and instead asked me what I was doing. If you had asked, I would have told you I was walking back to the shop where the shopping had come from to tell them what had happened and ask them to deal with it.
Why should I potentially injure myself on glass and do a poor job of cleaning something up with nothing but my hands(!) when I could get the people responsible to do that with their own equipment?
Hopefully you'll try to be more tactful in dealing with strangers in future and if you can't manage that, perhaps just mind your own business.
On 15 Jan 2015 at 3:18pm Zebedee wrote:
It was your bag or the shop's?
On 15 Jan 2015 at 3:22pm Bob & Jean wrote:
Admittedly, it's wrong to assume you were not dealing with it in such a rude way, but not sure why you believe the shop was responsible to clear it up.
On 15 Jan 2015 at 3:29pm Innocent Shopper wrote:
It was the shop's bag
On 15 Jan 2015 at 3:32pm Innocent Shopper wrote:
Only as much as the bag was faulty and they had the equipment to do it whereas I'd either had to source something to clean it up with or potentially get shards of glass in my hand

On 15 Jan 2015 at 4:07pm belladonna wrote:
Tricky one - did the shop agree to clear it up ? And whose shopping bags were they ? IME Waitrose often give bags out that tear or break, but will always double them up if you think the bag might give way.
On 15 Jan 2015 at 4:08pm Grafter wrote:
Thanks for letting us all know.Would you like us to put up a plaque or report it as a micro aggression to the police. I have had a hard day myself, one of my friends failed to notice my new hairdo. I feel so much better now I have shared it with the good people of Lewes.
On 15 Jan 2015 at 5:20pm Old Bloke wrote:
Why didn't you just chin the aggressive nosey woman instead of coming on here and being all whingy and boring
(I'm assuming you're a woman rather than a wimpy man)
On 15 Jan 2015 at 5:23pm Sums it up dunnit ? wrote:
The class divide is alive and well in Lewes
On 15 Jan 2015 at 5:48pm uckfieldbaza wrote:
what would you say if I let my dog take a dump and walked off
On 15 Jan 2015 at 5:49pm Innocent Shopper wrote:
Old Bloke, I guess if I had it would have made a more share-worthy story for Grafter! I am quite reserved and will happily avoid altercations hence writing this boring whingy post, I just felt if I wrote it and they saw it then they might just reconsider how they acted, as this person would have walked away thinking they were justified in their actions. I had my poor grandfather on the end of the phone in the midst of it all so I was not able to reprimand appropriately at the time.
On 15 Jan 2015 at 5:51pm Innocent Shopper wrote:
Uckfieldbaza, I would ask you nicely if you plan to pick it up and then if you said 'Yes, I am just going to find a bag somewhere,' - I would let you get on with it :-)
On 15 Jan 2015 at 6:00pm more s**t wrote:
Innocent shopper. Makes you wonder why you bother posting absolutely anything on here doesn't it, unless of course, you're posting political crap
On 15 Jan 2015 at 7:02pm Clifford wrote:
I hope you know Innocent Shopper you've given a lot of us a great deal of amusement. I particularly enjoyed:'I had my poor grandfather on the end of the phone in the midst of it all so I was not able to reprimand appropriately at the time.' Comedy gold.
On 16 Jan 2015 at 10:44am Old Bloke wrote:
How is it "comedy gold"?
On 16 Jan 2015 at 12:56pm Metatron wrote:
Someone pinch me, is this a joke?You dropped it, you pick it up.
Simples!!!!
If anyone cuts themselves, you would be to blame.... Could only happen in Lewes.
On 16 Jan 2015 at 1:43pm Horseman7 wrote:
I feel perhaps Horrid Woman and Innocent Shopper could both have handled the situation with more tact.
Could Innocent Shopper have used the broken bag that let her down so badly to wrap around her hand and afford some protection whilst gathering up the broken shards? Would this have been the sensible and responsible course of action?
Had I been passing by and espied Innocent Shopper carrying out the above manoeuvre, I would have offered additional bags and tissues to assist in the clear up operation. This is the way I would, and indeed do, deal with such an accident in my own kitchen.
On 16 Jan 2015 at 1:55pm Walt Raleigh wrote:
I would have cast my cloak over the offending preserve and swept it away in a safe and timely manner
On 16 Jan 2015 at 2:19pm 8 miles from home wrote:
What was in the jar? Not a lot when it hit the ground!
On 16 Jan 2015 at 4:14pm Innocent Shopper wrote:
Metatron, you obviously have not read, I did not 'drop' it... How about if I had cut myself then who would be too blame? How about getting the correct help from the shop who did not mind and had the equipment to do it? I am not as bothered by the situation of a broken bag and a spillage but more by the actions of some stranger who takes it upon themselves to shout at people when unfortunate things happen to them!
On 16 Jan 2015 at 4:49pm Innocent Shopper wrote:
Metatron, you obviously have not read, I did not 'drop' it... How about if I had cut myself then who would be too blame? How about getting the correct help from the shop who did not mind and had the equipment to do it? I am not as bothered by the situation of a broken bag and a spillage but more by the actions of some stranger who takes it upon themselves to shout at people when unfortunate things happen to them!
On 16 Jan 2015 at 4:55pm Metatron wrote:
Yes I did read your post several times as I didn't believe it the first time. Sorry but how simple can it be, it does not matter if the bag split or you dropped it it is still became your responsability. Better you got cut than another person totally inconected with your event.
On 16 Jan 2015 at 7:19pm American wrote:
ISNT Lewes just Dandy !! You eccentric English split my sides !! Hohoho
On 16 Jan 2015 at 11:21pm ????? wrote:
I struggling with this, you bought something in a shop the bag split the item smashed you thought it beneath you to clear it up, a passerby accosted you, you got the hump. Why isn't the Horrid Woman on here criticising you? You must be a DFL.
On 16 Jan 2015 at 11:49pm Belladonna wrote:
I think no one is to blame here, and it is your responsibility to clear it up, the objects concerned including bag were all yours. Unless you were just borrowing the bag from the shop concerned ?? I'm glad they helped you clear it up and sorry someone shouted at you, but it really is just LIFE - we all have bad days and you just have to put it down to experience and laugh about it. And maybe get a stronger reusable bag for future shopping trips?

On 17 Jan 2015 at 9:44am Jim Rockford wrote:
Just use a strong brown paper bag - eh "American"
On 17 Jan 2015 at 2:15pm Innocent Shopper wrote:
I won't be returning on here to check or reply after this post as I don't feel I need to repeat myself especially when the point of the initial post has evaded most commenters.
My issue with this situation is regardless of how one goes about getting glass cleaned up on a street (as there is more than one way!) but rather that whatever I had chose to do to deal with said mess, I was instantly berated for walking from it without simply just enquiring if I was dealing with it. Even if I had wanted to grab other bags and tissues from somewhere rather than go the seconds walk to the shop to ask for help, I still would have needed to leave the spot; my point is I don't think she would have been happy unless I had instantly cordoned off the area, got on my megaphone and announced to the public not to panic then proceeded to pull out the 'cleaning in progress' sign and the dustpan and brush that obviously I carry around on my person for such emergencies. My point was that I didn't feel a member of public should behave like that to a stranger, it is wrong of people to assume and treat a stranger wrongly before asking and I don't quite stand for it, whatever the level of aggression - that is the moral of the story. Now, let's move on people. I hope you all have a nice day.
Ps. Belladonna, I have plenty of jute bags but I didn't happen to have one on me as it was an impromptu shopping trip after getting off the bus from work but I will certainly rethink my impromptu journeys in future!

On 18 Jan 2015 at 8:19am Happy Shopper wrote:
Over and out

On 18 Jan 2015 at 12:30pm Clifford wrote:
Please don't go away Innocent Shopper. We need more of your humour on here. I loved this: 'I have plenty of jute bags but I didn't happen to have one on me as it was an impromptu shopping trip after getting off the bus from work but I will certainly rethink my impromptu journeys in future!' That exclamation mark at the end of was inspired.

8 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Closet and Botts 28:143
Closet and Botts

What happened to my post made last night? Is there a curfew from 11 pm? What are the rules with this forum? Just tell me and... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa