Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Daily Mail in good article shock

On 13 Jul 2012 at 3:18pm Southover Queen wrote:
Here's a very interesting article by Charlie Gilmour which appears in the Daily Mail, of all places.

We've talked about the value of prison before and let's just say that many of the posters hereabouts don't agree with my conclusion that it often just makes people worse and that we might rethink some of our entrenched ideas on slinging people into jail.

Young Mr Gilmour's point of view is interesting, I think. I'd like to know what the rest of you think!

Check it out here »

On 13 Jul 2012 at 4:02pm Cheeky Monkey wrote:
Charlie Gilmour has some really good points to make here however we must remember that he stands to inherit a goodly sum and will never need to do a days work in his life. How many others who were jailed in 2010 and 2011 can say the same thing?
That said, I agree with his analysis of the prison system.
It reflects the outside world.
You judge a society by how it looks after the people at the bottom.
He's spot on about the governments attitude, "We don't care"
They dont care about anyone, chilling and dark, but true.

On 14 Jul 2012 at 9:44pm Willdelivermail wrote:
sq ......how did you come across this article...are you a secret subscriber?or did you just get it for Jamie's recipes!!

On 16 Jul 2012 at 10:21pm Southover Queen wrote:
Nah... Nothing so exciting, Will. Someone flagged it on my Facebook page I'm afraid.

I did think it was an interesting article. Most similar pieces written by ex-prisoners come over as special pleading, or are by people who have been in prison for many years and have a very different perspective. So to hear from someone who will have spent his time alongside short term inmates who could really reflect his experiences honestly was compelling. It did make you think that society is not well served by locking up disruptive and chaotic youths, who do indeed seem to use prison as a sort of criminal master class.

33 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Impending Sheep 45:132
Impending Sheep

What will channel 4 news be without him and his colourful ties? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell