Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Cyclist -Red lights ?

On 9 Nov 2016 at 4:46pm Jamie Jenson wrote:
I often see cyclist go through red lights, just wondered if they are legally allowed to do this? Or if there is any Highway Code they have to abide by? The latest cyclist I saw doing this had all his safety gear on, yellow jacket, helmet, flashing neon lights etc. I wondered what was the point in spending money on all this safety gear when you cycle through red lights? Defeats the object I'd say.
On 9 Nov 2016 at 4:55pm Marky Markson wrote:
No, they are definitely not allowed to do this, but most of them appear to be above the law. The most dangerous and annoying to me, when it's dark is the lack of front and rear lights of any sort - or just having a rear light - why?
On 9 Nov 2016 at 5:02pm Robby Rob wrote:
As they are a vehicle they are of course subject to all the same laws any vehicle is subject too when on the road (they must follow the highway code fully).
Oh yes the irony of them wearing all the gear to keep safe and then going through a red light or worst still cycle through the light on the pavement.
Hence I have always though pushbikes on the road should have some form of registration system, so the bad ones can be reported.
On 9 Nov 2016 at 5:59pm Jeff wrote:
I'm sure the don't go across the red lights if there are cars coming across them. If it was at the bottleneck there is plenty of room for a bike and car to pass anyway.
Jesus, do you people wait to walk across lights if there's no cars coming?
On 9 Nov 2016 at 6:10pm Jesus wrote:
I personally do not cross against a red man as I like to set a good example to others. But what does infuriate me (though I overcome it) is when I am driving my truck to deliver food to the needy and I struggle to overtake a cyclist- only to find that at the next red traffic lights he rides past on the pavement to beat the queue. I then have to struggle to overtake the c****** again.
On 9 Nov 2016 at 8:01pm Tipex wrote:
I agree Jeff. If they're not putting themselves at risk or anyone else I couldn't care less.
On 9 Nov 2016 at 9:25pm @jeff wrote:
Pedestrians are not subject have having to wait at red lights but yes if a policeman saw you crossing dangerously they would have words, so what's the difference between bikes and mopeds then Jeff? By your reasoning they can skip red lights too? And what about motorbikes, surely they are exempt? Doesn't really work does it, wait at red lights like the rest of us or get off and push it round the corner. It's amazing how cyclists follow the rules they want to follow and ignore the rest, well guess what, it's that same mentality that cause car drivers to overtake you closely, they do because they can! If you advocate ignoring some rules you can't complain when others do.
On 9 Nov 2016 at 11:56pm The Greek wrote:
As an avid cyclist this is my pet peeve. Not least because it gives any excuse for a person who dislikes cyclists to sound off.
On 10 Nov 2016 at 6:46am Pete the meat wrote:
It's not a matter of disliking pedal cyclist it's about understanding the mentality of people who have all the singing and dancing safety gear on (clearly safety conscious) and then take silly risks of going through a red light, it doesn't add up.
On 10 Nov 2016 at 9:35am The Greek wrote:
Agreed, it's stupid. And as cyclists we need to give as little excuses as possible for people to get pissed off!

On 10 Nov 2016 at 9:40am Meh wrote:
I find the flashing lights on bikes more annoying than red light jumping. I thought they had to be solid lights but this seems to be ignored

On 10 Nov 2016 at 10:02am ar10642 wrote:
The law was changed to allow flashing lights. Boris bikes have them.
On 10 Nov 2016 at 10:09am cyclist2 wrote:
Jesus.. as one of the cyclists that you have probably overtaken only to meet at the next set of red lights, why do you find it necessary to overtake a cyclist in town when you know that he is only going to be stuck behind you again at the next jam? I frequently get squeezed by trucks and buses trying to pass me heading into town at the bottleneck only to get stuck behind them at the law courts. Just wait until there's adequate space and do it safely and considerately please.
For what it's worth, I also find it annoying to see cyclists flying through red lights with no consideration for others.
On 10 Nov 2016 at 6:26pm Taff wrote:
As Pete the Meat raised, how selfish is it to put on safety gear to ride the pavements! With all the protruding parts bicycles have. Or do these arrogant tossers expect pedestrians to now where protective items?

On 11 Nov 2016 at 7:28am Tasty tracey wrote:
Lol
On 12 Nov 2016 at 10:05am Harry wrote:
There are plenty of idiots on two wheels, more on four wheels and even more on two legs. Assume every road user or pedestrian is going to do something stupid and drive accordingly.
And a quick message to the blond haired lad on a bike who crossed Mayhew Way near the roundabout yesterday morning. If you are going to continue to cycle across both lanes of a road without looking, whilst wearing headphones, you might want to not bother going to school anymore. You won't live long enough for an education to be any use to you.

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

rye bonfire badge 103:132
rye bonfire badge

90% of the adult population have had 1 vaccine already in the UK, with around 82% double dosed. It would come as no surprise that... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare