Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Council plans to sell its downland farms

On 14 Nov 2016 at 2:48pm Theresa Brown wrote:
The South Downs National Park and Eastbourne Council plans to sell its downland farms.. It has already sold off several areas of countryside owned by us, the public, without letting anyone know and without any kind of consultation process. This is the thin end of the wedge, with this Government clearly pushing to sell off public assets.
On 14 Nov 2016 at 2:55pm resident wrote:
Can you give us more information Theresa? Unfortunately this underhand kind of practice goes on unless someone like yourself alerts others. It's a bit of an unholy alliance - the SDNP and Eastbourne Council? And of course LDC and Eastbourne are becoming cosy....
On 14 Nov 2016 at 3:24pm Theresa Brown wrote:
Here is some more information on the current situation

Check it out here »
On 14 Nov 2016 at 3:59pm resident wrote:
It's appalling! This needs wide publicity. Thank you Theresa
On 14 Nov 2016 at 6:06pm Tipex wrote:
Vote for austerity, get austerity. Starve public services of cash and they'll sell anything they can to meet their obligations. Not really that surprising.
On 14 Nov 2016 at 6:10pm Wotcha wrote:
Resident writes as if this sale has been kept a secret. The news may not have reached this forum, but it's been the talk of Eastbourne, where the land is located, for some time. I'm sometimes astonished at how parochial we can be in Lewes.
On 14 Nov 2016 at 10:42pm sam wrote:
No Wotcha - not parochialism. Most people are struggling to survive, not to seek out elusive information. Newspapers are no longer purveyors of news; they are the mouth pieces of biased press barons. TV channels long ago stopped disseminating the news that actually matters to local communities. Nowadays you need a crystal ball to gain information affecting your
particular patch. We rely on people like Theresa to speak out. In effect we've been silenced.
On 15 Nov 2016 at 12:11am The Greek wrote:
Yet everyone still votes Tory in this damn county?!?!
On 15 Nov 2016 at 7:50am Earl of Lewes wrote:
People voted for three Labour governments between 1997 and 2005. If they had a leader who appealed beyond the cult-like echo chamber of the Jeremy Corbyn Appreciation Society, they might get back into power. But until they sort themselves out, people will continue supporting the Tories.
On 15 Nov 2016 at 8:08am Clifford wrote:
Earl of Lewes wrote: 'People voted for three Labour governments between 1997 and 2005.'

And look what they got. Thatcher said 'New Labour' was her greatest creation. Wars and a continuation of neo-liberalism was hardly something to boast about. Corbyn is the reaction of Labour party supporters sick of those wasted years.
On 15 Nov 2016 at 8:46am will wrote:
Well said Clifford.
On 15 Nov 2016 at 8:53am Landporter wrote:
The problem is Clifford, labour doesn't know where it's going with its current leader. I don't think I've ever seen a political party in such turmoil as today's labour.....think Michael Foot etc.
I don't subscribe to any party, I will vote for the best party for my family because that's the selfish world we live in today.
However, I liked the "new labour" because they weren't too far left or right. I wonder if we'll ever get a party who are completely behind the "normal" person rather then the vocal minority.
On 15 Nov 2016 at 9:29am Clifford wrote:
Well, Landporter if you think the invasion of Iraq - which heightened chaos in the Middle East and put us in greater danger - and supine 'regulation' of the banks - which helped trigger the 2008 crisis, which ordinary people are still paying for - was 'normal' and something to like, I do wonder about your political judgement. That was 'New Labour'.
On 15 Nov 2016 at 10:16am Landporter wrote:
They're all as corrupt as each other Clifford, all on the take, all in it for themselves from the top, right down to local councillors

On 15 Nov 2016 at 11:06am Clifford wrote:
Well, we certainly agree on that Landporter.

On 15 Nov 2016 at 11:22am Tom Pain wrote:
When I got to the bottom of this post I couldn't remember what it was about! It's a classic case of misdirection, probably inadvertent in this case. It's not about party politics it's about selling off the Downs. If Eastbourne can do it graft hungry hands in Lewes will be itching for a piece of the action, whatever their party of convenience. Perpetuity doesn't seem to last that long these days.

On 15 Nov 2016 at 2:08pm Mouthpiece wrote:
Eastbourne Council have taken over Lewes District Council. As of January all LDC staff will be employed by Eastbourne Council

On 15 Nov 2016 at 4:52pm The people wrote:
That's what I have said in several posts over last two years. So now we know.

On 15 Nov 2016 at 8:29pm Dexter wrote:
... and more Tory back door asset striiping of public land here on the other side of us with Brighton being forced into the same decisions. It reallly is criminal.

Check it out here »
On 17 Nov 2016 at 5:01pm Wotcha wrote:
Much of Brighton & Hove City Council's farmland is in Lewes District.

On 20 Nov 2016 at 7:02pm Observer wrote:
"Corbyn is the reaction of Labour party supporters sick of those wasted years."
That's rubbish. Labour members who were members in 2014 and before are majority anti-Corbyn. Labour voters give him a very poor rating.

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Rugby Club 78:132
Lewes Rugby Club

Any thoughts idm? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine