Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Council Demolishes listed wall Without permission

On 13 Nov 2008 at 10:47am S.Oliver wrote:
Anyone interested in our Council, and Councillors attitude to Listed Buildings may wish to know the following.
The Council demolished a large section of Grade II listed wall that they own at one side of East St car park in the Conservation Area. It has since been surrounded by scaffiolding. This occurred over a year ago, but no permission has ever been obtained. Demolishing a Listed Building (including walls) is a criminal offence.
The demolished section was rebuilt, again without planning permisssion.
We can all work out what that means, and it is a shame that our councillors, particularly Cllr Peter Gardiner, as Lead member for planning do not seem to understand the law.

On 13 Nov 2008 at 11:21am Local wrote:
Who would you report a breach of the law like this to? The local authority itself or to the police? If to the local authority, could you then complain to the Local Government Ombudsman if the local authority took no action?

On 13 Nov 2008 at 12:13pm Town resident wrote:
To save Ben the trouble, why don't you tell Councillors.? I find it hard to believe that the Council would demolish a Listed wall without permission.

On 13 Nov 2008 at 3:20pm Nosey Parker wrote:
Reporting this to the perpetrator seems pointless.
Reporting to our uninterested councillors seems equally ineffective.
Reporting to Ombudsman is arguably a waste of time as he is funded by local authorities and therefore NOT impartial.
We need someone to champion our cause and our town, but who?

On 13 Nov 2008 at 4:32pm Lopster wrote:
there was a recent mailshot/questionnaire that asked this very question - suggested an independant body amongst ther things - I answered mine and sent it off for 30th Sept - not heard any feedback yet...

On 13 Nov 2008 at 5:13pm Merlin Milner wrote:
NP I am on the case. I will try and find out some info.

On 13 Nov 2008 at 5:29pm Local wrote:
Merlin - We all appreciate that and look forward to hearing more.

On 13 Nov 2008 at 5:39pm I dont live in lewes anymore wrote:
Ask about the financies Re the parking scheme while your at it.
We won't hold our breath.
Ever sceptical.
PhilX

On 13 Nov 2008 at 6:54pm Lewes Joan wrote:
Dear S Oliver
You seem to be deliberately mixing things up....
First if you look carefully, the wall you can see from the car park that has already been replaced is part of the new flats in East Street. Surely that wasn't listed?
Second, Google LW/08/0703 (I've just found that's the number of the application in yesterday's LDC papers) and you can read about the listed wall and what is proposed- rebuilding it as high as is permitted by Health and Safety, using the old bricks and to the old pattern. Seems entirely reasonable to me.

On 13 Nov 2008 at 6:54pm Lewes Joan wrote:
Dear S Oliver
You seem to be deliberately mixing things up....
First if you look carefully, the wall you can see from the car park that has already been replaced is part of the new flats in East Street. Surely that wasn't listed?
Second, Google LW/08/0703 (I've just found that's the number of the application in yesterday's LDC papers) and you can read about the listed wall and what is proposed- rebuilding it as high as is permitted by Health and Safety, using the old bricks and to the old pattern. Seems entirely reasonable to me.

On 14 Nov 2008 at 9:44am Merlin Milner wrote:
Re parking scheme I have a number of request to ESCC under the freedom of information.

On 14 Nov 2008 at 5:31pm S.Oliver wrote:
'Lewes Joan.
Unfortunately you have got your facts in a muddle. If you read the polanning report you mention, you will see that the Listed wall runs from 69, to 73 North St. This includes the section I have written about. The rebuilt section was, until a year ago, constructed from 200year old bricks, and matched the remaining part. That is, until we all saw it being demolished last year, and recorded the vandalism.
You clearly have not had a look at the wall left either, as you will see the ragged section of the surviving part, where it was severed from the rebuilit section. If you had spoken to residents affected, as I have, you will discover that they notified the Planning department, that the Council structural engineer was orchestrating this mistake, over a year ago. That is why the work stopped, and we have all been left with the lack of car parking spaces ever since.
I would appreciate it if in future you avoided using the expression 'deliberately misleading' especially when you have not got your facts right!

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Landport bound 52:132
Landport bound

Cafe du jardin on south street more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde