Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

CostaCr*p at Lewes Station

On 12 Oct 2017 at 6:15pm SaveTheRunaway wrote:
Horrified to just go to Lewes station and find that the refurb of the old paper shop on street level has turned out to be a Costa!
Please can we show that we don't need a chain (whose coffee is awful anyway) at the station. Lewes is pretty much unique in having its own independent coffee/tea/snack bar on its station. Lovely staff, great tea & even great cake.
Anyone of you who uses the station, please avoid Costa and support the Runaway.
Personally I want the paper shop back there...
On 12 Oct 2017 at 6:19pm Sam wrote:
Another chain to kill off our lovely independents, I am fed up of fast becoming soulless. Say goodbye to your favourite cafes, restaurants and pubs and hello to Crawley high St.
On 12 Oct 2017 at 6:41pm loyal wrote:
Just boycott them. And use the lovely independent on the station. (It survived a previous attack through public pressure).This has been a devious move - with Southern I'm sure very pleased!
Nasty chains can be stopped. Don't use them!
Despite personal reservations about Totnes, that town did manage to keep out Costa. And now we've got three...
PS Anyone remember the Lewes Arms boycott and picket line? Come on Lewes protect what we have left!
On 12 Oct 2017 at 6:43pm Jack wrote:
Southern forced out the paper shop; boycott on this fact alone.
On 12 Oct 2017 at 6:45pm Billy wrote:
It hasn't looked very busy the past couple of days.
On 12 Oct 2017 at 7:08pm LilacTree wrote:
I moved to Lewes 5 years ago.
When we got here, my husband kept on asking me "why do all the Lewesians keep complaining about chains in Lewes? There's still loads of independent places".
Fast forward 5 years and he, and I, can see precisely why Lewesians are against them and yes I totally agree they are destroying the soul of Lewes.
But it's no use complaining on this forum. You need to petition, object and boycott!
Sad fact is it will attract customers.
I was saddened enough by the Premier Inn (totally ill fitting for the town) but I'm absolutely dreading weatherspoons, I think it will bleed the lovely pubs in Lewes dry and cripple their business.
Hasn't the council got a responsibility to try and maintain any of Lewes's charm?
On 12 Oct 2017 at 7:36pm We'vehadourfun wrote:
If it's boycotted enough they will get the message. The one in Rottingdean, which arrived under dubious circumstances, is largely empty most of the time. Maybe the one on the platform could rise to the challenge and sharpen up just tad.....
On 12 Oct 2017 at 8:19pm Hexanchus wrote:
Yes, support The Runaway.
On 12 Oct 2017 at 8:50pm Lady Luck wrote:
Love the Runaway Love Lewes
On 12 Oct 2017 at 9:05pm Costa Plenty wrote:
At least the Premier Inn looks better than the magistrates' court and frankly, the existing hotels were either too expensive or substandard. But I agree, it's awful that Southern kicked out a perfectly good newsagent in favour of yet another Costa. I once ran a shop with a Costa concession and what I saw put me off ever drinking there.
On 12 Oct 2017 at 9:39pm Wildboy wrote:
Runaway is deffo better than costa
On 12 Oct 2017 at 10:00pm Clifford wrote:
What I can never understand is why people have to walk around clutching their cup of coffee. Years of relentless American propaganda seems to have made them think it is 'the thing to do'.
On 12 Oct 2017 at 10:02pm Chain Male wrote:
It’s funny how people are anti chain, but seems only certain chains, particularly Costa and certain ‘Italian’ outlets. The thing is, Lewes has always been full of chains, and half the people who moan almost certainly use them without batting an eyelid. If we kicked out all the chains tomorrrow, the High Street would be a lonely place.
On 12 Oct 2017 at 10:13pm Chained wrote:
@ chainmale
You made a spelling error. You used the letter 'n' when I'm quite sure you had meant to use the letter 'v' in your second to last word.
On 12 Oct 2017 at 10:18pm Me wrote:
@clifford. Yeah pissy tea in a collapsing polystyrene cup was so good wasn't it.
On 12 Oct 2017 at 10:26pm SaveTheRunaway wrote:
Heartened by the response on LF! We must spread the word and support all our (good) independents and stop the aggressive chains.
However, I concede that Its inevitable that some chains will exist in Lewes but providing they don't adopt the aggressive 'cannibalisation' business plan of so many chains (Starbucks for example are horrendous with their 'destroy all opposition by flooding an area') then I can handle that.
I certainly will walk straight past CostaLottaMoneyanditsStillCr*p and straight to platform 2 if I need a coffee.
On 12 Oct 2017 at 10:34pm Gerry Mandering wrote:
Been using the Runaway for 12 years. Best tea in Lewes, coffee is not great. But still go there, as the breakfast sandwiches are v nice.
On 13 Oct 2017 at 6:47am Earl of Lewess wrote:
@Clifford - Yes, it drives me mad too when people walk around clutching cups of coffee. It's a symptom of this absurd, American '24/7' culture where we have to be on the go all the time. What happened to the good old British tea break? I want to tell people to sit down. I can understand people doing it at Clapham Junction, on the way to work, but in Lewes it looks silly.
On 13 Oct 2017 at 7:35am Oldbutintouch wrote:
So I'm not alone! I have long been irritated by the sight of Waitrose customers wandering about town clutching their cup of cold, but free, coffee like some kind of talisman. There are frequent sightings of this daft practice as far north as Nevill and Landport - do they then microwave the coffee when they get home? Maybe I should get out more!
On 13 Oct 2017 at 9:08am Pitchfork wielder wrote:
Boycott the manure out of them. Southern have had it in for the Runaway for years. That should still be a newsagents.
On 13 Oct 2017 at 10:22am Gerty wrote:
I don't walk around with a cup of coffee but it's very odd to assume that people do so because of American culture or thinking it's for any other reason than that they want to have a coffee and walk somewhere at the same time. What an odd and narrow world view some of you must have.
On 13 Oct 2017 at 10:52am I like coffee wrote:
Hooray! A coffee shop at the station at last.
In all my time living in Lewes, I've visited The Runaway maybe three or four times. It's nearly always shut at the times I use the station. When I have eaten there it hasn't impressed me with the quality or variety on offer.
In my opinion if you want to support independent shops in Lewes there are plenty of others that are more deserving than The Runaway.
On 13 Oct 2017 at 11:18am Observer wrote:
"What I can never understand is why people have to walk around clutching their cup of coffee. Years of relentless American propaganda seems to have made them think it is 'the thing to do'."
Because:
(1) i like coffee. I really like coffee. Always have done.
(2) I have a young family and a busy job and rarely have time to sit down
On 13 Oct 2017 at 12:36pm Enigma wrote:
Then buy a jar of Nescafe
On 13 Oct 2017 at 1:38pm Variations wrote:
A bottle of Camp coffee instead of a hip(ster) flask. Kind regards Edward E.
On 13 Oct 2017 at 2:39pm Rowan wrote:
Maybe @ "I Like Coffee" hasn't noticed that The Runaway is an award winning cafe?
On 13 Oct 2017 at 2:45pm Decent coffee wrote:
I have been in the shop on the platform lots of time but the coffee is horrible, I would use it more if they just changed their machine or the beans !
I always end up with hot chocolate but some days I just need the caffeine so would go to Costa.
The service at The Runaway is also slow and ponderous , more would use it I'm sure if they would just sharpen up their coffee and service!
On 13 Oct 2017 at 3:42pm Observer wrote:
It's a pity Ground couldn't move in there. Now that's what good coffee tastes like.
On 13 Oct 2017 at 9:24pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Just go into the old paper shop/ Costa and sit down at a table while waiting for your train. Pick up a Metro and read it, or have a conversation on your phone. It is a railway station; a public service heavily subsidised by the taxpayer. If any Costa employee has the guts to tackle you, simply grumble an apology and slowly shuffle off...
On 14 Oct 2017 at 9:24am Mac wrote:
Support the runaway best g and t in Lewes and love the ladeling of the milk in your tea
On 14 Oct 2017 at 10:30am Jonny wrote:
@LilacTree - agree with all your comments, a bit of info. for you, the council have no interest whatsoever in supporting business because business rates go straight to the treasury in London. If the council were directly incentivised by central government, we might see a change in attitude from them, possibly?
And to everybody: I love The Runaway. The sandwiches and cake are excellent, you can get a beer or something stronger in there too. Use it or lose it. Costa is awful.
On 14 Oct 2017 at 10:48am Ratty wrote:
Agreed that we should all support the Runaway, it so rare to have a genuine independent cafe on a station platform these days. Their coffee is awful though. It might have been acceptable back in the 1970's, but people's tastes have moved on since then.
On 14 Oct 2017 at 2:10pm Me wrote:
Clifords taste and attitudes have not moved on since then. I might check with the cafe that they have seen this thread.
On 14 Oct 2017 at 2:42pm Platform ticket wrote:
Do you have to buy one to use the cafe ?
On 14 Oct 2017 at 9:36pm loyal wrote:
BOYCOTT - and stick to it! That's how you win with faceless, money backed outfits like SOUTHERN and COSTA. Profits - or rather any lack of them - is all they ever respond to. Never decency, proper customer service, value, fairness, or indeed any human touch. Don't give Costa's your hard earned money that will only help close down an independent business. Do you really want as a replacement an impersonal, money driven, cloned outlet with no local loyalty.
Talk to Runaway if you're not caring for their coffee but don't desert them. There's a principle at stake here.
On 15 Oct 2017 at 4:32pm Jonny wrote:
@platform ticket: thus far, one has always been able to simply ask the barrier staff to allow access to the Runaway without a ticket for travel. Let's hope Southern play fair and allow this to continue.

On 15 Oct 2017 at 5:19pm Platform Ticket wrote:
Last time I used Lewes station I went to Uckfield, and you could get tickets just to go on the platform, not travel. Times have changed then.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Harveys Dray 41:132
Harveys Dray

Trump worse than Obama? GTFO. Trump claimed a lot of things, you'd be a fool to accept it. Drone strikes and bombing raids... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington