frame-src 'self' data:

Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Corbyn vows to create 400,000 'green' jobs

On 26 Sep 2018 at 10:52am John Lewis wrote:
I have no problem with Corbyn's vision to make Britain greener, create more employment, increase the quality and even reverse private ownership of public services.
However it is hard to escape the feeling these policies are pie in the sky and completely unaffordable without large scale borrowing.
And you need a really big money tree to grow 400,000 green jobs.
On 26 Sep 2018 at 10:58am Happiness wrote:
Where is the money going to come from for these "jobs"?
A contribution put on each of our energy bills? Surely they wouldn't do that... would they?
We need a business friendly economy; not artificial jobs paid for by tax payers.
On 26 Sep 2018 at 11:35am Actually wrote:
It's probably less expensive than the cost of a recycling truck driving around every city, town and village every two weeks to pickup the recycling that get's burnt or dumped in landfill anyway.
On 26 Sep 2018 at 11:41am Really? wrote:
"Probably" less expensive...
Has Diane Abbot just joined the forum?
On 26 Sep 2018 at 11:45am Local wrote:
Solar and wind are now cheaper than thermal power subsidy free. With correct planning incentives, pre-emptive investment in the grid and possible short term subsidy for fledgling tech (like solar had, now called Contracts for Difference with National Grid) there is no reason this could not occur. As thermal comes off-line there will be people needing new skilled jobs and capacity freed up. We are happy to sink billions into the Hinkley white elephant which is using unproven tech and guaranteeing an energy price to the Chinese for 90 years that is already above market rate.. as smart grids become rolled out and embedded generation increases efficiency will increase resulting in more money for employment.
On 26 Sep 2018 at 12:00pm nancy wrote:
Won't happen because he'll never get elected.
On 26 Sep 2018 at 12:05pm Hahaha wrote:
Or he 'll deny saying it
On 26 Sep 2018 at 12:05pm Bob wrote:
Why does he need to create 400,000 jobs?
All we hear on TV at the moment is about businesses not being able to fill jobs!
On 26 Sep 2018 at 12:18pm Local wrote:
Not to mention that insulating homes is an instant no brainer. A huge proportion of the energy generated is wasted by poor insulation and housing design. This will create skilled jobs in every corner of the country.
On 26 Sep 2018 at 1:22pm Happiness wrote:
A few months ago didn't the same guy promise to "create" a million new jobs at a cost of £125bn. When it was pointed out that that worked out at £125,000 per job, it all went quiet and he never mentioned it again.
Not the same guy surely?
On 26 Sep 2018 at 2:01pm Mark wrote:
I think you're thinking of the million new homes pledge, Mr Happiness. I have no recollection of any of that other stuff.
On 26 Sep 2018 at 2:02pm Liars wrote:
Conference time is almost as bad as election time for big bold lies. I’d love for someone focus on sorting out the nhs, education, do something about housing and maybe make the trains occasionally run on time. Maybe increase Corp tax from it’s all time low if we’re truly all in it together.

Instead we get Bold Initiatives that never happen or do and turn out wasteful ideological wet dreams.
On 26 Sep 2018 at 2:04pm Local wrote:
^ The things you want are Labour policy!
On 26 Sep 2018 at 2:06pm inthegutter wrote:
With the extra £350M we're "getting back from the EU" in March next year we could easily create 400,000 green jobs (at ~£40k/pa)!
Oh... wait...
On 26 Sep 2018 at 2:10pm Happiness wrote:
Apologies Mark. I stand corrected. It was a MILLION jobs at a cost of 250BN!
It was declared on their campaign trail early June 2017. It's on the BBC and in the Independent.
He's a flaming magician!
On 26 Sep 2018 at 2:43pm inthegutter wrote:
I don't understand.
Corbyn promised £250bn to set up a national investment bank. This is money that would be lent to businesses in order to encourage growth. It won't simply be given away. Perhaps you need to be reminded that during the financial crisis the BoE injected a similar amount into the economy through QE. The difference is that the QE money went to buoying the price of assets and not encouraging growth. As for the number of jobs that will create, you can't simply divide the value by the number of jobs - that would only provide one years salary and none of the required infrastructure/equipment.
The real "magic" money tree is the £18bn pa that the Leave campaign promised us in March.
On 26 Sep 2018 at 2:51pm Watts wrote:
Makes perfect sense.We should be investing in the green technologies and the jobs of the future.Fossil fuels are a dead end.
On 26 Sep 2018 at 2:55pm inthegutter wrote:
Also worth noting that the benefits of money creation by the BoE (i.e. QE) fell mostly to the already wealthy. Worth noting that a certain CONSERVATIVE PM had this to say about QE in 2016: "Monetary policy – in the form of super-low interest rates and quantitative easing – has helped those on the property ladder at the expense of those who can't afford to own their own home." Corbyn's proposal is essentially QE but directed to stimulating growth and benefitting more than just the rich.
On 26 Sep 2018 at 3:22pm brains wrote:
The rantings of a mad man. Bankruptcy here we come

On 26 Sep 2018 at 4:53pm Clifford wrote:
Where did all 'the money' come from that we bailed out the banks with? Imagine if 'the money' had gone into something productive.
On 26 Sep 2018 at 5:25pm Inthegutter wrote:
What Corbyn proposed is no more expensive than what the BoE ACTUALLY DID. The difference being, as I already stated, that Corbyn’s scheme may have led to new growth and less wealth inequality.
Corbyn has faults but to call him a madman that will bankrupt us based on this policy is a combination of hyperbole and probably ideological bias and economic illiteracy.
On 26 Sep 2018 at 6:14pm Hyena wrote:
‘Economic illiteracy’ Step forward Diane A .
On 26 Sep 2018 at 6:24pm Inthegutter wrote:
To be fair, step forward most politicians. But especially Rees-Mogg, Farage, Davis, and Johnson.
On 26 Sep 2018 at 9:33pm Student wrote:
He's bloody lier I'm still waiting for my sweeties from the last election
On 27 Sep 2018 at 9:02am @student wrote:
Those promises weren't made by Theresa May or the DUP who form the current government.
On 27 Sep 2018 at 7:49pm Tom Pain wrote:
The money could come from small banks. Those in Germany have invested in green projects and have been successful. See short video Richard Werner~ Today's source of money creation. A speech at the Monetary Institute in Switzerland. It's very simple,even I can understand it. Small banks lend to small businesses that actually contribute to the g.d.p. Big banks like the ECB lend to big investment companies that cause bubbles and crashes. Please watch this video and find out why Germany is so economically successful and we're not.
On 28 Sep 2018 at 9:41am Mark wrote:
Thanks Tom, you're a better man than I. I found the bit about disaggregation of internal credit supply just a little bit confusing and it gave me a headache.

On 28 Sep 2018 at 4:27pm Tom Pain wrote:
You don't need to understand it to get the gist of what he's saying.l just looked it up~"separating into component parts". It's well worth listening to it a few times because what he's saying is dynamite. He's going really fast because he's got so little time to say so much. Did you catch the bit about universal basic income and the r.f.i.d. chip? It's not coming from a "conspiracy theorist" but a university professor with an international reputation.

On 28 Sep 2018 at 4:35pm Green roof wrote:
Every Council House should have photo voltaic roof panels and every Council House should drop the ridiculous % discounts of RTB, then the £ should go to build more. Then we can really " rejoice and be thankful" Re nationalise Rail and Electricity. Maybe water later.

8 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Love 70:132
Lewes Love

Motorists expectations need to be reduced. The idea that you should be able to drive everywhere at 60mph is unrealistic and they... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde