Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Continue Food in Lewes

 
 
On 1 Jul 2010 at 8:54pm Friendofyours wrote:
Thanks for all of your input, I can see that there is a massive divide between certain people in the town wanting and not wanting fast food chains, but as far as i can see you just need a down to earth restaurant/bistro with a variety of good food for all the family, that doesn't need to be expensive or exclusive also that doesn't just serve the organic food from my neighbors farm and eggs from chickens in the back garden.
I did go to Lazattis for lunch the other day which was alright the pizza was fine but the lunch time special pasta was terrible, i wouldn't have served it to anyone in my own home let alone in a restaurant...
i didn't realize that this would cause such a debate...
 
 
On 1 Jul 2010 at 10:46pm StevieD wrote:
Careful Friendofyours, some people on this forum take exception to people criticising their favourite restuarants
But seriously, I'd recommend The Swan for good value no nonsense pub food, Sunday lunches and good beer garden, Lewes Arms for excellent burgers (had one a couple of hours ago!), Chuala's or Shinaz for Indian, Lazattis for Italian (although haven't been for a while; sounds like I may need to reappraise it!),South Street for good fish&chips, Caburn Tea Room for tea&cakes. All in my humble opion of course. Can't think of a non-pub 'down to earth restaurant/bistro with a variety of good food for all the family' unfortunately but prepared to be corrected.
Sorry about the uproar your original post caused - despite slurs to the contrary I enjoy good food and don't actually want fast food chains myself, but being dictated to by arrogent Lewes NIMBYS brings out the worst in me!
1
4
On 1 Jul 2010 at 10:59pm No Pot Pourri wrote:
I have no sympathy for lazy poor people who can't be bothered to learn or take time to cook proper food. If you really aspire to eat McDonalds rubbish, move to Crawley.
 
 
On 1 Jul 2010 at 11:18pm StevieD wrote:
There's one now, right on cue...
 
 
On 2 Jul 2010 at 2:50am Simple Simon wrote:
Has anyone eaten at Mr Collison's new caff at the Bus Station yet?
3
1
On 2 Jul 2010 at 7:51am TAFKAPS wrote:
I have no sympathy for patronising souls who force their nimby, mung bean munching food fascist ways on everyone else. McD's has a place in our town alongside all the poncy bistros, that is why we have a democracy you food fascists out there!
 
 
On 2 Jul 2010 at 8:26am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Wondered where you'd got to Mr Stein!!!!!!!!!!!!
2
 
On 2 Jul 2010 at 12:57pm Uncle Sam wrote:
Funny how some people slag off those that want a McDonalds because it is sh*t food - Presumably they must eat in such places themselves to know this, or more likely someone equally snobby about their food has told them. Can someone explain meanwhile what is wrong with a chicken salad, fresh fruit and milk or fruit juice, compared to the same thing bought from a 'proper' restaurant? Or, why for that matter a burger should be any more fatty than a duck comfit ? Quite agree it is not to the same culinary standard, but that is not the point that is being made here.
As for Lazattis or the Swan being cheaper than McDonalds, well that really is 'rot'. Maybe you can get a meal for £6 and share it with a child, but how much are your drinks going to cost you on top of that? Quite a lot more I am guessing. You buy a McD meal for less than this and your drink is included.

No Pot Pourris staggeringly pompous statement about 'lazy poor people' eating at McDonalds because they can't be bothered to learn to cook for themselves is equally cr@p, as you could say the same about people eating at any restaurant.
I myself have eaten in most, if not all, of the restaurants in Lewes, but I have also on occasions eaten in, and enjoyed, McDonalds, Burger King and KFC. In general they serve a different customer base, but that does not give anyone the right to say that people are wrong or lazy for eating in them, when if truth be told their only real objection is that they don't think their restaurants would look so aesthetically pleasing on a Lewes street.
 
2
On 2 Jul 2010 at 1:29pm Clifford wrote:
I agree with you Uncle Sam about the pathetic snobbery about Mcdonalds. But I'm still surprised you use the word 'enjoyed' about their food - I assume you're using 'enjoyed' in the marketing jargon sense, where it means 'had'.
1
 
On 2 Jul 2010 at 1:29pm Old Cynic wrote:
Personally I like a MaccyD every now and then just as i like a posh meal out every now and then - you cant live on either for long as either your arteries or your wallet will fur up!. MaccyD outlets are not the yellow plastic nightmares they used to be - the last one I was in looked a bit like Costas or a Cafe Nero and there is no reason why they shouldnt do the same in Lewes. What I would want though is for MaccyD to pay for the extra rubbish bins we would need around town.
I really facy a burger now.....
3
 
On 2 Jul 2010 at 1:38pm supporter wrote:
Burger King in my view taste better than a Mcdonalds but it's all down to taste.
 
1
On 2 Jul 2010 at 2:34pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
I'd like a gourmet burger kitchen. best burgers I've eaten in a 'fast food' retaurant
The problem with all the cheaper fast food joints is the standard and quality of the food served there. Frankly, the meat is awful - reconstituted crappiest bits of the animal - yes 100 pc beef, but not the best cuts. The evidence of what fast food does to people is all around us - it may be cheap to buy but the health cost in terms of obesity is horrendous. This generation will not live as long or as healthily as the war generation and it's down to poor eating habits. Whilst people still believe it's cheaper to feed a family with fast food rather than fresh food, and whilst some people don;t know how to cook good cheap food, we have an nhs time bomb on our hands. I don't accept the argument of free choice, when really it's clever marketing and flavour enhancers that get people to go to MacD. They don't care about their customers health - they care about making the biggest profit and that includes fooling people into thinking their food is somehow healthy by adding a salad leaf to the mix.
 
 
On 2 Jul 2010 at 3:21pm Uncle Sam wrote:
It would be interesting to know what cuts of meat are actually in a McD burger, rather than what people think or urban myth, and how this differs from anyone elses burgers or minced meat products. Meanwhile, as i said before, can anyone tell me why a McD grilled chicken salad washed down with a fruit juice is and worse for you than one from Lazattis ?
2
2
On 2 Jul 2010 at 7:23pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Because Macdonalds is a nasty US-owned multi-national who play no small part in the deforestation of the Amazon basin and sue for libel those who criticise them for it.
They are bad for you in every possible way, even if you do only eat their chicken salad. Is the chicken free range, btw?
 
 
On 2 Jul 2010 at 7:23pm FINJF wrote:
Friendofyours said:
-
I did go to Lazattis for lunch the other day which was alright the pizza was fine but the lunch time special pasta was terrible, i wouldn't have served it to anyone in my own home let alone in a restaurant
-
Sorry to hear that. Its usually very good. But perhaps it depends on which chef is on. We normally go at the weekend.
-
UncleSam said :
-
As for Lazattis or the Swan being cheaper than McDonalds, well that really is 'rot'.
-
Hey Sam I never suggested that it was cheaper. Stop making up arguments so that you can shoot them down.
-
I'm not going to make any more suggestions about what people should put in their own bellies, but we should be setting a better example for our children. And with regards to outlets like McDs and KFC it's not just a food issue.
-
Its worth seeing the film "Supersize Me"? I also recommend the book Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser and from the other side see the McDonald's film about what's in their burgers - www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWx2hdG_qrE
 
 
On 2 Jul 2010 at 11:45pm Decent Citizen wrote:
I still have not seen anyone mention Prezzo. Is it because it is not known about, or something I have missed. I assure you, you are missing a treat!
 
1
On 3 Jul 2010 at 8:00am TAFKAPS wrote:
I like Prezzo, nice burgers! I also like choosing where to eat without some liberal Guardian reader telling me where i shouldn't eat! "OOhhh look some luvie made a film about McD's, lets trash it, how trendy are we Tarquin" "lets jump on the bandwagon Cynthia"
 
 
On 3 Jul 2010 at 8:07am MaccyD wrote:
I do hope you're not referring to Annette Curtin-Twitcher, TAFKAPS ?
 
 
On 3 Jul 2010 at 12:46pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I have no problem with being called a Guardian reader, MD, after all, I've never made any secret of the fact.
Calling me a liberal was a low blow though!
 
 
On 3 Jul 2010 at 2:25pm TAFKAPS wrote:
Sorry I meant communist?!
 
1
On 3 Jul 2010 at 3:25pm StevieD wrote:
"Macdonalds is a nasty US-owned multi-national who play no small part in the deforestation of the Amazon basin " - you're quite right ACT, and I'm sure it's not the only one. The answer? Change public opinion through education, or perhaps have higher taxes on 'nasty multi-nationals' - what I can guarantee WON'T work is a handful of holier than thou busybodies claiming the moral high ground and belittling anybody you dares to question their judgement.
 
 
On 3 Jul 2010 at 3:27pm StevieD wrote:
...anybody WHO dares to question their judgement. Tsk...
 
 
On 3 Jul 2010 at 6:32pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Guardian readers don't tend to be called Tarquin - that's the Torygraph, surely
 
 
On 4 Jul 2010 at 10:32am jrsussex wrote:
On the question of eating out. Friends invited my wife and I over to Hastings last night for an Indian. They took us to a restaurant situated in the Chatsworth Hotel called "Jali". Absolutely superb, one of the best Indian restaurants I have ever visited, menu far removed from normal Indian type menu coupled with great service. Can't advise on costs as we were there as guests so didn't see the bill and thought it impolite to ask. Waiter told me the restaurant had won a rare indian food award.
 
 
On 4 Jul 2010 at 10:38am Clifford wrote:
I've got my own views about what is wrong with the Guardian (trendy, middle-class, hypocritical, a bit right-wing at heart) - but I'd like to hear from the inferiority-complex crowd who come on here using 'Guardian reader' as a term of abuse actually see as the paper's faults.
 
 
On 4 Jul 2010 at 1:36pm ANGRY PIRATE wrote:
YARGH! Suckle at the teat of MaccyDs!
Surely they'd arf moved in if they thought it'd make 'em a buck. Don't whinge ear, write to the MMMMMMMMMM HQ.
Besides, every landlubber noes pizza express is da bomb!
1
 
On 5 Jul 2010 at 1:02pm Uncle Sam wrote:
Going back a few, FINJF said 'Uncle Sam wot a load of rot! Kids eat FREE at Lazattis Mon-Fri 5-6pm and Sat 3-6pm and Sun 12-6pm and you can get 2 pizzas for £9.95.'
AC-T made a similar statement about the Swan. I can only presume that these statements were made to suggest that these two establishments were cheaper than McD as that is what we were discussing. If not, I apologise, but please then explain what point you were trying to make by this remark.
Also, it's funny that now that some of the so called experts have been challenged on their statements about the quality and ingredients of McD meals, they have changed their tune and the argument now is that McD are an American multinational responsible for deforestation. Are Burger King to blame as well? How about KFC ? How many chickens are farmed in the Amazon ? This discussion was not just about McD after all.
As for the film 'Supersize Me' - yes I have seen it, and of course if you eat nothing else for a month it is going to make you ill. No offence to Lazattis, but if you ate nothing else but their pasta and meatballs (supersized of course) and drank nothing but large glasses of red wine for a month you would probably not feel very well either. We are not talking about eating at McD three time a day every day though, so that argument is a bit tenuous if not irrelevant.
I don't have any particular desire for their to be a McD, KFC, Burger King or anything else in Lewes, but I would have no particular objection either. My only objection is being told whether I should or should not eat there if there was.
 
 
On 5 Jul 2010 at 1:45pm StevieD wrote:
"I don't have any particular desire for their to be a McD, KFC, Burger King or anything else in Lewes, but I would have no particular objection either. My only objection is being told whether I should or should not eat there if there was" My point entirely Uncle Sam!
 
 
On 5 Jul 2010 at 3:30pm Uncle Sam wrote:
Thank you StevieD
 
 
On 6 Jul 2010 at 7:43pm FINJF wrote:
Uncle Sam said:
-
" I can only presume that these statements were made to suggest that these two establishments were cheaper than McD as that is what we were discussing. "
-
I can't speak for AC-T, but my statement was rather precise. It is a leap of logic on your part to presume that this implies that Lazattis would be cheaper than a Big-Mac meal deal or whatever.
 
 
On 7 Jul 2010 at 1:58pm Uncle Sam wrote:
I do apologise FINJF, but if you are going to quote my posts then please quote in full as the very next thing I said was 'If not, I apologise, but please then explain what point you were trying to make by this remark.'

Why would you make the statement other than in the context of the thread and my post immediately before it when I made the point that some people could not afford to go to Lazattis or other 'proper' restaurants, but could afford to go to McD. I hardly consider my understanding of your reply to be any great leap of logic, but obviously you do. Perhaps therefore you could enlighten me as to what point you were actually trying to make?, or are you just looking to argue with me whatever ?
 
 
On 7 Jul 2010 at 4:55pm FINJF wrote:
UC
-
You've just said "are you just looking to argue with me whatever ?" - it takes two sides to argue, if you quote me and make incorrect inferences from my words, you can hardly accuse me of "looking to argue" when I reply. You were presumably anticipating a response otherwise you would not be using question marks.
-
In the other thread you said:
-
"there are many people living in Lewes that cannot afford to take their families to eat in places like Lazattis, Pelham House or any other 'proper' restaurant for that matter. Taking them to somewhere like McDonalds is second best, and the quality of the food might not be so good, but how many kids care about that, and at least it is relatively affordable (certainly much cheaper than Circa or Lazattis)
-
By lumping Lazattis with Circa in one place and Pehalm House in another you are suggesting that meals at Lazattis, Circa and Pelham House are of a similar expense. Furthermore you openly admit in this sentence that you are of the opinion that quote: McDonalds is second best, and the quality of the food might not be so good [as the aforementioned 'proper' restaurants]: endquote. I concur with this assessment. I indicated in my earlier post that children can eat free at Lazattis and you can get 2 pizzas for under a tenner which. For something that you agree is of superior quality to the "second-best" McDonalds, this is not to be sniffed at, and it doesn't align with the prices one might expect to pay at Pelham House (or with the former Circa) There was nothing in my reply to suggest a meal at Lazattis with beer/wine/softdrinks, coffees and desserts and would cheaper than a Burger and Fries at McDs. Again this was a leap of logic. Linking the words I wrote with your earlier reference to McDs being cheaper and inferior.
-
Now I have made my point three times. You have already indicated that you think I am simply arguing with you for that sake of it. So I will make no further responses. I have also avoided asking questions so that you will not feel obliged to respond. Good day.
 
 
On 7 Jul 2010 at 5:37pm Uncle Sam wrote:
Again FINJF, if you read my posts properly rather than assuming I was saying something that I am actually not, then you could have saved yourself a lot of time writing the above.

Firstly, in respect of the discussion over who is cheapest, the two stablishments that I 'lumped' together were actually the Swan and Lazattis - purely because they were the ones mentioned by you and AC-T. My words that you quote above however were made in a different context in a different part of the discussion. Look who is making incorrect inferences now!

Secondly, I used a question mark because I was asking you a question, not as an invitation for an argument - what do you use them for ?

Thirdly, in my earlier post I said 'I can only presume that these statements were made to suggest that these two establishments were cheaper than McD as that is what we were discussing. If not, I apologise, but please then explain what point you were trying to make by this remark.' What did you not understand about that? I gave you the chance to say that my understanding of your statement was wrong, and I apologised for it in advance, but you chose to ignore that and just take some of my words out of context.

Fourthly, I never mentioned 'beers/wines/soft drinks, coffees and desserts'.
I just said 'drinks'. If you are going to disagree with me, at least have the decency to disagree with something I have actually said !

Finally, I agree, you have now explained what you meant (not three times, but once is enough), although it would have been much better, and saved a lot of bother, if you could have just done this when I asked you the question to start with.

And a good day to you too. Bored now.
 
 
On 7 Jul 2010 at 10:04pm FINJF wrote:
"I used a question mark because I was asking you a question, not as an invitation for an argument - what do you use them for ?"
-
Questions by definition encourage answers. I provided answers. You labelled it an argument. I'm not complaining that questions were answered. You are.
Now you say -
"discussion over who is cheapest, the two stablishments that I 'lumped' together were actually the Swan and Lazattis"
You have been complaining about my comment on the previous thread where I said:
-
"Uncle Sam wot a load of rot"
-
This was in a post made on Thu 1 Jul at: 13:10. It was a reply to a post you made on 1 Jul at: 12:57 and I have quoted from the post above hopefully finally clarifying the meaning. In THAT post you refer to linking Lazattis with Circa and Pelham House.
-
You now say "Firstly, in respect of the discussion over who is cheapest, the two stablishments that I 'lumped' together were actually the Swan and Lazattis"
-
Now you are either being dishonest or stupid. You only lumped them together in THIS thread on July 2, in which you decided to suggest that I had implied that Lazattis was cheaper.
-
The comment you objected to was made BEFORE you linked these two establishments and the link you've made is a total red herring because I have made not one mention of the Swan, until the post I am making now. I earlier included a disclaimer not associating myself with AC-T's comments regarding the Swan.
-
I replied to call foul for you falsely (apparently through misinterpretation) claiming that I had made a claim about Lazattis being cheaper than MacDonalds.
-
You said "I can only presume that these statements were made to suggest that these two establishments were cheaper than McD as that is what we were discussing. If not, I apologise, but please then explain what point you were trying to make by this remark."
-
My response to this was to point out to you that my earlier comment had been rather precise i.e. it provided specific information and made no explicit or implicit claims about X being cheaper than Y. It should not have needed further clarification. But it seems you wanted to continue to argue and/or had forgotten that you had lumped together Lazatttis and Cicrca/Pelham House as expensive restaurants. So I was required for the sake of clarity to be more explicit in a further post.
 
 
On 7 Jul 2010 at 11:56pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
@FINJF and Uncle Sam - apart from nitpicking about each other's posts, you seem to be in agreement about McD ! But I bet you are both in the legal or journalist professions given the way you have both dissected each others arguments !
 
 
On 8 Jul 2010 at 2:17pm Uncle Sam wrote:
My God FINJF, do you have a life ???

I started reading your last response (the one you said you were not going to make I might add) but frankly I got bored before I got half way through it. You obviously do not understand the concept that the discussion within threads can move on, and that remarks made about in one context are not necessarily made about the subject as a whole - I refer to the 'lumping together' of eating establishments. In one context Lazattis was lumped together with Circa/Pelham House and in another context with the Swan (which is I believe the part of the discussion that is causing you problems). It doesn't follow that these connection apply overall.

If I had actually said what you are arguing against, then I would be agreeing with you, but the fact is I didn't, at least not in the context that you say.

Now it obviously turns you on to sift through posts with a fine toothed comb trying to unearth inconsistancies, whether real or imagined, and jumping to wrong conclusions, but I really don't have time. I made my point several days ago now, and if you didn't understand it then it is not my concern. I don't really care if you disagree with it, and I certainly don't see the fun in carrying on a pointless argument with you about it.

So, go on, have the last word if it makes you feel better....
 
 
On 9 Jul 2010 at 12:43am FINJF wrote:
You asked me a question did you not? No, don't answer that, you did. I replied and also felt obliged to point out your errors. I called your earlier post possibly dishonest and I'm still inclined to believe that because you are now claiming that the discussion had moved on and that you lumping Lazattis and The Swan together in some later post was somehow relevant to my earlier post which was the one you objected to. This is a clear red herring. Although I suspect dishonesty overall I'm also inclined to believe that your earlier error is in part caused by a reading comprehension problem and the fact that you don't appear interested in properly reading my last reply adds weight to that.
 
 
On 9 Jul 2010 at 10:54am Judge John Deed wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen of the Jury, before you return your verdict, let us just summarise the evidence as presented so far :-

Uncle Sam claimed that, despite the quality of the food, fast food outlets (McD, KFC, B King etc.) present a cheaper option for a family with kids than so called 'proper' restaurants such as Lazattis, Circa/Pelham House etc. For the sake of clarity, let us call these lump 1.

To counter this statement, prices were quoted by FINJF for Lazattis and by AC-T for the Swan. We will call these lump 2 (it is important to note however, that prices were not quoted for Circa/Pelham so they are excluded from this lump) In the context of the discussion it is not unreasonable to assume that the prices were quoted in order to illustrate that these establishments are as cheap/cheaper than the afore-mentioned fast food outlets. The point was made by Uncle Sam that this was not a like for like comparison, and with the additional cost of a drink Lazattis and the Swan would indeed be more expensive.

The proceedings have been clouded by lengthy and unnecessary posts claiming who said what, in response to who, and at what time, along with claims of dishonesty, however none of the above is difficult to understand, and what is more there is no reason to doubt that the truth of the statements made.

My learned friend Brixtonbelle suggested a possible background in the legal profession, I can only assume in the case of FINJF that this would be as a 'no win no fee' lawyer, as I can see no other reason to keep on flogging the same dead horse.



This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

Homeward bound 44:132
Homeward bound

Too busy working to write too busy working messages. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington